become a personal trainer?? life goals?

V VII Hero

I might beat compassionategirl with how long this post is

JK you know I <3 ya.

Ive read that both veggiechik and kollision are both certified trainers! that is awesome.

how hard is it to find employment? I really want to go get certified but I am not sure if I want to drop $5400 to do so, if Im not gonna be able to find employment. Im broke and in debt already as it is.

here is where i was thinking of attending:

http://www.nationalpersonaltraininginstitute.com/

Ive checked it out and it seems like a good deal. some classroom learning and hands on.

does anyone know if a gym (if I work there at front desk, sales, etc) will pay me to go get certified? cause that be a lot neater.

I really want to move to portland, oregon more than anything. but i guess I need a "career" in order to find employment.

my original goal (since I was a teen) was to go to the rookie academy in new zealand before I turned 23 (im 22 in november).

http://www.rookieacademy.com/

become a universally certified snowboard instructor (i taught a few yrs here in PA, and have been doing snowsports since the age of 2). but most of everyone i know was down on me doing this, saying its not a real career. so i went to community college. it sucked. so i went to real uni. and that sucked too. switched majors a few times. then dropped out cause school is not for me at all. I am tired of schools. even the personal training institute sounds good in theory, but i am tired of learning from textbooks and all that. I hated anatomy and physiology in college, and I fails it. even when i tried hard to pass it. i just cant memorize a ton of stuff.

and here I am with zero dollars, owe money for college loans, and have no idea what i want to do with my life. I just want to get out and do things. Im tired of being stuck at home working shit jobs to invest what lil money i earn back into making my car functional. its one viscious cycle. Id like to be living in portland, snowboarding.working at mt hood/timberline, getting around using public transportation and cycling, bodybuilding like crazy, travelling a lot, rocking out, and continuing to help push veganism into the mainstream. I dont care about money, fame, and fortune. just helping ppl and animals, and enjoying life while I can. in the snowboard "offseason" id like to go instruct in a different country every yr (since i will be certified to instruct snowboarding anywhere in the world), and then come back on during the regular season.

anyway i know i am rambling and more thoughts will come to me and i will be sure to post them later. but does anyone have any "2 cents" on my situation. thanks.

Topher,

You can get certified like I did through ISSA. They have been around since 1988 and have accredidation. Heres the site: http://www.issaonline.com/

Basically they send you a text book, the test, along with other stuff. You study at your own leisure and its pretty much open book. Or if you dont want to take the Independant Exam, you can go to a Seminar and take the test there.

Having a Certification just opens the door for you, but most gyms (24 Hour, Bally's) you have to take a week course of their own certification. This is actually beneficial to the trainer as you gain more information and how the gym works. You can even get hired at Ballys without certification (I had 2 friends do this) but they still need to take their examination and even the week course. Also, the pay is something that is different as well. Of course you get paid more with a certification. And also, most gyms require a certification, so they were lucky.

My course was around $550. You have 2 years for completion. Here are a list of courses you can get certified in from ISSA. I took the first one obviously.

http://www.issaonline.com/courses/index.cfm

The staff (well I interacted with one) is a really nice person by the name of Patrick Gamboa. He did some natural bodybuilding shows as well. Really helpful and knowledgable guy. There is a discussion board where you can post questions, help others with questions, etc.

If you have any more questions mate, feel free to ask me.

I might beat compassionategirl with how long this post is

What is this "pick on Natalie" week?

First Sirdle and now Hero?

i guess i will take a hiatus from here for a while then.

Compassion Girl OUT

no dont go. I didnt mean no harm. please stay Natalie. I was just playin. I actually love your messages.

Kollision,

Thanks for the info, I am interested in becoming a certified personal trainer as well. When people hear I'm a bodybuilder, they always assume I'm a personal trainer as well, and many think I should be (since I'm a natural motivator)

So I'll think about it as well.

Hey Topher, if you take the route that Big K took, I could go through it at the same time, we could help each other out.

And Toph-dogg, I know what you mean about 1/4 life crises...I've been through those many times! Usually when I'm in a state of having no money or questioning my main interests. So it's a normal thing to go through, no worries mate.

And Compassionategirl, you know we love you. They are just friendly remarks, just like You and Ash and Dan tease each other. Please don't stay away too long, you are one of the main people who keeps us all together in our tight knit group, since you welcome and encourage every new person who joins us.

-Robert

Guys -

I was just joshin'. I luv all you guys too much to stay away, and I know you were just jokin Hero. That is why i used the wink emoticon - to try and convey that I know you were joking and to tell you i was just joshin back. sorry if my tone came across as serious.

I actualy have an exam in a week - so if I am scarce for a week, its not because of anything anybody said.

Its all in fun, good spirit and jokin.

Hey Topher, if you take the route that Big K took, I could go through it at the same time, we could help each other out.

And Toph-dogg, I know what you mean about 1/4 life crises...I've been through those many times! Usually when I'm in a state of having no money or questioning my main interests. So it's a normal thing to go through, no worries mate.

that route actually sounds good to me. you want to wait til I move out to portland? so we can both study the same things together and help each other out and whatnot. cause that be great. Kollision's way sounds much cheaper and easier then the way I was gonna do it. heh.

it looks like Im gonna try to get a local warehouse job again, get out of debt, save up and move.

because i dont think college is for me, my mom wants to shove me on medication and make me go to counseling, because she thinks I am "free-riding" my way thru life, and am too sel-indulgent. anyway thats for another time I wont even get into that bs. but ive got a lot breathin down my neck.

