is being vegan expensive

CollegeB

I think there are a few explanations for this. One is people confusing organic with vegan. Organic food is usually more expensive. Second is people comparing a box of four frozen veggie burgers for $4-5. to their pound of cheap ground beef etc. Third is many people are just plain ignorant, and not just about veganism.

If you eat crap like most meat eaters then you can eat crap as a vegan and be even cheaper...beans and rice, and ramen(I think a few types are vegan) for example. This is the lousy crap people our age eat anyway so I just tell people I could eat this but I choose not too...and also that it really can be cheaper

Potter are you calling beans and rice crap?

I was about to say the same thing.

I normally say that if you stick with fresh whole vegetables and not buy a lot of boxed prepared food you can normally eat a lot of organic food for not that much money. I tell people that I make huge pots of soup for 4 - 6$, which I bag, freeze and eat at later dates. Apples, Bananas and other fruits are very inexpensive too, and eating lots of rolled oats instead of cold cereal can make veganism not that much at all.

It's just an excuse. Most non-vegans don't even know how much it costs to be vegan. When they try to argue with me about it, and tell ME how much MY food costs even though they don't know, then I tell them the facts about it. But they keep arguing and say stuff like 'Yeah but some soy and tofu stuff is more expensive than meat isn't it?' and I'm like 'Well yeah probably, but,' and they say 'well, I couldn't afford that'. They just want any excuse to not think about it; it doesn't matter that most vegan food is in fact the same FOOD that they eat anyway, so it is the same price (basics like fruit, vegetables, flour, pasta, rice, cereal, beans etc), or that other specifically vegan food is often cheaper or the same price as a non-vegan variety; they just want to hear that SOME of the food is more expensive, so that's what they focus on. People who smoke and say veganism is too expensive are a joke.

But really, I don't think there is a difference in price between 'veganism' and 'non-veganism'. It really just depends on what you're going to buy. I guess some people get it in their head that on a vegan diet you MUST eat XYZ, and that XYZ is expensive, but I really think they just want to think that to make veganism sound harder, and their lives more comfortable as they are. Since when are fruit and vegetables the most expensive thing in the world...

I totally agree with richard! in many cases a vegan diet is even cheaper than an omnivorous one because you don't go buy expensive fastfood or eat at restaurants which costs a lot more than preparing the food yourself.

okay, a vegan restaurant near my location would change that of course

I don't think there's a huge difference but it depends on what you're going to buy. A meat eater can buy fresh meat or fish and spend a fortune, vegan meals, mock meat for example, are never that expensive, some fry's products I buy from a local health store are never more than £3.50.

Just like eating an omnivorious diet can be expensive (do you choose basic foods or go for gourmet? ) veganism can be cheap or pricey. Basic beans and grains and veggies can be cheap (especially if you buy the beans and grains in bulk from a coop), while gourmet vegan foods, or prepared raw foods can be expensive.

But looking at things in the long term, the health benefits you gain from not eating animals products, and eating more phytonutrients, offsets the cost you might otherwise have to pay down the line for medical care for heart disease, diabetes or some forms of cancer (not to mention that you'll feel much better down the line without having to deal with those health concerns).

Soy milk here is 4 times more expensive than regular milk. Tofu is 2 times more expensive than cheese. But, happy days for me, just recently a factory making soy bean curds and other weird things usually made from milk was opened in Estonia, and these things cost almost the same as the milk-based ones (just a bit more expensive), which ultimately made me go vegan from lacto-vegetarian.

But I agree with the previous speakers that it is mostly just an excuse.

My friend thinks that it's more expensive because i chose to buy all organic foods. I tell him that if everyone bought organic, it wouldn't be expensive and it would help our planet immensely. He couldn't argue with that except he said that's not how it is now. So i told him to change something.

If i convert him over i'll crapp my pants. He's an ex Skinhead who ran with the Fierce City Crew in chicago.

Hey he is an ex-skinhead so he's already made some life changes. Stay positive with him Andrew

I mean Skinhead like a pro-union skinhead, not a Nazi. There's a difference. Skinheads beat up nazis. Granted, violence is violence. He figured that one out. He's still an ass sometimes but that's the punk scene rhetoric. The sad thing is he knows why he does stupid things and prides himself in them.

It's gonna be tough but i'll do it.

Can anyone tell me how much soy milk costs when compared to regular milk in your country? Because logically thinking it should be cheaper to produce it since soymilk doesn't require the soy to go through animals...

About double here for soymilk, but the price of organic cow milk and soymilk are bout equal. Almost all soymilk here is organic.

The main reason for the price difference here is that the U.S. government heavily subsidizes the dairy industry. If not for the subsidies, cow milk would cost 3-5 times what soymiilk costs.

If you look at normal milk the gap can be big,but if you look at the little containers such as Nestles Quick (Sp) and Hershey's milk those are like a dollar something each and they are only around 12 ounces. So those add up to being more than the flavored soymilks.

I think people who think veganism is too expensive are the ones who want to eat basicly same way but vegan. Vegan burgers, vegan hot dogs, vegan chicken, vegan milk, vegan meat balls, etc. If they eat those items, it is much pricier than the omni diet they are eating.

If I lived up north I think I'd have to live on grains, sprouts and dried fruit with only half of my greens intake...otherwise I wouldn't pay my heating bill or stop showering