Gloves - The Controversy

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

prsaraogi
Rabbit

Gloves - The Controversy

#1 Postby prsaraogi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:23 am

How many people wear gloves in a gym? I realize a lot of power lifters don't prefer gloves. But I don't want calluses on my hands and the weights hurt lesser when I have gloves on. Are there any stats / surveys on the number of people that wear gloves vs those who don't?

Eiji
Manatee

Re: Gloves - The Controversy

#2 Postby Eiji » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:59 am

I don't like gloves. They make your grip less effective. Don't actually prevent callouses when using effective weight (heavy). If you don't want callouses don't lift or get a pumice stone. I guess I'm old fashioned but I like my hands tough enough to do actual work.
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#3 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:40 pm

Can you imagine a true strength athlete with lovely soft hands? After 2 and half decades of training ive yet to meet one...

Eiji
Manatee

#4 Postby Eiji » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:51 pm

I've never even met a real man with lovely soft hands.
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

jmf
Rabbit

#5 Postby jmf » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:26 pm

no gloves...padded ones make the bar feel thicker, which (IMO) reduces grip strength.

Skeering
Rabbit

#6 Postby Skeering » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:28 pm

If you want to improve your grip you should try chalk or rosin. Both work really well and help stop you slipping.

Rolandnaf
Finch

Gloves The Controversy

#7 Postby Rolandnaf » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:04 pm

I am amazed that the number of people that do not wear gloves when they ride. If you know anyone that has gone down without them they usually say the wish they had them at the time of the unintended get-off. So what do you wear?

Tensolator
Rabbit

#8 Postby Tensolator » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:44 pm

Gloves when I cycle. If someone wants use them in the gym then I really don't care. Wear them if you want.
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

Some Indonesian junk that's going round...- Cheap Trick

Return to “General Discussion”