Vegan Pizza

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
Sknydpr
Manatee
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

#16 Postby Sknydpr » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:32 am

robert wrote:I bought an Amy's Pizza today. Megan and I will share it later on this week.


Amy's Soycheese pizza is pretty damn good.

User avatar
Crash
Elephant
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

#17 Postby Crash » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:53 am

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Amy's soycheese pizza isn't vegan. Per the ingredients:

Soy Cheeze Pizza
INGREDIENTS : ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR WITH ORGANIC OAT BRAN AND WHEAT GERM, FILTERED WATER, MOZZARELLA STYLE SOY CHEEZE (TOFU [FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, CALCIUM SULFATE], CASEINATE—A MILK DERIVED PROTEIN, EXPELLER PRESSED SOYBEAN OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, SEA SALT , LACTIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, GUAR GUM), ORGANIC TOMATOES, ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, HONEY, ORGANIC RED ONIONS, SEA SALT, EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, YEAST, ORGANIC GARLIC, SPICES. CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY AND MILK PROTEIN.


I looked it up because I had Amy's veggie lasagna, which I thought was vegan, but then saw caseinate in the ingredients, so I called them up and was told that they hadn't found a substitute that melted as well.... :(

Here's the website with ingredients listed. http://www.amys.com/products/category_v ... category=3
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

User avatar
Sknydpr
Manatee
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

#18 Postby Sknydpr » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:20 am

Crash wrote:Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Amy's soycheese pizza isn't vegan. Per the ingredients:


Not bursting my bubble, I knew that. I just refuse to get bent out of shape over casein. The amount that I will consume over the rest of my life will probably not even amount to a single half-gallon of milk.

I believe that there's a point in which avoiding certain products has less to do with reducing suffering, and more with simply making your own life less pleasant. But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

How many people here completely avoid videotape, camera film, mass-produced bath soap, automobile tires... Society still has a way to go before pure veganism is even viable.

Sorry for changing the topic. :oops:

User avatar
Crash
Elephant
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

#19 Postby Crash » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:55 pm

Sknydpr wrote:But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

How many people here completely avoid videotape, camera film, mass-produced bath soap, automobile tires... Society still has a way to go before pure veganism is even viable.

No offense taken Sknydpr. I get annoyed with holier than thou people too. I was just surprised when I first found out about the casein in Amy's lasagna because it was marked lactose free and wasn't certain if people knew. Anyhow, much as I would like to classify myself as a vegan, I can't either as there are some things that have no vegan alternative - books, plastic, computers, etc. You are right when you say society has a long way to go......

Sorry for the kind of hijack veganmadre :oops: (Are there anymore odes to pizza ?)
Last edited by Crash on Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.



No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.



http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#20 Postby compassionategirl » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:02 pm

Sknydpr wrote:
Crash wrote:Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Amy's soycheese pizza isn't vegan. Per the ingredients:


Not bursting my bubble, I knew that. I just refuse to get bent out of shape over casein. The amount that I will consume over the rest of my life will probably not even amount to a single half-gallon of milk.

I believe that there's a point in which avoiding certain products has less to do with reducing suffering, and more with simply making your own life less pleasant. But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

How many people here completely avoid videotape, camera film, mass-produced bath soap, automobile tires... Society still has a way to go before pure veganism is even viable.

Sorry for changing the topic. :oops:


Yup I must agree with Dan and Crash. There things I buy that arent 100% vegan (ex. proactive solution would be one). :(

User avatar
Sknydpr
Manatee
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

#21 Postby Sknydpr » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:29 pm

Crash wrote:I was just surprised when I first found out about the casein in Amy's lasagna because it was marked lactose free and wasn't certain if people knew.


Well, lactose is very specifically milk sugar. You can even get lactose-free dairy milk.

User avatar
veganmadre
Elephant
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

#22 Postby veganmadre » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:10 pm

Sorry for the kind of hijack veganmadre (Are there anymore odes to pizza ?)


It seems only logical that a thread that was born out of hijacking another should indeed be hijacked itself.

