Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:39 am 
Manatee

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/k ... index.html

That is some scary, scary shit. I can't tell you how glad I am that I no longer live in NO, or how much, right this moment, I wish my ex-wife didn't still live nearby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:55 am 
Elephant

My mom told me about the animals all on the roof and stuff and the reporters told the people not to go there because the animals know where to go. Heck, like Id listen to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:08 pm 
Stegosaurus

The loss of both human AND animal life in the face of natural disasters is tragic. Too bad the only one people seem to deem important is the former only.

I can just imagine how many thousands of animals drown to death as a result of them, and how many animals end up orphaned (if they survive that is).
Drowning must be one of the worst ways to go.

Then again, pigs and chickens frequently end up drowning in scalding hot water WHILE STILL CONSCIOUS for purposes of hide/feather removal every hour of every day.

Please go vegan if you consider yourself a kind and compassionate person. thank-you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:55 pm 
Gorilla

:(

oh man I didnt realize it was this bad. hurricanes are a main cause of my fear of water.

on a side note, I cant say "new orleans" I always end up saying "narlins"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:02 pm 
Manatee

V VII Hero wrote:
on a side note, I cant say "new orleans" I always end up saying "narlins"

That's okay, that's pretty close to how the residents say it.

It is bad, very bad. Looting is running rampant, the broken levees have yet to be repaired and the water is still rushing in, the rescue services there are having to push aside floating corpses as they attempt to get to the living still trapped. It'll be months before any semblance of normality has returned. I cannot imagine what I'd be thinking if I still lived there, I barely know what to think now.

I have found out that my ex-wife left the area and is safe. I don't have any details on whether she got all eight cats and two dogs out with her, or whether she still has a house to return to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 pm 
Elephant

I don't give a damn about the people there. Know why? Did you see those dumb arses looting stores there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:18 pm 
Manatee

kollision wrote:
I don't give a damn about the people there. Know why? Did you see those dumb arses looting stores there?

Jesus, I thought I was a misanthrope.

Not everyone who stayed behind is looting, Koll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:24 pm 
Elephant

Sknydpr wrote:
kollision wrote:

Jesus, I thought I was a misanthrope.

Not everyone who stayed behind is looting, Koll.

Ya...but its freakin ridiculous that during a "tragedy" that they still do this kind of stuff. Pisses me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:14 am 
Manatee

kollision wrote:
Ya...but its freakin ridiculous that during a "tragedy" that they still do this kind of stuff. Pisses me off.

The looters are greedy assholes, to be certain. I will repeat that they are in the minority there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 am 
Elephant

Sknydpr wrote:
kollision wrote:

The looters are greedy assholes, to be certain. I will repeat that they are in the minority there.

Lets just hope that. I remember in the LA Riots, they sure werent the minority...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:54 am 
Stegosaurus

The looters DEFINIETELY suck.

But my heart is breaking for any innocents, including children and helpless elderly people. For example, one diabetic man with a heart condition is stranded on a roof top - he will die unless he is rescued soon.

That could have easily been my own dad. He certainly is somebody's loved one. :cry:

Skinny, I am glad that your ex is okay. :D But I am saddened to hear that she has possibly left her animal friends behind. Cats can swim, as you know. They would simply drown. :cry:

I dont think , to be honest, I could leave my animals behind to die, any more than I could leave my children. Although maybe that is easy for me to say.

any way you look at it, it is tragic, plain and simple. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:25 am 
Elephant

if someone does not have the means to leave the city during the hurricane, then looting is not always wrong. i personally see nothing wrong with looting from say walmart.
agreed, they could be doing something more constructive, but dont automatically condemn all looters. in a society where you have to pay for absolutely everything (the thought that if i got hit by a car one day, and was without health insurance and lived, that i could be bankrupted for life makes me shudder) you cannot blame those with the least for making the best of the bad situation. they certainly didnt stay behind with the mentality "ooh - lets ride out the biggest storm in american history so we can get some free beer".
even if they are looting private property, insurance will pay for it so there really is little to be lost, unless you are sympathetic to insurance companies (i personally wouldnt piss on an insurance exec if he/she was on fire!).

people generally only steal from others if they are aggreved (bar a tiny proportion of career criminals). rather than blaming the individual, you have to address the cause - why is that these people are so quick to loot? probably because they are on minimum wage ($5.15/hr? jesus - its low here at $9/hr and its going up to $9.80 next month) whilst the people they work for give them no benefits, no vacation, no health plan and are millionaires themselves.
pointing the finger at the looters lets the real criminals off the hook.

my sympathy goes out to anyone suffering in the hurricane.

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:59 am 
Manatee

compassionategirl wrote:
Skinny, I am glad that your ex is okay. :D But I am saddened to hear that she has possibly left her animal friends behind. Cats can swim, as you know. They would simply drown. :cry:

Nat, I'm sorry, that's just silly. Cats certainly can swim.

It's a moot point though. While I have no reason to think that she didn't take them, other than the idea of travelling with eight cats and finding lodging that will accept them, the area that she lives in could not have gotten more than a couple of feet of water in the houses (and probably no more than a few inches). It would be financially devastating, but the water would not have gotten anywhere near the ceilings.

I'm more concerned that the windows may have gotten blown out, and the cats would be able to escape in her absence.

Last edited by Sknydpr on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:11 am 
Elephant

jonathan wrote:
if someone does not have the means to leave the city during the hurricane, then looting is not always wrong. i personally see nothing wrong with looting from say walmart.
agreed, they could be doing something more constructive, but dont automatically condemn all looters. in a society where you have to pay for absolutely everything (the thought that if i got hit by a car one day, and was without health insurance and lived, that i could be bankrupted for life makes me shudder) you cannot blame those with the least for making the best of the bad situation. they certainly didnt stay behind with the mentality "ooh - lets ride out the biggest storm in american history so we can get some free beer".
even if they are looting private property, insurance will pay for it so there really is little to be lost, unless you are sympathetic to insurance companies (i personally wouldnt piss on an insurance exec if he/she was on fire!).

people generally only steal from others if they are aggreved (bar a tiny proportion of career criminals). rather than blaming the individual, you have to address the cause - why is that these people are so quick to loot? probably because they are on minimum wage ($5.15/hr? jesus - its low here at $9/hr and its going up to $9.80 next month) whilst the people they work for give them no benefits, no vacation, no health plan and are millionaires themselves.
pointing the finger at the looters lets the real criminals off the hook.

my sympathy goes out to anyone suffering in the hurricane.

jonathan

In other words, use the cause as a scape goat? Ok I understand (althought i still believe it is wrong, but I just understand) if you loot in the means of survival, but this? BEER?! ELECTRONICS?! Now that is unacceptable.

And the insurance will pay for it?

Looting is looting and it is a crime. If I had a store there and someone broke in and took all my stuff, I wouldnt just dismiss and say "Eh, they are in a storm, so I dont care if they steal my stuff".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:22 am 
Manatee

Yes, there is a clear distinction between those looting for food and water, since that's really the only way to get it right now, and those stealing jewelry, TVs, expensive tennis shoes, etc.