Gloves - The Controversy

prsaraogi

How many people wear gloves in a gym? I realize a lot of power lifters don't prefer gloves. But I don't want calluses on my hands and the weights hurt lesser when I have gloves on. Are there any stats / surveys on the number of people that wear gloves vs those who don't?

I don't like gloves. They make your grip less effective. Don't actually prevent callouses when using effective weight (heavy). If you don't want callouses don't lift or get a pumice stone. I guess I'm old fashioned but I like my hands tough enough to do actual work.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've worn gloves at work, either in a warehouse or working construction. In the warehouse it was a safety issue handling metal Jeep parts. On the job site it was safety, keeping the hands clean from stuff.

At home I had a gym and the regular barbell bar was 1" which seemed thin for my large hands so gloves gave a thickness to the bar, also the metal was cold down in my basement.

At a gym I never wear gloves, just don't bother. W sold our house and my home gym to downsize after our kids have long left home and moved into a large condo style apartment building. It has a fitness center, I never use gloves, don't really think to even though I still have the old gloves I use to use, some cheap Walmart jobbies.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only worn gloves when I was doing heavy deadlifting with the trap bar. For me it prevented discomfort. I don't like wearing them for anything else because they make my hands sweat. I've met many people who simply prefer chalk.