word choice usage

Renecarol25

so I met a local vegan woman online thorough a veggie parents group who has an almost 6 year old son. We decided to get together and introduce our kids since they are so close in age. We had a little picnic at the park and did a hike thru a trail. She had said that they had put little stone animal sculptures along the trail so we could look for them. My daughter said "I want to go hunt for the animals" which kind of freaked our new friend who was like vegan animal hunting. I explained my daughter has no concept of animal hunting in that sense she only means to look for something and try to find it. Like an Easter Egg hunt (which incidently for us doesn't mean dying chicken eggs or anything of that nature but we put little toys/stickers inside plastic eggs that kids look for). I'm wondering how vegan even that is. What do ya'll think?

One meaning of the word hunt is just to search for something. I don't see any problem in vegans using it and little point trying to "protect" our children from a word. It's good your daughter uses words appropriately, she will learn soon enough that many words have multiple meanings.

As far as the easter egg hunt? I avoid them for their pseudo-christian-pagan mumbo jumbo content, not beacause they aren't vegan. Although, I would prefer bird eggs not be seen as something to use for a frivelous game.

I try to avoid dragging too many things under the vegan umbrella. Vegan means not exploiting animals period, neither of the above activities exploits animals, therefore are fine for vegans.

I don't think trying to shelter children from every non-vegan thing will be very effective anyway.