Cheap source for vegan-friendly protein? (Happy to bulk buy)

mrfiasko

4 pack of organic tofu at Costco is $5 and a case of soy milk is $13. Can't get much cheaper than that. Plus so many benefits from getting your protein from whole food vs a powder stripped of nutrients.

I hope you're not suggesting that tofu and soy milk are whole foods...because they most certainly are not. In your quest for crowning soy as the king of protein, don't neglect the benefits of getting protein from diversified sources.

OP: google your request...there are plenty of sources for bulk vegan protein powders.

Lol I have no agenda for the crowning of anything.

Soy milk is blended soybeans and most certainly is a whole food

Tofu is minimally processed. Soy milk is heated and as it heats it coagulates and forms curds that are formed into blocks.

Lol I have no agenda for the crowning of anything.

oh? Oct 17, you wrote: "...Soy on the other hand is God's gift to vegan athletes. It's a perfect protein..." while you tell this guy to eat nothing but processed soy....hmm....

Yes, processed soy, as soy milk and tofu...in your own words: "blended", "heated", "coagulates"

Eiji,

Some of your advice is so bad, I can't forget it...lol. Seriously bro, get some time under your belt as a vegan to see if your "principles" stand the test of time, then, MAYBE you'll have some advice that has a gram of value. In the meantime, you have a lot to learn.

Ok man. You're the resident expert. My advice to eat whole foods and minimally processed vs stripped of nutrition protein powders is bad. Me letting people know that carbs are not bad but our primary fuel of choice for intense work is bad. Getting good sleep is bad. Letting people know that the soy myth is propoganda from the Weston price foundation along with the whole low carb nonsense. Soy is probably the best source of protein for the vast majority of vegetarians/vegans. Look to Asia for that. 60/20/20 is sooo baaddd. I am so sorry expert jmf. I will def make sure to run all my posts by you before they publish.

Look man our opinions differ. You love your protein powder. I know that. It's ok. People all over eat differently and train differently yet still produce the results they are training for. We all don't have to be like you or agree.

When did I ever say eat nothing but processed soy. You cannot argue the quality of soy as a protein source can you? So in your opinion to be a healthy vegan athlete I need to injest a pea/rice/hemp protein powder? How long have people even eaten hemp? If I then align my opinions with yours they will then have value?

Look...your opinion of soy is just that...your premeditated opinion...and I'd like to see you spend some time with it to prove it out. Nobody has done any long term studies on muscle hypertrophy or atrophy on protein, or soy...they are ALL short term.

While I've only been vegan for five years, I screwed around for four years to learn that low protein and all soy protein is simply inferior to a diversifying your protein sources, and increasing your protein intake in conjunction with resistance training. The OP asked about where to buy bulk protein...and your suggestion is to load up on soy from Costco...and I think the OP deserves better advice than that.

Your better advice "google it" nice

I would like to add that bulk black beans at Costco are also very affordable. I wish they had garbanzo beans as well. Organic brown rice is good to. Soy products are great because they have a concentration of very high quality protein but do not misunderstand that I would suggest neglecting other sources as well. My opinion much to the annoyance of jmf, because apparently he is the only one here that writes facts and not opinions, is that you are much, much better off getting your protein from whole and minimally processed foods including SOY PRODUCTS. I think that is great advice. But if you really want to throw your hard earned money at nutritionally deficient protein powders try MRM veggie.

indeed, google is a far better for searching "bulk protein powder" than me...lol.

My opinion, at least has some real world experience and time behind it. Eiji's opinion: as a vegan for 5-6 months...his digestive system hasn't even finished adjusting yet to his own diet...lol.

My being vegan for however many months has no bearing on whether supplementing with protein powders is better or worse than getting your protein from whole foods or minimally processed foods.

I say even if I was still a meat eater getting nutrition from whole and minimally processed food is always better than getting your protein from a jug from some unregulated industry who's sole concern is corporate profits. That is my awful advice. Seriously give it a rest

Why don't u start a log or something instead of making it your quest to troll my posts

...I say even if I was still a meat eater getting nutrition from whole and minimally processed food is always better than getting your protein from a jug from some unregulated industry who's sole concern is corporate profits...

...and you think the soybean market isn't concerned about corporate profits???!!! I hate to tell you, it is a HUGE business and big money is involved...just like the meat/dairy industry. (and the protein supplement industry) The these are all big business out to make a buck over our health...and there is TONS of biased and special interest content floating around the internet in support of each position. My point is...instead of citing this biased info, let's focus on our own personal experiences and results.

I'm with you on the whole foods thing...but I'll disagree that soy is perfect (or that it is a whole food), because in my personal experience, I gave up a lot of benefits by relying on soy as a primary protein source. Perhaps you'll find that your results differ...and in the course of that, it would be interesting to see what other things you did different than me to achieve success (or how you measure success, based on your goals). Only time and sharing our results can possibly uncover that...I'll put up a log.

Sounds good. I know that my personal experience with a high protein diet worked well for training that was limited to anaerobic workouts 5-6x per week. Once I started including endurance, 2 a days, metcons, I ran out of glycogen and carbs, and started burning up protein for energy. My sweat started smelling of ammonia, my recovery plummeted and I started getting fevers after strenuous activity. Increasing carbs and cutting out protein powders solved my issues and I was able to continue my training.