The Ultimate Fighter

veganmadre

i watch it! i saw all of season 1 and season 2 just started. it's great, especially if you are into MMA. i couldn't believe in the first 3 days 2 people quit and 1 was injured to the point where he could not continue. the training must be so tough.

i don't know if you have seen this, but stephan bonnar and forrest griffin (last years winners) have a column where they critique each episode. it's pretty funny, you should check it out.

if anyone doesn't know what the hell we are talking about, click here for some info.

i watch it! i saw all of season 1 and season 2 just started. it's great, especially if you are into MMA. i couldn't believe in the first 3 days 2 people quit and 1 was injured to the point where he could not continue. the training must be so tough.

i don't know if you have seen this, but stephan bonnar and forrest griffin (last years winners) have a column where they critique each episode. it's pretty funny, you should check it out.

if anyone doesn't know what the hell we are talking about, click here for some info.

I didnt watch last season but I caught this one after I was watching WWE RAW and I got hooked! I was cheering for that black guy to lose because all he did was talk talk talk! He did however have more energy than the white guy but the white guy was pretty smart. I thought he was going to lose because I could see that he was tired, but he got it good.

I had no idea about this! Thanks! I watched the entire first season. The Bonnar/Griffin fight was amazing and of course I loved Diego. I also recently saw some televised fights with others from the first season.

I, too, was shocked that people quit! That's unbelievable...Have to admit that I'm a pretty bit Luke fan at this point - did you see how long he did a wall sit?? Jesus! We'll see what happens with Josh...broken hand...

Glad to see others as enthusiastic as I am....

yeah that wall sit was the sickest! everyone else giving in by the 2 minute marker, and luke not even breaking a sweat at 5 minutes. and did you see him on that challenge in the second episode, luke held on to two opponents at the same time so one of his teammates would be free to win the challenge. i likr that guy too.

no it's not streetfighting. it's started as a competition within self defense disciplines. a judo expert would take on a kickboxer, a boxer would go up against a greco roman wrestler, etc. but then the Gracies came along and were defeating people that outweighed them by 50 lbs. and taller by a foot. Royce Gracie in particular. i've seen this guy (who is 5'11" and 170lbs.) take down sumo wrestlers. the gracies studied brazilian jui jitsu, which was a mix of submission wrestling and judo. so these days, most fighters study several disciplines (mostly kickboxing, grappling/jui jitsu, and boxing) to have a well rounded knowledge and an edge in the fight. that's where the term Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) comes from.

interesting side note from Rorion Gracie:

"I personally don't eat meat. But meat is okay in the diet. Royce eats a little meat, but mostly he eats fish and chicken. I personally am mostly vegetarian/frugatorian. I eat fish once in a great while. When I go to a restaurant, I might order rice with fish and vegetables, for example"

from this article.

yeah he faces his bed so he can sleep with his head facing north. something about the earth's chi.

luke eats organic, but he does eat meat. i read a little interview with him where he talked about his diet.

it's funny that everyone thinks he's dangerous. because he does yoga, eats organic, and meditates, the other guys keep making jokes about he is a serial killer. how do they associate yoga and organic diets with violence, i don't know. some people just are scared of things they know nothing about.

• 1 month later...

hey veganmadre, just wondering if you caught the last episode. luke finally got a chance to fight. he stepped in and did not disappoint. that was a damn good exhibition of endurance and skill. luke won a decisive victory over anthony torres. luke cut him up pretty bad. right next to his eye. i'm looking forward to his next fight.

wish he was vegan. since he eats organic, he is halfway there already. if you missed it you can see some video clips by clicking here.

AAAAAAH. I didn't catch it! I've been off for a few weeks because of a television hog in my house. I love animals. This hog is a human. I don't think I have to love humans. Anyway. I'm sure I'll catch it again. I may still be able to tivo this weeks show - but then i won't be up to speed on the "House drama" and other semi-important happenings...wanna catch me up to speed or should i wait until they do another UF marathon on Spike right before the televised Fight Night?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. wow. luke actually surpassed my expectations yesterday. it was an amazing fight. i didn't sit down for more than 3 minutes of the whole 15. i knew he didn't TAKE the fight but wow, i love him. he gave joe a major battle!

nerd domination! fuck! i wanted him to win!

rashad's fight was crazy impressive,too. as was diego's. and the kenny florian's, too. shit. not too much blood, which is a good thing, in my opinion. very good UFC event!!

other opinions?

oh, and again, for the record, I love luke cummo.

When he pigged out on junkfood after beating Anthony and mentioned that he needed laid - I felt compelled to want to help.

that was hilarious. then he looks around and ask "alright... who's gonna take one for the team?"

if UFC has any sense they will have luke back as a regular the way you still see stephan bonnar and kenny florian from season one. i was so impressed with luke. he handled himself well on the ground and stayed out of the submission. standing up he was dominating, which is why joe wanted to take it straight to the ground. joe went on record in the last episode stating "i want no part of luke's stand up game. i will not stand with him for one minute." but even on the ground joe couldn't submit luke. by the second round joe was to tired to try to even apply some goood submisions holds. he just basically was just trying to keep luke from standing up. to joe's credit, he did give luke a lot of respect in the post fight interview. it's was a hell of a good fight. the best thing is that luke and joe were and still are friends. luke is my favorite fighter as well.

the whole night was full of surprises and good fights. the rashad vs. brad fight really surprised me. i was not expecting such a war. even though brad was knocked down twice, he was not knocked out, and managed to stand up again even with rashad trying to finish him off. and rashad was great. being able to knock a guy a foot taller than you is no easy task, and he managed to knock him down twice. and when i saw kenny "the lethal elbow" florian opponent and heard his record (four time muay thaiy kick boxing champion, 29 wins 1 loss) i expected him to run over kenny. but kenny surprised and got an armbar submission followed by a rear naked choke. i think he nearly broke that guys arm.

i'm looking to seeing more of all these fighters, especially luke.

Actually, according to Matt Serra's (Luke's trainer) website, Luke was indeed offered a contract as well.

http://www.serrajitsu.com

GO LUKE! i am so glad they did that. i guess they knew how many fans luke has and how many people would tune in to see him fight. hopefully we will see him again soon in a ppv or another ultimate fight night on spike tv.

So it appears that Carlos Newton and Pat Miletich have been selected to be the coaches for season 3.

Newton:

http://img1.sports.krs.yahoo.com/fighter/person/big/personImage_00000831.jpg

Miletich:

http://user7081.websitewizard.com/images/PatMiletich.jpg

Miletich hasn't fought since 2002, but he's supposedly one hell of a coach, and a lot of the top guys (including Tim Sylvia and Matt Hughes) have been trained by him. (Next event, count how many times the announcers say 'Miletich camp' ).

I don't know much about Newton other than he beat Miletich in 2001, and Renzo Gracie in 2003 but has lost to Sakuraba once, and Matt Hughes twice in a row

edit: ok, this isn't official. There's also some pretty strong rumors floating around that it may be Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock as the coaches, which would make for a much more interesting season.

• 3 weeks later...

wow! ortiz is back?! last time i saw him was on that TNA wrestling show. they are finally gonna have that rematch huh. i can't imagine the buildup and hype that is gonna have. it will probably match liddel vs. coutre part 3. this is going to be huge!

militech would have been an great coach. so many fighters he has mentored have gone on to great things. and you are right, miltech is known for fighting. if you hear an announcer say about a fighter "he is trained in the militech fighting system" that alone says you are a terror on the ring. but i guess the hype of a rematch between shamrock and ortiz is just too great. i can hardly wait for next season.