is being vegan expensive

CollegeB

Oh I'm sure your friends would pitch in to let you shower

If I lived up north I think I'd have to live on grains, sprouts and dried fruit with only half of my greens intake...otherwise I wouldn't pay my heating bill or stop showering

Yahr I drink soy milk regularly, have it in my protein shakes. But people often think that if you took soy milk / cow's milk out of your diet, you'd suddenly develop some kind of illness. Hahar! Fruitarians and raw foodists are the healthiest people, and they don't have soy milkz

Oh I'm sure your friends would pitch in to let you shower

If I lived up north I think I'd have to live on grains, sprouts and dried fruit with only half of my greens intake...otherwise I wouldn't pay my heating bill or stop showering

Or shove you into the nearest body of water.

People make lots of excuses... My family & I eat mostly local/Cascadian produced organic foods bought mostly from locally owned stores - all while spending far less than most Americans do for their mass produced, low quality crap bought from multin-national chains. We shop around for sales, buy from discount stores & use lots of coupons!

Sometimes it takes a little effort but we believe it is well worth it!

Produce is tough sometimes though...when I was in Maryland I could go to the closest grocer and pay a lot for organic or go way out of my way to save but then I'd wind up making up for the savings with extra gas money. Also there's the issue with national chains and where you live...where I am(you can ask daywalker) the cheapest place to get organic is Kroger(america's largest grocer) or I can go to the only natural food place and pay double or more than double and they almost never have anything on sale that isn't in a package.

We have few options in Winnipeg.

The national groceries are starting to stock more and more organic.

We also have an organic food warehouse. You really have to seek these places out.

One thing which helps is finding a farming co-op

We have a couple where you pay a certain amount for a share which entitles you to fresh veggies every 2 weeks. What you get largely is dependent upon the crops but I've never felt ripped off.

Next is Wal-Mart...I can really see them taking over the organic foods in towns that don't have big natural food stores and maybe even in towns with big natural food stores...I've already seen them with tomatoes, carrots, bagged greens, potatoes kiwi, apples, oranges...no bananas yet but its only a matter of time.

Can anyone tell me how much soy milk costs when compared to regular milk in your country? Because logically thinking it should be cheaper to produce it since soymilk doesn't require the soy to go through animals...

I buy my soy milk from a supermarket called Tesco (UK), 1lt is about 65p and I think is one of the cheapest and tastes ok. Some other are more expensive, up to £1.20.

WHat all do you need? Soybeans obviously. Sugar? Anything else?

I've seen ads for soymilk makers in VegNews and Vegetarian Times. It looks like you just put soybeans and water in (I don't know if you have to do some kind of prep on the soybeans first). Sugar isn't necessary (if you want to add sweetener, blending the 'milk' with some dates or adding agave nectar or stevia or some other sweetener, even apple juice, would be a better option.

I think you can add other things after the 'milk' is made, but from the machine, it's just soy and water.

• 11 years later...

Eating vegan food really isn't that expensive imo. It's more of the fake meats which are expensive. The other day, my sister and I were shopping at Sprouts, and she just got vegetables. I got coconut milk yogurt and fake chicken. She spent $30, I spent $50. So plant based foods themselves aren't that expensive, it is the specialty items that are. http://www.justinbillingsleyarizona.com/sprouts-farmers-market-best-grocery-store-vegans-budget/ I recommend Sprouts for any vegan on a budget.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I am vegan as well and noticed how uneasy it is to support my health. Recently, I started to take special mushrooms  VidaCap which is a quite uneasy way to support my health in winter. I am having a luck of vitamins and this way is an ideal method to maintain it quite better, to avoid different stresses and to check the ability to make it easier.