Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opinions Re: Tattoos...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:11 pm 
Elephant

I'm curious what you all think...this is one area of my life where I'm oddly contradictory...I prefer to be natural..as in food, no makeup,etc....about 6 years ago I got a tattoo, and really, I love it. It's only the size of a quarter but I'd possibly like more...I dunno, I guess I feel as if it is a way for me to make statements using my body as a canvass....anyone else have a tattoo? anyone strongly against? reasoning for or against would be awesome...

Here's my tattoo - I got it for the obvious statement and then also for my statement about organ donation (yeah, second one's kinda morbid but it's still important in my opinion)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:22 pm 
Manatee

I have several tattoos, including "ahimsa" on my right forearm, a nude Statue of Liberty on my back, and a devil girl on the back of each calf.

So, I'm very much into tattoos, and body piercings, too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:38 pm 
Rabbit

I think women are quite beautiful just the way they are, and certainly don't need piercings, or makeup, or tatoos, or fancy clothes to make them attractive. If you want a tatoo, though, I think that's cool. A really big tatoo in the center of your forehead, I think, would be distracting, but smaller ones, discretely located, could be very nice. I guess it would depend on where they were located, what they were about, and how big they are. Hmmm. I guess I'm saying that I don't have strong feelings one way or another, but if I saw you on the street and you had a tatoo, it would definitely draw my attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:48 pm 
Elephant

notice how ugly white my skin is in the tattoo picture...it's totally hidden - most of the time! it's on my left shoulder...not sure about more....like making statements but just not really sure if this is how i want to go about it....i guess it's just a nagging contradiction...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:07 pm 
Rabbit

Sorry, I don't think white skin is ugly and I don't think that tatoos should always be covered (but I don't like it when they are partially covered).

Why do you think there is a contradiction? To me, I guess "natural" means getting rid of material things in order to find my roots. Then I can use that as a starting point for making changes. The changes that I make are what I want, and not what has been dictated by our culture. Does that make sense? Our culture often demands that women wear makeup in order to be attractive, so many women hate the way they look and don't feel that they can be attractive unless they are wearing makeup. I think that is very sad. Tatoos, I think, are different. So I would feel like a tatoo could be "natural" because it would be something that you wanted rather than something that was imposed from the outside. Or did I miss your meaning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:57 pm 
Elephant

There was a conversation not long ago on the board about breast implants being as unnatural as a tattoo...I understood the comparison - as to say don't judge someone with breast implants, but it got me thinking...I'd always considered my tattoo to be "alternative" - though they are more and more popular now- because it made a remark about society/nature/etc. I tend to askew things unnatural as I consider myself to be low low maintanence and consider a simplicity an ideal.
So, I was pretty much wondering what most people on the board thought about tattoos.

I've toyed with getting another for a while because the statement is pretty important to me - I'd like to get a peace sign (as in two fingers sign) in a circle inverted - meaning, I'd like the actual sign to be flesh and then surrounded by a black circle ...this one I'd probably get on my upper tricep (where I could cover it with a long enough sleeve but it'd still be visible with a tshirt).

I don't have the money for all kinds of tattoos so it'll be a while, if ever. :cry:

So, then I'd have a statement about the environment, peace...anyone have or know of a good animal rights tattoo???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:03 pm 
Elephant

I have two tatoos that I like.

A star about the size of a quarter on my left wrist
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gimp6336/detail?.dir=b508&.dnm=3d67.jpg&.src=ph

and a small gecko on my left hip
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gimp6336/ ... pg&.src=ph

I like tatoos and want to get more.

Heyee can someone tell me how to post photos on here please? thanks

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:05 pm 
Elephant

Cool, I like that one with the recycle emblem. I don't have any, but if I got tattoos I'd probably get one with my wife and son's name over my heart, or one that says VEGAN, probably on my back or down my arm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:07 pm 
Rabbit

Gecko's are way cool. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:25 am 
Gorilla

madre, thats so cute. seriously it really really is.

I myself have my ears guaged. they went down in size but they are still guaged, so I cant really preach out about "un-natural things".

I myself love the look of tattoos, but I question how healthy they are.
who knows the long term risks? I have enough problems, the last thing I need is to create another unhealthy one. but this is just my believe. I am not knocking anyone who has tattoos, as I love seeing them and always wanted some.

yet tattoos right now seem silly to me: I am working hard to build my body, why would I want to cover and hide my hard work?

If I ever decided to get a tattoo, it would most likely be a tatoo for my sister, and my deceased sisters. (my inspiration, and guardian angels). that way I am reminded every morning I wake up, of how fortunate I am, and to seize life's opportunities and challenges. and to show how much I love them :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:58 am 
Gorilla

I have one tattoo now, it's of cherries and is inside my right ankle. I've had it about 2 years, and I love it. I hope to get another one soon, but I'm undecided as to exactly where to put it or what the design will be. Plus I don't have the money right now, they're spendy!
I also love piercings!!! Probalby more than tattoos, since they don't have the same element of permanence. I have 3 ear lobe piercings in each ear, then upper cartilage, rook, helix, navel, and formerly my tongue, though not anymore.
I don't really give any consideration to natural or not, trendy or not, any of those things when I get my piercings/tattoos. I just like them! As for anyone else - to each her own! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:15 am 
Elephant

I am damn afraid of piercing pain! Really! I thought it'd be cool to have my tongue pierced a while ago but was afraid of the pain so I opted for consecutive needle jabs with ink...go figure. Topher...thought I noticed that your ears were guaged in the punk rock picture you posted the other day - I terms of health and long term effect, it's likely not a positive contribution but, for me, anyway, it would keep me motivated to be in shape so I could show them off! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 am 
Gorilla

Maybe this is a little sick - but I enjoy the pain of a piercing! It's in some way satisfying, and a little exhilirating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 am 
Gorilla

good notion then. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:21 am 
Elephant

veggymeggy wrote:
Maybe this is a little sick - but I enjoy the pain of a piercing! It's in some way satisfying, and a little exhilirating!

I been told (and this is strictly hearsay :wink: ) that pain is an aphrodisiac! :D