Toning query from an amateur with an unsatisfactory body!

Madeleine

I wondered if I could get any advice, as a non-bodybuilder whose fitness regime is comparatively very lax. I'm probably not posting on the right forum, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. All I want to do is improve my physique. I have lost weight and my top half is probably as 'fat free' as you could get. However my bottom half has plenty of fat and so looks ridiculous. I've no idea of my body fat percentage and it probably wouldn't mean much considering the uneven distribution. The areas I am especially concerned about are my knees and buttocks.

My boyfriend reckons I just need to 'tone' my bum, but I'm sure the poor shape is to do with there being fat and it is obviously wobbly and sags. Could working on toning possibly improve the shape or do I need to concentrate on losing yet more weight? I have tried exercises designed for the glutes (admittedly not for long) but they put a lot of strain on my thighs (already bigger than I'd like) and I don't feel anything in my glutes, so I have the sense that they aren't doing anything to them. Does just clenching your buttocks really do anything at all to tone them?

Well there's no such thing as 'toning' really, just gaining/losing fat/muscle, I would recommend doing squats, lunges and good mornings about 2 or 3 times a week, eat some protein and see how it goes, it's not unusual for women to carry fat in the lower part of the body so don't feel embarrassed.