Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:14 pm 
Elephant

compassionategirl wrote:
hey i just called my doc and he said it takes months to buiold immunity to hepatitis B :shock: :shock:

we dont have months we gotta go NOW!

Now what Dan?

can anybody shed some light on this?
Okay gotta go now will check back later today.

watch it nat - my grandmother caught hep b from contaminated water when she was 42. it progressed to liver disease, which kept her in and out of hospital for the remaining 20years of her life. then due to no liver function, she had chronic osteoporosis in her spine and kidney failure, which killed her aged 64.
the likely hood is that you wont be able to save more than a few animals, and you catching something lethal would (if we use the most functional terms here) prematurely remove you from the AR scene, thus resulting in many more animals dying. i for one have to say, please dont go.

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:45 pm 
Manatee

Jonathan gives good advice, and you should take it seriously.

However if we/you go into any water, we will have to take waders like fisherman wear (we weren't smart enough to bring any this past trip and so stayed out of any water that was deeper than our boots), and those should protect us as long as we don't trip on something. The water was going down pretty fast as well, the flooded areas should be much better by the time we would get there.

Again, you have to make your own decision, and I certainly won't blame you for erring on the side of caution. If I had any sense, I wouldn't go anywhere near the floodwater, although I was fairly cautious in what I did do.

There's also a very good chance that, after three weeks, any animals that were trapped in flooded houses are gone already. There are sure to still be many strays outside that could use help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:10 pm 
Manatee

Nat, I'm still gonna call, but the Mayor of New Orleans is recommending that people re-evacuate already because of the new storm.

I think we really have to postpone for a couple of days. It's kinda unlikely we'd even be allowed in right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:44 pm 
Stegosaurus

Sknydpr wrote:

There's also a very good chance that, after three weeks, any animals that were trapped in flooded houses are gone already. .

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

so now what are we supposed to do? The new storm is going o kill more animals who desperately need us? What about the animals trapped that are still alive but barely? i feel so sick inside and a huge sense of grief that is paralyzing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:51 pm 
Stegosaurus

jonathan wrote:
compassionategirl wrote:
hey i just called my doc and he said it takes months to buiold immunity to hepatitis B :shock: :shock:

we dont have months we gotta go NOW!

Now what Dan?

can anybody shed some light on this?
Okay gotta go now will check back later today.

watch it nat - my grandmother caught hep b from contaminated water when she was 42. it progressed to liver disease, which kept her in and out of hospital for the remaining 20years of her life. then due to no liver function, she had chronic osteoporosis in her spine and kidney failure, which killed her aged 64.
the likely hood is that you wont be able to save more than a few animals, and you catching something lethal would (if we use the most functional terms here) prematurely remove you from the AR scene, thus resulting in many more animals dying. i for one have to say, please dont go.

jonathan

Jonathan i am so moved that you care so much and I know you are thinking rationally here and my response is purely an emotional one and you know this about me so you are just trying to be the voice of reason and you are just watching out for me. i know maybe it is irrational but i cannot just sit here while animals are starving to death. :cry: :cry: There is nothing that I can do for the animals in slaugherhouses but i feel compelled to at least try and save the ones in new orleans. Not even just cats and dogs but what happened to all those "livestock"? Are they also dying and emaciated, waiting to be saved, still chained and stuck in crates and abandoned by the farmers? Maybe we could free them and then sneak them to a sanctuary instead of return them to the farmer? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dan, i know you are just watching out for me too but please still call me so we can figure something out but I cannot sit idly by. It is KILLING me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

there must be a way that I can have q quicker hep b shot that kicks in in a day or two, isnt there??????

How is it that the other rescuer workers are able to go into the waters without hep B fears? DO they know something we dont?

There MUST be a way...there just HAS to be a way. :cry: :cry:

damn it why didnt i contact you sooner Dan. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:17 am 
Elephant

I think the best way to help companion animals is to work on putting breeders and pet stores out of business. Millions of animals sit in cages in county shelters waiting for the needle due to pet overpopulation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:11 am 
Manatee

Rita's currently forecasted path:

It's expected to grow into a Cat 3 hurricane before it hits land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:24 am 
Stegosaurus

willpeavy wrote:
I think the best way to help companion animals is to work on putting breeders and pet stores out of business. Millions of animals sit in cages in county shelters waiting for the needle due to pet overpopulation

Will, I am not talking about "ways to help companion animals." There is the way you described, plus working on chained doged issues, etc etc., whihc I think we all (or most of us) do practically on a daily basis with activism.

i am talking about how to rescue the animals starving to death in NO and about to be hit by another storm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:39 am 
Manatee

I freaking hate hurricane season. I'm moving back to Oregon, I swear to god.

I'll take the earthquakes and semi-dormant volcanoes any day.

Here's some crappy pics that I took while I was in NO.

http://sknydpr.com/katrina.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:44 pm 
Elephant

I wish the hurricane was coming to where I live. I like it when it's windy and rainy, and the waves get a lot bigger right before it hits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:00 pm 
Manatee

More pics: http://sknydpr.com/katrina2.htm

I'm the funny looking bald guy in a couple of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:31 pm 
Manatee

Just ducky. Rita is now forecast to hit Houston almost dead on.

That pic above has been updated since I posted it.

Did I mention that I freaking hate hurricane season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:36 pm 
Elephant

I heard on the radio that TX will allow people to bring their pets on the public buses for evacuation since many people that stayed did so to be with their pets during Katrina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:00 am 
Elephant

CollegeB wrote:
I heard on the radio that TX will allow people to bring their pets on the public buses for evacuation since many people that stayed did so to be with their pets during Katrina.

Good to hear. If the city managers in Narleans were a more on the ball, and planned ahead like that, I think they could have done a much better job of getting people and animals out. They have plenty of warning before the storm hit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:26 pm 
Elephant

From the Houston Chronicle's website:
San Leon shelter desperate to place 80 animals