The Sun

Tensolator

I have been reading Ken Cooper' s Start Strong Finish Strong. I have always enjoyed Dr. Cooper' s work on cardiovascular exercise, and his book Aerobics kind of dented my skull in realizing the importance of conditioning exercises. One thing that I disagree with him however, is the Sun. He sets the Sun up there with cigarettes and corned beef as a life stopper. Statistic indicate that melanoma is, in reality, a rather infrequent cancer. Of the 300,000,000 people who live in the States, 55,000 died of melanoma last year.

Although I wouldn't want my kids oiling up with baby oil and baking for a few hours, I do not understand Sun phobia. It gives life, fights depression, produces Vit D, and is connected with lower incidences of bowel cancers. Am I underestimating the center of our solar system?

I agree with you 100% the whole sun scare is bullshit and it annoys me immensely. Humans are built to be outdoors and its part of the reason vitamin D is essential and is synthesized from sunlight. I remember first becoming curious about the sunscreen push when there was an article about melanoma and the sun tanning industry. It was saying how fake tanning is billion dollar industry. Well the sunscreen industry is a 30 billion dollars industry. There is also lots of research that the products included in sunscreen are extremely carcinogenic. the EWG puts out a guide to sunscreen which is good. Other then that read this http://www.muscleforlife.com/sun-exposure-and-skin-cancer-is-sun-protection-as-important-as-we-think/ it highlights lots of the research that shows that sun scare is essentially bullshit. Avoid severe sun-burns, other than that you are good.

I also read an article a long time ago but I can't remember where but about research showing that the danger from the sun comes because people are exposed to it as it is filtered through glass, which filters out one of the UV spectrums but not the other, thats why office workers have a high rate of melanoma. Can't add anymore to that but I think its interesting, that more and more we hear about it while people see less and less sun.

• 7 months later...

The rates of melanoma depend on exposure. While the rate is about 2.1 persons per 100,000 people in the US, it's 71 persons per 100,000 in Australia. This, of course, affects more whites than persons of any other skin color. This means people with lighter skin in sun-bathed areas, such as light-skinned persons in India, are at a higher risk.

To compare approximate latitude and general skin color, countries like China and South Korea have very low mortality from skin cancer while the US has relatively high rates from skin cancer. The reason is because people in these countries take precautions against UV exposure through special UV clothing. Tanning is also seen as something to avoid for aesthetic reasons, so most of them do not deliberately expose themselves to the sun even when on the beach.

Comparing rates between the US and South Korea, it seems like a good step would be to avoid UV exposure. That doesn't mean wearing sunscreen, which can have carcinogens, but just using things like a sun umbrella, long-sleeved loose clothing, and so on. These practices are also used in places like the Middle East, which has a high sun exposure and some light-skinned persons, and the death rate for melanoma is quite low there as well.

• 7 months later...

Just like lemonlifts said, the problem is the Sun's UV rate. The Sun is necessary for life, no doubt, but imagine like in many Asia countries where summer is extremely hot, exposing themselves under the Sun will be pretty dangerous: headache, skin-burn, etc... For example in Vietnam, I saw plenty of people wearing Sun-blocking stuffs to prevent exposure under the sunlight.

I guess in Europe or America, the Sun isn't much of a problem but in Asia countries, it can be lethal.

• 3 weeks later...
Just like lemonlifts said, the problem is the Sun's UV rate. The Sun is necessary for life, no doubt, but imagine like in many Asia countries where summer is extremely hot, exposing themselves under the Sun will be pretty dangerous: headache, skin-burn, etc... For example in Vietnam, I saw plenty of people wearing Sun-blocking stuffs to prevent exposure under the sunlight.

I guess in Europe or America, the Sun isn't much of a problem but in Asia countries, it can be lethal.

I dare to disagree with you about Europe, because the weather conditions differ a lot depending on which country are we looking at.

Some of the Europe countries are very hot on the summer and very cold on winter as well.

Some of the east E. countries have 30-40C on summer in the shadow and -15 -5C at winter. That is quite a hard conditions, I'd say.

I dare to disagree with you about Europe, because the weather conditions differ a lot depending on which country are we looking at.

Some of the Europe countries are very hot on the summer and very cold on winter as well.

Some of the east E. countries have 30-40C on summer in the shadow and -15 -5C at winter. That is quite a hard conditions, I'd say.

Seems I'm too fast in jumping into conclusion. Sorry if it sounds misleading .

• 5 years later...
On 4/6/2016 at 1:21 AM, twwalks said:

I agree with you 100% the whole sun scare is bullshit and it annoys me immensely. Humans are built to be outdoors and its part of the reason vitamin D is essential and is synthesized from sunlight. I remember first becoming curious about the sunscreen push when there was an article about melanoma and the sun tanning industry. It was saying how fake tanning is billion dollar industry. Well the sunscreen industry is a 30 billion dollars industry. There is also lots of research that the products included in sunscreen are extremely carcinogenic. the EWG puts out a guide to sunscreen which is good. Other then that read this  it highlights lots of the research that shows that sun scare is essentially bullshit. Avoid severe sun-burns, other than that you are good.

I also read an article a long time ago but I can't remember where but about research showing that the danger from the sun comes because people are exposed to it as it is filtered through glass, which filters out one of the UV spectrums but not the other, thats why office workers have a high rate of melanoma. Can't add anymore to that but I think its interesting, that more and more we hear about it while people see less and less sun.

I think that everyone should find their own methods in the fight against bad conditions. For me, this is primarily tracking my emotions and states https://us.calmerry.com/blog/therapy/do-you-have-anxiety-try-this-anxiety-test And this anxiety test helped me with that. Thanks to this, I was able to pull my problems out into the open.

Great information

Edited by Nico