Vegan Pizza

veganmadre

Pizza, pizza you're so dreamy

And your soy cheese is so creamy

I'll go shopping for the ingredients

My mouth keeps drooling, it'll be an experience.

All youse hands off, it's all mine

Except you gopher... you can share mine anytime.

Yeah I know it stinks, just thought I'd give it a try......

veganmadre, you're fab!

But what is a gopher?

And what is a broiler?

And why don't we have this vegan cheese here in Germany? *sigh*

I think this is a great thread - so nice of you to stop hijacking others!

A gopher is an animal that lives underground

Most days he stays hidden and he's nowhere to be found

A broiler has a heat source that cooks pizza from above

It melts the cheesy pizza with it's kindness and with love

Why isn't the cheese in Germany, no reason I can find

I guess you must use another since you're really in a bind.

Your rhymes are all fantastic and I'm truly glad to see

This site is full of vegans who are cheesy, just like me!

A gopher is an animal that lives underground

Most days he stays hidden and he's nowhere to be found

A broiler has a heat source that cooks pizza from above

It melts the cheesy pizza with it's kindness and with love

Why isn't the cheese in Germany, no reason I can find

I guess you must use another since you're really in a bind.

Your rhymes are all fantastic and I'm truly glad to see

This site is full of vegans who are cheesy, just like me!

Thank you, veganmadre, too kind of you.

Now i only hope the information is true

Just kidding, of course i don't doubt your cheesy info,

fellow vegans are cool people, that has always been so!

This thread reminds me of my own hunger,

can't and shouldn't wait to eat any longer!

Ah ha! Vegan Pizza Recipe(S) added to recipe section.....and I am making some tonight! hehehehe. I'm excited!

oh of course. i should have checked in the recipe section first.

god they all sound so good. the salsa pizza expecially intrigues me.

and yesterday i was at the local grocery store and found some vegan pepperoni! its a sign i should make pizza tonight!

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Amy's soycheese pizza isn't vegan. Per the ingredients:

Soy Cheeze Pizza

INGREDIENTS : ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR WITH ORGANIC OAT BRAN AND WHEAT GERM, FILTERED WATER, MOZZARELLA STYLE SOY CHEEZE (TOFU [FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, CALCIUM SULFATE], CASEINATE—A MILK DERIVED PROTEIN, EXPELLER PRESSED SOYBEAN OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, SEA SALT , LACTIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, GUAR GUM), ORGANIC TOMATOES, ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, HONEY, ORGANIC RED ONIONS, SEA SALT, EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, YEAST, ORGANIC GARLIC, SPICES. CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY AND MILK PROTEIN.

I looked it up because I had Amy's veggie lasagna, which I thought was vegan, but then saw caseinate in the ingredients, so I called them up and was told that they hadn't found a substitute that melted as well....

Here's the website with ingredients listed. http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=3

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Amy's soycheese pizza isn't vegan. Per the ingredients:

Not bursting my bubble, I knew that. I just refuse to get bent out of shape over casein. The amount that I will consume over the rest of my life will probably not even amount to a single half-gallon of milk.

I believe that there's a point in which avoiding certain products has less to do with reducing suffering, and more with simply making your own life less pleasant. But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

How many people here completely avoid videotape, camera film, mass-produced bath soap, automobile tires... Society still has a way to go before pure veganism is even viable.

Sorry for changing the topic.

But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

How many people here completely avoid videotape, camera film, mass-produced bath soap, automobile tires... Society still has a way to go before pure veganism is even viable.

No offense taken Sknydpr. I get annoyed with holier than thou people too. I was just surprised when I first found out about the casein in Amy's lasagna because it was marked lactose free and wasn't certain if people knew. Anyhow, much as I would like to classify myself as a vegan, I can't either as there are some things that have no vegan alternative - books, plastic, computers, etc. You are right when you say society has a long way to go......

Sorry for the kind of hijack veganmadre (Are there anymore odes to pizza ?)

Edited by Crash

Not bursting my bubble, I knew that. I just refuse to get bent out of shape over casein. The amount that I will consume over the rest of my life will probably not even amount to a single half-gallon of milk.

I believe that there's a point in which avoiding certain products has less to do with reducing suffering, and more with simply making your own life less pleasant. But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

Sorry for changing the topic.

Yup I must agree with Dan and Crash. There things I buy that arent 100% vegan (ex. proactive solution would be one).

Sorry for the kind of hijack veganmadre (Are there anymore odes to pizza ?)

It seems only logical that a thread that was born out of hijacking another should indeed be hijacked itself.

It is with deep remorse that I inform you of my vow of silence w/ re: to pizza. I made this promise to daywalker in the recipe section.

Thank you all for coming.

Well, lactose is very specifically milk sugar. You can even get lactose-free dairy milk.

Yeah, I know that, but at the time (when I was veganically naive) I thought lactose free meant milk free and it also listed soy cheese as an ingredient so I was surprised there was dairy in it.

No judgments or offense to anyone else, but while I may not be able to control some things, in all good conscience, I cannot and will not eat or wear anything that I know has animal ingredients in it as I don't want to create any type of demand.

I am now also taking a vow of silence on this pizza thread.

What is the point of soy cheese that is NOT vegan? Why not just have real cheese if it's still made with milk/milk product? I've found a LOT of soy cheeses have casien in them, and that just doesn't make sense to me. Why go to the effort of making 'fake' cheese just to throw the dairy back in?

Soy Cheese that has caesin in it is specifically aimed at people who are lactose intolerant rather than people who are vegan. The soy cheese industry believes there is more of a demand for lactose free cheese rather than vegan cheese. The same theory behind 8th Continent having put sheep sweat in their soy milk. They changed when people complained though. The problem with soy cheese is that it is harder to melt. Adding caesin is a cheap way to get it to melt. Its probably a lot easier to swap a D2 for a D3 vitamin. Regular cow's milk generally is fortified with sheep sweat as well.