I'm glad Kollision shared the method that he went through, so you can get an idea of all the options before deciding on something. It is great to know of many different ways to accomplish the same goal.

I'll catch you on IM sometime soon to chat about some things.

Life changes all the time, based on new information we get and find ways we can apply it.

Keep your options open and see where they take you.

because i dont think college is for me, my mom wants to shove me on medication and make me go to counseling, because she thinks I am "free-riding" my way thru life, and am too sel-indulgent. anyway thats for another time I wont even get into that bs. but ive got a lot breathin down my neck.

Oh man, it's good to hear someone else is in the same boat. My mom is the EXACT same way as you just described yours. Don't worry, I don't think college is for everyone either - I'm about to graduate from the nation's top journalism school, and I don't have a clue what I want to do. I kind of feel like I've just been punching the time card for the last few years. Go for the fitness training thing - I think you'd be awesome at it. Good luck.

Rob and Topher, thanks for the kind words. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. The thing with certified personal training, is that it is just like CPR (which you need to take a 4 hour course of as part of your CFT course), every two years you need to renew. So basically, you have to pay for another course in 2 years. It can be any course. THis is actually good so that you broaden your field of expertise. You also don't need to do it at ISSA, you can go to NASM or another accredited company that has CEU (continuing education units).

Again if you want more info, feel free to ask. Ya'll have my AIM and MySpace.

Also another thing that would be good is if you get a First Aid certification as well. American Heart Association does both CPR (The Heartsaver & AED course) as well as First Aid. Just add more to your reppetoir. Also the CPR and First Aid classes are good if you are going to go for security at a club or something, in case people get injured. Small things like this, are a big thing.

Thanks for all the great info man, yeah, we'll be in touch with you for sure!

I am an expert at first aid and CPR. I've been working with kids for 10 years so always renewing those. I was thinking about getting certified to teach first aid and CPR too because I like it so much.

We'll off for another protein drink, catch you guys later.

Robert

Thanks for all the great info man, yeah, we'll be in touch with you for sure!

I am an expert at first aid and CPR. I've been working with kids for 10 years so always renewing those. I was thinking about getting certified to teach first aid and CPR too because I like it so much.

We'll off for another protein drink, catch you guys later.

Robert

Ya bro I understand what you mean. You would be a great teacher. Its like 6 or somethin' hours for the teaching course.

after today's interesting events and conversations (Thanks Rob for the phonecall).I'm going thru with the national personal training institute. my mind is set. I just gotta pound out the details and im all set.

thanks ya'll. im gonna be a personal trainer by next may! wohoo!!

after today's interesting events and conversations (Thanks Rob for the phonecall).I'm going thru with the national personal training institute. my mind is set. I just gotta pound out the details and im all set.

thanks ya'll. im gonna be a personal trainer by next may! wohoo!!

Good luck brother, and good you got your mind set!

someone saw the veganbodybuilding flyer at the local heatlhfood store today, and they saw that we offer training. so when this person went to the cashier to ask about the online training, she was wondering if I could train her in person as well. so the healthfood store lady contacted me and asked if she could give my number out. this had to be another sign that Im stepping in the right direction by getting certified.

this had to be another sign that Im stepping in the right direction by getting certified.

definitely,

your passion for clean living and your 6 pack tells me that this is what you were meant to do.

i think that you will have an extremely successful career as a a personal trainer, and keep promoting veganism too!!

I predict that you will be well-known in the industry in no time.

Hey topher, thats really good to hear mate!

How did you get your flyer up there? You jsut asked him if you could post it?

well one day I had thanked the ladies who worked at the healthfood store for providing me with such great service, and I gave them a flyer. and told them all about the website and everything. and that if they get anymore vegans that come in or anyone that nees info on veganism and bodybuilding to hit up the website. when I went to England, I came back to find out that they had put the flyer up on their bulletinboard (as soon as you walk in). it was really neat.

this had to be another sign that Im stepping in the right direction by getting certified.

definitely,

your passion for clean living and your 6 pack tells me that this is what you were meant to do.

i think that you will have an extremely successful career as a a personal trainer, and keep promoting veganism too!!

I predict that you will be well-known in the industry in no time.

awww thanks Nat.

the 6 pack is slowling disappearing though, as I am trying to bulk up (when I can afford to eat right). but dont worry it will come back in time.

Hey topher, thats really good to hear mate!

How did you get your flyer up there? You jsut asked him if you could post it?

well one day I had thanked the ladies who worked at the healthfood store for providing me with such great service, and I gave them a flyer. and told them all about the website and everything. and that if they get anymore vegans that come in or anyone that nees info on veganism and bodybuilding to hit up the website. when I went to England, I came back to find out that they had put the flyer up on their bulletinboard (as soon as you walk in). it was really neat.

AH ok thanks! Hard to find those community types out here, since most is GNC and stuff.