Trader Joe's Eggs

robert

This was in an e-mail to me, thought I'd pass it along:

You may not be aware that the Humane Society is attempting to get Trader Joe's to stop selling eggs from caged hens.

As you know, egg-laying hens are gentle birds

who are confined in tiny wire coops called battery cages. They are the

most intensively confined animal in the United States, each cage

providing less than a sheet of paper of space per bird.

The Humane Society is trying to encourage national grocery store

chains to stop carrying battery-cage eggs. Their current

campaign is to ask Trader Joe's to stop carrying them. TJ's

competitors -- Whole Foods and Wild Oats -- have both adopted

corporate policies against selling any eggs from caged hens.

Here is a quick way to ease a little suffering in

the world. Would you mind taking a moment to send a personal

message to Trader Joe's and urge them to follow the lead of

Whole Foods and Wild Oats and stop selling eggs from

battery-caged hens? They have already put a statement on the TJ's website, so they must be getting a lot of messages from people.

Just click the link below:

Thanks so much,

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/traderjoes?rk=1dqTFV61aRBzW

ya i often wonder the same thing. There are over 400 registered users, and presumably most AT LEAST agree that caging hens for their eggs is wrong.

So if everybody fired off an email, that would be over 400 emails. That would make a HUGE impact I am sure!

It would be nice, but unfortunately, these kinds of posts dont even get a lot of views, which is surprising on a forum of lots of animal lovers.

anyway flex24 it always nice to see somebody with that sense of urgency for the animals that clearly comes through in your posts.

keep fighting the good fight!

• 1 month later...

update on this issue as promised:

I'm excited to tell you about a major victory in our No Battery Eggs campaign: Thanks to your actions over the past four months, Trader Joe's has agreed to purchase only cage-free eggs for its own brand of eggs, which are sold in more than 200 stores nationwide. The result? An estimated 380,000 laying hens—who provide the more than 100 million Trader Joe's brand eggs sold each year—will be spared lives of suffering in tiny battery cages.

Trader Joe's has agreed that within three months:

All Trader Joe's brand eggs will be converted to cage-free eggs.

Any egg promotions by Trader Joe's will be devoted solely to cage-free egg sales.

With these actions, Trader Joe's has taken a positive step that will have a meaningful effect on animal welfare. By converting its store-brand eggs to cage-free, the company will help reduce the number of birds confined in cruel battery cages.

While Trader Joe's did stop short of adopting a total cage-free egg policy, the company proved to us that it is serious about improving the lives of laying hens. We understand that sometimes change happens a step at a time, and we applaud Trader Joe's for making this strong move.

The fact is, we couldn't have achieved this tremendous victory for laying hens without participation by animal advocates across the country. I cannot thank you enough. This campaign is more proof that caring people have a voice in how animals are treated in this country.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle

President & CEO

The Humane Society of the United States

Woot! Woot! Wish I had seen this topic earlier. I would have sent them a letter. But of course I missed it. But that's wonderful that they're going to do ban battery eggs.

careful vamp : they stopped short of adopting a cage free policy across the board. So it is really only one small step, but more must be demanded of them.

but it certainly is better than nothing

• 3 weeks later...

I will never buy eggs despite 'cage free eggs' because as soon as these cage free hens are stop producing enough eggs to satisfy poultry farmers, they are end up in chicken processing plant and get their head cut off by automated razor.

Some hens are thrown in boiling water alive and boiled to death!

We cannot expect all people on this planet to stop eating meat/dairy/eggs but we as vegans should by our conviction.

• 4 weeks later...