Nutrition and Television Marketing

godesslissa

I don't usually have time to watch too much TV, but tonight while cooking dinner I turned it on to drown out the sounds of maniacle 9 year olds playing in my sons room.~ Anyway I overheard part of a commercial that mentioned something to the effect of, "...provides complete nutrition for them too." Wondering what they could be referring to, I wandered into the living room to see that the commercial on was for dog food... I have nothing against feeding my pets nutritious food, but the commercial made me realize how many commercials I have seen over the years for food products geared toward adults (and especially kids) and they seldom, if ever, seem to tout many/any nutritional benifits- yet the commercials for pet foods seem to try to make a point of letting their audience know that if they value their pets health they'll invest in brand ____. Food commercials for crappy stuff (like poptarts and candy/chips/soda and all that kind of stuff) seem to give the viewer the impression that their product tastes great, and is great for when you're on the go... (etc)

So as humans- we value the health of our pets over our kids and ourselves? Damn. How long will we stay at the top of the food chain with that mentality

Maybe it's just my imagination though- has anyone else noticed this?

True- I guess I'm thinking of it from a "mom" perspective. (If you don't have kids yet when you do you'll realize that your perspective on nearly everything in life changes to a "parental perspective".) Kids and pets definatley are very dependant on adults/caregivers for most of their necessities. I think it's definately a priority for me to value my son and all of my animals and make sure they get the best nutrition I can give them. (I have one pug dog named Buddha, a ferret named Minky Boodle, three cats (Satan, Bootsie, Blackie) and a hamster that belongs to my son)