Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:37 am 
Elephant

Quote:
No I could not, nor would I leave him any more than I would leave my nephew or mother or father. Max and I would swim out together (and be decontaminated together Confused )

I feel the same way, even for an animal I do not know. Humans on the other hand, different cake for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:52 pm 
Stegosaurus

I stand corrected about the money donations. Here is the latest from peta

On August 29, Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast. In addition to the human misery that the storm left in its wake, Katrina left many thousands of animals dead and dying. But the greater problem has turned out to be state and federal governments adding to this toll—and causing the slow and agonizing deaths of thousands more much-loved dogs, cats, and other animals—through their failure to allow animal protection agents to rescue animals.

Worse, although the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) guidelines on animal handling in a disaster were carefully crafted years ago in cooperation with PETA and other animal organizations, our government has evidently thrown them out the window, even going so far as to order citizens to abandon their animals under threat of arrest—animals who in many cases were considered members of the family and were all that these people had left.

Volunteer Steve Miller told The Advocate in Baton Rouge that “FEMA has told us we cannot take the pets” along with the distraught human victims that they are evacuating. “They told [us] that we could not take one cat or dog in our boats,” Miller said. “It’s a stupid rule. More people are going to die because of that.”

Telling these exasperated citizens of our country to abandon the animals they care for so deeply is, in fact, illegal. Chapter 14, Section 102.1(A)(1)(d) of Louisiana’s Revised Statutes, for example, states that anyone who abandons an animal is guilty of the crime of cruelty to animals.

Please politely call on Michael Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response and head of FEMA, to immediately order his subordinates and their brave volunteers to evacuate animals with their human families, effective today, from areas affected by Katrina. Tell Mr. Brown that in these United States, we can and must do better for our citizens and their animals:

The Honorable Michael Brown
Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response
500 C St. S.W.
Washington, DC 20472
202-646-3900
202-646-3930 (fax)
FEMAOPA@dhs.gov

On Tuesday, September 6, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin reportedly issued a mandatory evacuation order and authorized police to remove people from their homes regardless of the residents’ wishes, according to CNN. Although Lt. Gen. Russel Honore—Commander of the First U.S. Army and the man in charge in New Orleans—apparently stated that his military units will not carry out such evacuations, New Orleans police officers and other law enforcement agents may force city residents to abandon their animals when evacuating. Please ask Mayor Nagin to ensure that his beleaguered constituents are allowed to bring their companion animals along should they be evacuated:

The Honorable Ray Nagin
Mayor of New Orleans
Send an e-mail to the Mayor’s Office here

Visit HelpingAnimals.com for further information and updates on Katrina and our response. And please send this e-mail to your friends, family, colleagues, and anyone else you can think of who might lend their voice and support to these vital efforts!

Help Support This Critical Work With a Special Donation Today!

We need your financial support! Please donate today to PETA’s Animal Emergency Fund with as generous a donation as you can afford. It will be put to work to fund our response to Katrina—including our own rescue efforts and the timely distribution of our disaster-preparedness public service announcements—provide financial and logistical support for individuals and local agencies at ground zero who are helping animals, and put pressure on public officials to include animals in their relief efforts so that nothing like this ever happens again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:37 am 
Elephant

kollision wrote:
I also heard of a little boy that was going into the bus with his puppy and the person that works there took the puppy away and the boy was crying. They asked the man what would happen to the puppy and he said "I don't know". What an ass, he and the rest should be stuck there instead of the people.

Some hope for a change from an article in USA Today:
Quote:
There are bright spots: U.S. Department of Agriculture veterinarian Terry Conger said Tuesday that Snowball, a small white dog taken by police Thursday from a sobbing little boy as he boarded a bus at the Superdome, has been located at the Gonzalez shelter and will be reunited with his owner.

I hope everyone has the chance for a reunion with their human and nonhuman family members. (Wishful thinking I know :( .....)

CG I called the # listed for the "Honorable" Michael Brown and was given another # to call which was apparently a response center. At this other # I was cut off the first time and the 2nd time was advised by the woman there that she was very busy and FEMA was not responsible for how the police and coast guard were acting. She said to contact the governor or police department or coast guard, but she did not have a phone # for either. So I called the # you gave again and was advised that Michael Brown is in LA. I left a message with one of representatives (not much, but I guess every voice helps. :()

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:19 am 
Elephant

OK. If you want to contact LA's governor in addition to making that phone call, click here . This takes you to the LA government website. (The New Orleans and Mayor Ray Nagin sites seem to be down right now.)

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:43 am 
Stegosaurus

Thanks Crash for the clarification!!!