cycling

V VII Hero

I am back to cycling about 20 miles a day (total) to and from town (the gym, grocery stores, etc.). It isnt easy because I live in the pocono mountains. so many hills to go up, and no bicycle lanes or sidewalks.

but I feel so much better than I am not wasting gasoline and polluting the environment. I am gonna get around on foot and cycle as much as possible. and when I move to the city I will use public transportation for really long distances.

In the Netherlands everybody has a bicycle, and it is frequently used for grocerys and stuff like that. I also cycle about 20 miles a day, except in the Netherlands there aro no mountains:)

And using public transportation is a logical choice for me, since I have a students pass, which makes it free(except in weekends).

Also the price of gasoline is much higher in the Netherlands than in the USA. In the Netherlands it costs 8 euro(which is more than 8 dollar) for a gallon, and in the USA 2 dollar(or so I have heard).

And it also helps the environment, so keep up the cycling!

wow gasoline is expensive!

yeh where i live public transportation is bad, but in the city its much better.

yesterday i was out of breath and very hungry, and I happed to find a nectarine tree that was hidden on the side of the road, so I took a fruit and ate it for extra energy. it was sooo cool!

Gas is pretty close to $3 here right now. Im dragging out my pink huffy that i got when i turned ten and im gonna start riding it where i can. ( its got little sparkly things on the wheels still haha) Mainly school and the grocery store, and maybe to taekwondo if i end up going back any time soon. Work is too far and I work till too late at night. We don't have any bike lanes or anything here either, and some roads are pretty dangerous to bike on because theyre narrow and on the side are 6 foot irrigation ditches. And public transportation is crappy too.

I have never lived in a place with good public transportation. When I lived in Denver, I needed to leave the house at 4:15 AM to get to work by 7:00 AM (25 miles on 3 different buses). If I rode my bike instead, I could leave at 5:00AM .

Here in Ventura, we have a shitty busline with crappy service. The company is called South Coast Area Transit and its initials are printed on every bus... SCAT. Does that strike anyone else as funny?

• 2 weeks later...

I think Corvallis has public transportation, but I'm not really sure....I don't really know very much about this city at all! But my hometown is Portland (or at least a very close suburb, I spend plenty of time in the city) and I feel very fortunate to live somewhere that really supports and encourages biking/busses, etc. Our max system is great, and there is even free fare when you're downtown. Everywhere has bike lanes! Most employers also give incentives not to drive or to carpool, such as cash bonuses or gift certificates.

I just got a bike now that I live further from campus ( I used to walk) and I'm really excited! The last time I did any bike riding was when I was in Mexico 4 years ago..used to go out everyday and cover 30 miles or more in the countryside, it was amazing! Now I am just happy that I don't have a reason to drive anywhere in city limits anymore, it's such a small town I can do anything on foot or bike! Good for the environment and good for my budget! Hooray!

I'm coming to visit Portland again (rob, you and others) as soon as I graduate PT school in April. and then I am working half a year in Hoboken, and then permanently relocating to Portland.

I wont have it any other way. my bday is novemeber 9th, and in 2006 I will be 23. I told myself at age 16 I want to move out west by the age of 23 and be a pro in something, and ride huge snowboard mountains. so expect an extra cyclist to come your way.

Yay! Portland is such a beautiful city, and probably one of the friendliest in the country to veganism, etc. Lots of environmental activists around here and such too. And you can do anything - mountains, beach, desert, lakes, we have it all. Except pro-baseball I do love baseball! Though we have the Portland Beavers and that's much cheaper than MLB....course you probably don't care about that, cuz practically no one is as nutty for baseball as me!

ANYWAY, though I don't have enouch experience to be qualified to say this, I think Portland is the best city in the country!

Can't wait to see you out here!