It is with deep remorse that I inform you of my vow of silence w/ re: to pizza. I made this promise to daywalker in the recipe section. :cry:

Thank you all for coming. :wink:
Making Prudish Americans Uncomfortable - one photo at a time.

User avatar
Crash
Elephant
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: USA

#23 Postby Crash » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:23 pm

Sknydpr wrote: Well, lactose is very specifically milk sugar. You can even get lactose-free dairy milk.

Yeah, I know that, but at the time (when I was veganically naive) I thought lactose free meant milk free and it also listed soy cheese as an ingredient so I was surprised there was dairy in it.

No judgments or offense to anyone else, but while I may not be able to control some things, in all good conscience, I cannot and will not eat or wear anything that I know has animal ingredients in it as I don't want to create any type of demand.

I am now also taking a vow of silence on this pizza thread. :oops:
Out of my mind...Back in five minutes.



No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.



http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

veggymeggy
Gorilla
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Corvallis, OR
Contact:

#24 Postby veggymeggy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:43 pm

What is the point of soy cheese that is NOT vegan? Why not just have real cheese if it's still made with milk/milk product? I've found a LOT of soy cheeses have casien in them, and that just doesn't make sense to me. Why go to the effort of making 'fake' cheese just to throw the dairy back in?

User avatar
Renecarol25
Rabbit
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 2:37 pm
Contact:

#25 Postby Renecarol25 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:41 pm

Soy Cheese that has caesin in it is specifically aimed at people who are lactose intolerant rather than people who are vegan. The soy cheese industry believes there is more of a demand for lactose free cheese rather than vegan cheese. The same theory behind 8th Continent having put sheep sweat in their soy milk. They changed when people complained though. The problem with soy cheese is that it is harder to melt. Adding caesin is a cheap way to get it to melt. Its probably a lot easier to swap a D2 for a D3 vitamin. Regular cow's milk generally is fortified with sheep sweat as well.

User avatar
robert
Site Admin
Posts: 21053
Age: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

#26 Postby robert » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:42 pm

That is a different pizza than the one I got.

The one that I got says VEGAN on it. It is a NO CHEESE pizza, NOT a soycheese one.

So there is no casein in it.

Even though I'm new the vegan pizza thing, I wouldn't buy one that didn't say VEGAN in big letters on it :P

There are quite a few vegan pizza places around Oregon. I ate a lot of it when I was bulking up :)

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#27 Postby compassionategirl » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:50 am

[quote="Renecarol25The same theory behind 8th Continent having put sheep sweat in their soy milk. Regular cow's milk generally is fortified with sheep sweat as well.[/quote]

:shock: Did I read that right? Sheep sweat? WTF!!!!

User avatar
Richard
Site Admin
Posts: 6064
Age: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: England
Contact:

#28 Postby Richard » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:22 am

robert wrote:The one that I got says VEGAN on it. It is a NO CHEESE pizza, NOT a soycheese one.


My brother goes to pizza restaurants and asks for a pizza with no cheese. he brings his own vegan cheese which he then puts on after they serve him. Then I DDT him. That's all true apart from the DDT part

User avatar
willpeavy
Elephant
Posts: 1810
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: florida
Contact:

#29 Postby willpeavy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:15 pm

I always get pizzas with all the veggies and no cheese. For me it's all about the tomato sauce and crust, if the tomato sauce and crust are good, then the pizza is good. Also my favorite toppings are sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms

User avatar
veganmadre
Elephant
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

#30 Postby veganmadre » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:13 pm

Richard wrote:
robert wrote:The one that I got says VEGAN on it. It is a NO CHEESE pizza, NOT a soycheese one.


My brother goes to pizza restaurants and asks for a pizza with no cheese. he brings his own vegan cheese which he then puts on after they serve him. Then I DDT him. That's all true apart from the DDT part


I would really like to comment on this, but, like I have already mentioned, I have taken a vow of silence regarding the P word. crap.
Making Prudish Americans Uncomfortable - one photo at a time.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests