Out-of-work bum

Richard

Hello, you may remember me from such threads as 'Please welcome me because I am awesome' and also 'How am I meant ot get rid of spots?'. Anyway, that is of little relevence to this post.

At the moment I am unemployed. I had a job a while ago working in an office. It sucked a bit so I quit after a couple of months. My friends have jobs and it destroys them. They don't have time to do what they want to do, they are out of energy and unhappy. I don't value money very highly, and don't have a very expensive way of life. But I find most jobs to be pointless it's quite depressing. I would like to move out of my parents' house and get a flat or something, but this would mean getting a job.

Living with my parents is okay, it's not a nightmare, but I am sure most people here will appreciate that even in a perfect home, you eventually want to move out and have 'independence' etc. But then I think, getting a job sucks badly. I would like to do something worthwhile like work in an animal shelter, or at a hospital etc. But I am not qualified to do it, and I am already in big debt from university due to the loan I had to take out for it. If I can't do something worthwhile with my time, I'd like to either do something I enjoy, or something relaxing. But those things don't seem to be around :/

What I really don't want to happen is getting into a 'career' which turns me into a depressed robot who moans about their life all the time, and never gets anywhere, and has no energy for the hobbies they used to have before they sold out.

Does anyone know where I'm coming from?

Hello, you may remember me from such threads as 'Please welcome me because I am awesome' and also 'How am I meant ot get rid of spots?'. Anyway, that is of little relevence to this post.

I love your humor!

But on topic.

I totally completely absolutely know what you mean! It's hard to find a job if you have ideals and principles! Now that I've studied medicine i know that i don't want to work as a doctor Not under the conditions, and not in our system.

As you, i'm looking for a job that makes sense, brings money, is fun and challenges me - a job, that i LIKE to do! Something that i gladly put my energy into and still be able to make a living on it...

I know i have many qualities, but who is gonna pay for that???

*sigh*

Maybe i should marry a grotesquely rich woman

Yep. A village near Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.

As you, i'm looking for a job that makes sense, brings money, is fun and challenges me - a job, that i LIKE to do! Something that i gladly put my energy into and still be able to make a living on it...

I know i have many qualities, but who is gonna pay for that???

*sigh*

Yeah I'd like any single one of those things. If I worked at an animal shelter, a lot of the time it wouldn't be enjoyable, but I would be motivated because I would feel it was worthwhile, even if I was just shovelling animal poo all day, it would be a pretty boring job, but is helpful. Likewise if a job was interesting to me, it would motivate me, even if ultimately the job wasn't productive or helpful to anyone, at least it wouldn't depress me.

I have vague hopes of doing music or doing comedy. But both of those things are really hard to get into and you have to be lucky I think in order to be successful, even if you're really good.

Maybe i should marry a grotesque and rich woman

Yep. A village near Great Yarmouth' date=' Norfolk, England. [/quote']

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhaaa I get it!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, very much so. Horribly so.

You said you wouldn't mind working in a hospital. At least in the US you can get a 2 year degree nursing degree and make good money. Be able to find work pretty much anywhere. I think it must be more or less the same in the UK.

I wish someone had given me such advice 9 years ago. Anyway my sister is a nurse and only works Saturday and Sunday and makes very good money for where she lives. I told my brother-in-law to do what I suggested above and now he's just 20 years old and already has a good job while I've .... ah why bother bitching and moaning.

I thought your ninja movie was great! Any chance of working with film?

Me and my friends are planning on making more 'movies'. That clip was just a small taste of what we do, we make like 30min episodes of crap, like sketches / jackass stuff. I would LOVE to do it as a career.

Thanks for your advice Jay. I think in this country there is a lot of training involved to get into anything to do with medicine. Also, while I said I would like to do it, I don't really know much about it! But from a moral point of view, it would be a great direction to go in. I have also considered social work, psychology / counselling etc. I dunno if I am even suited for those things, but yea, I mean something that helps other people is good.

I have also considered social work, psychology / counselling etc. I dunno if I am even suited for those things,

I can tell you, by the way you've listened to my "story", you'd be great at the above....I can also tell you, however, that there is a lot of "bull" and "politics" in social work/counseling that it's more crap than it's worth...

I know a few people who have studied film here in NYC and Los Angeles - I'm not sure what they are doing in the field now...are you looking to stay in the UK?

I, personally, think you should stay in a creative arena...you're really quite good!

I have also considered social work, psychology / counselling etc. I dunno if I am even suited for those things,

I can tell you, by the way you've listened to my "story", you'd be great at the above....I can also tell you, however, that there is a lot of "bull" and "politics" in social work/counseling that it's more crap than it's worth...

I know a few people who have studied film here in NYC and Los Angeles - I'm not sure what they are doing in the field now...are you looking to stay in the UK?

I, personally, think you should stay in a creative arena...you're really quite good!

Thanks I do want to stay in the UK. I dislike travelling, I don't even want to move out of the county that I am in. I am almost certain that I don't want to leave the country at any point. Yea, social work and counselling are also very stressful jobs too, emotionally tough

Could you get a job working in like a vegetarian restaurant or store to make cash at least you'd get to meet like minded people. And you could persue your art career. Maybe sell some sketches on the net? OR could you do sketches like at a mall or something?

curious how old you are?

I am 23 years old. I've been doing illustrations here and there, people visiting my website and having me do pictures for magazines and books etc. It's not steady income at this stage. Yea I think about doing a part-time job like you said.

Mikey, a vegan commune is awesome, I will look into it

well i hate working too. any kind of work really - i havent found anything that i would actually like to do full time. i wouldnt mind working 2-3days, but that wont happen.

speaking of vegan communes, my friend brian and (and our respective lasses) are pretty set on setting up a vegan commune just outside edinburgh in 2-3years time. everyone will have separate houses, but there will be communal cars, gym, and other stuff too. hopefully we can get 50odd acres of land for about £30k or less, so the startup cost should be low. we are looking for 5-7couples/individuals innitially. the plan is to work in edinburgh, but because of the very low living costs, 2-3days a week should be plenty.

jonathan

What I really don't want to happen is getting into a 'career' which turns me into a depressed robot who moans about their life all the time, and never gets anywhere, and has no energy for the hobbies they used to have before they sold out.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I left behind a career as a "professional geek" (networks, system administration, tech support) a few years ago, mostly for those reasons. I loved my job, but the hours and the stress took up entirely too much of my life.

Now I'm a massage therapist, which is possibly the most stress-free job in the history of the universe. I'm self-employed, so I don't work long hours unless I choose to. At the end of the day, I feel like I've accomplished something positive, and I still have time and energy for the rest of my life.

There are plenty of jobs out there that don't fit that stifling "career" mold - just keep your ears and eyes open and you'll find it.