is being vegan expensive

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

lelle
Elephant

#16 Postby lelle » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:50 pm

about three times as much compared to normal milk I think :?:

michaelhobson
Elephant

#17 Postby michaelhobson » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:56 pm

kuramus wrote:Can anyone tell me how much soy milk costs when compared to regular milk in your country? Because logically thinking it should be cheaper to produce it since soymilk doesn't require the soy to go through animals...

About double here for soymilk, but the price of organic cow milk and soymilk are bout equal. Almost all soymilk here is organic.

The main reason for the price difference here is that the U.S. government heavily subsidizes the dairy industry. If not for the subsidies, cow milk would cost 3-5 times what soymiilk costs.

lelle
Elephant

#18 Postby lelle » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:02 pm

michaelhobson wrote:
The main reason for the price difference here is that the U.S. government heavily subsidizes the dairy industry. If not for the subsidies, cow milk would cost 3-5 times what soymiilk costs.

same here :evil:

Rawj
Rabbit

#19 Postby Rawj » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:12 pm

If you look at normal milk the gap can be big,but if you look at the little containers such as Nestles Quick (Sp) and Hershey's milk those are like a dollar something each and they are only around 12 ounces. So those add up to being more than the flavored soymilks.

SeaSiren
Elephant

#20 Postby SeaSiren » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:40 pm

I think people who think veganism is too expensive are the ones who want to eat basicly same way but vegan. Vegan burgers, vegan hot dogs, vegan chicken, vegan milk, vegan meat balls, etc. If they eat those items, it is much pricier than the omni diet they are eating.

offense74
Elephant

#21 Postby offense74 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:02 am

Since (healthy) vegans live longer we will probably spend more money during our lifetime. On the other hand if global warming really kicks in (should be any day now) the shipping costs for my pineapple will dramatically go down since I can grow them on my balcony.
The surest road to happiness is low expectations.

veganpotter

#22 Postby veganpotter » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Tell them a vegan diet is cheaper than a omnivorous diet and chemo

JW
Elephant

#23 Postby JW » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:57 pm

I find that winter is pretty expensive for produce, as everything we get is imported.
It is definitely worth the extra $$ though!!!!
What's the difference between boogers and broccoli ?
-Kids don't eat broccoli.

veganpotter

#24 Postby veganpotter » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:13 pm

If I lived up north I think I'd have to live on grains, sprouts and dried fruit with only half of my greens intake...otherwise I wouldn't pay my heating bill or stop showering

Richard
Site Admin

#25 Postby Richard » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Neither milk nor soymilk are necessary in a diet anyway. Cow's milk, as far as I know, does more harm than good. Soy milk is handy to fit into a 'traditional' diet, or whatever you want to call it. But really, you don't need it.

pelicanAndrew
Elephant

#26 Postby pelicanAndrew » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:33 pm

Soy milk is good if you're cooking something and substituting it in for milk. I also like it on cereal. Every once and awhile i'll chug a carton of chocolate soy/almond milk. 8)

Definitely not necessary.

JW
Elephant

#27 Postby JW » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:37 pm

Oh I'm sure your friends would pitch in to let you shower :wink:

veganpotter wrote:If I lived up north I think I'd have to live on grains, sprouts and dried fruit with only half of my greens intake...otherwise I wouldn't pay my heating bill or stop showering
What's the difference between boogers and broccoli ?
-Kids don't eat broccoli.

Richard
Site Admin

#28 Postby Richard » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm

Yahr I drink soy milk regularly, have it in my protein shakes. But people often think that if you took soy milk / cow's milk out of your diet, you'd suddenly develop some kind of illness. Hahar! Fruitarians and raw foodists are the healthiest people, and they don't have soy milkz

veganpotter

#29 Postby veganpotter » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:46 pm

Maybe I wouldn't need to shower...I don't think I'd ever sweat north of the border

SeaSiren
Elephant

#30 Postby SeaSiren » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:13 pm

JW wrote:Oh I'm sure your friends would pitch in to let you shower :wink:

veganpotter wrote:If I lived up north I think I'd have to live on grains, sprouts and dried fruit with only half of my greens intake...otherwise I wouldn't pay my heating bill or stop showering

Or shove you into the nearest body of water. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”