Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sin City
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:45 pm 
Manatee

God in heaven :shock: WHAT A MOVIE!

Has anybody seen it too?! I would love to read and/or discuss about this movie.
It is one of the most brutal ones (if not the most brutal one) I have ever seen! But it is so good!

I haven't read much about it before I saw it and that was good so. It was so so full of eeehhhm tension? Oh my english. Well, very very... interesting. More than intersting... you know what I mean :oops:

I was thrilled! Some awesome lines and over all a very different and exciting movie! The characteres are pretty deap and unique, you know what they are thinking and that makes it even more interesting. Allthough at the beginning I wasn't so convinced about the idea of the director, but it turned out great!

I was with the characters all the time and eager to know what would happen next...

WHAT A MOVIE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:39 pm 
Elephant

I saw it, pretty much right away. I'm not a huge fan of graphic violence BUT, this movie was soo stylistic and true to it's original medium that I was pretty breathless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:28 pm 
Elephant

Word!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:22 am 
Manatee

"Worth dying for. Worth killing for. Worth going to hell for."

I love Marv. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:40 am 
Manatee

I don't know the comic, I just heard, that it is supposed to be no more or less than the comic, that they did a pretty good job on making it as close to the comic as possible!

Sknydpr wrote:
I love Marv.

I think everybody sympathized with Marv! The desire for revenge within ourselfs just loves him and we are glad that he doesn't just let the BAD guys run off or kill them quick. That's the impression I have.

I did like all of the movie.
But I still have one question: who is the guy in the very first scene and the very last. Is he a professional killer? He can be bougth from whoever likes to have somebody killed. And does not belong to any side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:56 am 
Site Admin

I went to see it at the movies but had to leave because it was making me physically ill due to the violence and horror

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:29 am 
Manatee

It is like the Pulp Fiction of the 21th century.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:36 am 
Manatee

K-oz wrote:
But I still have one question: who is the guy in the very first scene and the very last. Is he a professional killer? He can be bougth from whoever likes to have somebody killed. And does not belong to any side?

Yeah, he's a hitman. From his last comment in the opening sequence, I believe the girl hired him herself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:21 am 
Elephant

:shock:

I'm divided about this movie, really.

On the one hand, i have to agree with all of you here (except Richard), that it's a great movie. It IS great, technically perfect, cool soundtrack, cool characters, everything so dead cool. It's very entertaining and gripping.

But on the other hand, it's also very violent. I think a good movie needs no violence, even when it's about violence. Sin City is not only violent in it's pictures, but also in the attitude delivered. The "good" guys like Marv, Dwight and Hartigan run around killing people as if it was the most normal thing. Marv even tortures his victims. I didn't like that part one bit. To me, it would have been enough if he just killed them :(

Overall i'd say it's well worth seeing, but you shouldn't leave your critical faculties at home, as you can easily be blinded by the flashing appearance of the movie.

There are some really cool lines in it, though 8)

"Here's a trace!" :D

The best part was the speech of the senator in front of Hartigans bed. The part about power and lies.
"If you can convince the people that their own feelings are wrong, the word will be your oyster!" (i translated what i remembered of the German translation, so probably it's very far from the original.... :oops: )

Hartigans heroic efforts to save the girl are also very cool, and inspiring :)

Okay, just my thoughts :)

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:11 am 
Site Admin

I thought the film was incredibly well done stylistically, and had some really good effects, and I hear that it was very faithful to the comics, which is something that I really respect. Also the acting seemed very fitting and not a joke like in X-men. Plus lots of risks were taken in how the film was organized, I guess that stemmed from sticking to the comic, but it was very bold.

I didn't dislike the movie, I just got scared and had to leave. There are lots of movies that I am sure are great but I never go to see them, because I know I'll get scared. I didn't realise Sin City would be that scary / violent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:55 am 
Manatee

Richard wrote:
There are lots of movies that I am sure are great but I never go to see them, because I know I'll get scared. I didn't realise Sin City would be that scary / violent.

I know what you mean, I couldn't watch the movie about this soldier James Ryan with Tom Hanks. Everybody told me it is a good movie, but I couldn't bare the war scenes and what we in fact really do to each other day by day. I tried two times... I didn't make it.

I was shocked too, that Sin City is so violent, I had to close my eyes every once in a while, but I didn't want to leave the movie. Allthough it was so violent I still found it interesting... weird, eh?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

I am interested in violence and in dark themes in movies. But I am also afraid, and there's just some stuff I physically can't watch without passing out / becoming ill. It's like eating hot or cold food. You want something hot, but you don't want it to burn your mouth off, even if you like the flavour, it can be too much.