Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:32 am 
Manatee

robert wrote:
I bought an Amy's Pizza today. Megan and I will share it later on this week.

Amy's Soycheese pizza is pretty damn good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:53 am 
Elephant

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Amy's soycheese pizza isn't vegan. Per the ingredients:

Quote:
Soy Cheeze Pizza
INGREDIENTS : ORGANIC WHEAT FLOUR WITH ORGANIC OAT BRAN AND WHEAT GERM, FILTERED WATER, MOZZARELLA STYLE SOY CHEEZE (TOFU [FILTERED WATER, ORGANIC SOYBEANS, CALCIUM SULFATE], CASEINATE—A MILK DERIVED PROTEIN, EXPELLER PRESSED SOYBEAN OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, SEA SALT , LACTIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN, GUAR GUM), ORGANIC TOMATOES, ORGANIC EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, HONEY, ORGANIC RED ONIONS, SEA SALT, EXPELLER PRESSED HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, YEAST, ORGANIC GARLIC, SPICES. CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY AND MILK PROTEIN.

I looked it up because I had Amy's veggie lasagna, which I thought was vegan, but then saw caseinate in the ingredients, so I called them up and was told that they hadn't found a substitute that melted as well.... :(

Here's the website with ingredients listed. http://www.amys.com/products/category_v ... category=3

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:20 am 
Manatee

Crash wrote:
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Amy's soycheese pizza isn't vegan. Per the ingredients:

Not bursting my bubble, I knew that. I just refuse to get bent out of shape over casein. The amount that I will consume over the rest of my life will probably not even amount to a single half-gallon of milk.

I believe that there's a point in which avoiding certain products has less to do with reducing suffering, and more with simply making your own life less pleasant. But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

How many people here completely avoid videotape, camera film, mass-produced bath soap, automobile tires... Society still has a way to go before pure veganism is even viable.

Sorry for changing the topic. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:55 pm 
Elephant

Sknydpr wrote:
But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

How many people here completely avoid videotape, camera film, mass-produced bath soap, automobile tires... Society still has a way to go before pure veganism is even viable.

No offense taken Sknydpr. I get annoyed with holier than thou people too. I was just surprised when I first found out about the casein in Amy's lasagna because it was marked lactose free and wasn't certain if people knew. Anyhow, much as I would like to classify myself as a vegan, I can't either as there are some things that have no vegan alternative - books, plastic, computers, etc. You are right when you say society has a long way to go......

Sorry for the kind of hijack veganmadre :oops: (Are there anymore odes to pizza ?)

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

Last edited by Crash on Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:02 pm 
Stegosaurus

Sknydpr wrote:
Crash wrote:

Not bursting my bubble, I knew that. I just refuse to get bent out of shape over casein. The amount that I will consume over the rest of my life will probably not even amount to a single half-gallon of milk.

I believe that there's a point in which avoiding certain products has less to do with reducing suffering, and more with simply making your own life less pleasant. But then, I still don't classify myself as a vegan, although more because I've met too many that annoy the hell out of me with their self-righteousness. (I'm not directing that at you, Crash.)

Sorry for changing the topic. :oops:

Yup I must agree with Dan and Crash. There things I buy that arent 100% vegan (ex. proactive solution would be one). :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:29 pm 
Manatee

Crash wrote:
I was just surprised when I first found out about the casein in Amy's lasagna because it was marked lactose free and wasn't certain if people knew.

Well, lactose is very specifically milk sugar. You can even get lactose-free dairy milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:10 pm 
Elephant

Quote:
Sorry for the kind of hijack veganmadre (Are there anymore odes to pizza ?)

It seems only logical that a thread that was born out of hijacking another should indeed be hijacked itself.

It is with deep remorse that I inform you of my vow of silence w/ re: to pizza. I made this promise to daywalker in the recipe section. :cry:

Thank you all for coming. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:23 pm 
Elephant

Sknydpr wrote:
Well, lactose is very specifically milk sugar. You can even get lactose-free dairy milk.

Yeah, I know that, but at the time (when I was veganically naive) I thought lactose free meant milk free and it also listed soy cheese as an ingredient so I was surprised there was dairy in it.

No judgments or offense to anyone else, but while I may not be able to control some things, in all good conscience, I cannot and will not eat or wear anything that I know has animal ingredients in it as I don't want to create any type of demand.

I am now also taking a vow of silence on this pizza thread. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:43 pm 
Gorilla

What is the point of soy cheese that is NOT vegan? Why not just have real cheese if it's still made with milk/milk product? I've found a LOT of soy cheeses have casien in them, and that just doesn't make sense to me. Why go to the effort of making 'fake' cheese just to throw the dairy back in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:41 pm 
Rabbit

Soy Cheese that has caesin in it is specifically aimed at people who are lactose intolerant rather than people who are vegan. The soy cheese industry believes there is more of a demand for lactose free cheese rather than vegan cheese. The same theory behind 8th Continent having put sheep sweat in their soy milk. They changed when people complained though. The problem with soy cheese is that it is harder to melt. Adding caesin is a cheap way to get it to melt. Its probably a lot easier to swap a D2 for a D3 vitamin. Regular cow's milk generally is fortified with sheep sweat as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

That is a different pizza than the one I got.

The one that I got says VEGAN on it. It is a NO CHEESE pizza, NOT a soycheese one.

So there is no casein in it.

Even though I'm new the vegan pizza thing, I wouldn't buy one that didn't say VEGAN in big letters on it :P

There are quite a few vegan pizza places around Oregon. I ate a lot of it when I was bulking up :)

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:50 am 
Stegosaurus

[quote="Renecarol25The same theory behind 8th Continent having put sheep sweat in their soy milk. Regular cow's milk generally is fortified with sheep sweat as well.[/quote]

:shock: Did I read that right? Sheep sweat? WTF!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:22 am 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
The one that I got says VEGAN on it. It is a NO CHEESE pizza, NOT a soycheese one.

My brother goes to pizza restaurants and asks for a pizza with no cheese. he brings his own vegan cheese which he then puts on after they serve him. Then I DDT him. That's all true apart from the DDT part

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:15 pm 
Elephant

I always get pizzas with all the veggies and no cheese. For me it's all about the tomato sauce and crust, if the tomato sauce and crust are good, then the pizza is good. Also my favorite toppings are sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:13 pm 
Elephant

Richard wrote:
robert wrote:

My brother goes to pizza restaurants and asks for a pizza with no cheese. he brings his own vegan cheese which he then puts on after they serve him. Then I DDT him. That's all true apart from the DDT part

I would really like to comment on this, but, like I have already mentioned, I have taken a vow of silence regarding the P word. crap.