Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Diet & Health
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:36 pm 
Elephant

"Diet & Health - Scientific Perspectives" by Prof. W. Veith.

Great book about nutrition. Veith is a biologist from South Africa. He advocates a plant based whole food diet for optimum health.
I like the book because he explains the benefits scientifically, which gives you good arguments.
What i don't like is that he quotes results of animal experiments :(

He is not vegan, as he is not against honey, nor an animal rights advocate, but that is not only bad. No one can say he's biased because of animal rights issues, he is purely scientific.

I have the 1999 edition, don't know if there are updates by now or new books by him... maybe i should check that out :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:53 am 
Rabbit

That sounds like an interesting book. It's really hard to find a scientific book that doesn't quote animal studies, when you think about it, it's really stupid, they say stuff like a rat thrived on such & such diet, but a rat would thrive living off your garbage, would you? How scientific is that, if you take a moment to think about it?
As for honey, I think eating simple sugars like that can't be significantly better for you than eating any other processed food (in this case it's been processed by a bee, but that's still processed in my book). You get something that's about the same GI as sugar & if eaten will have a pretty similar effect. There may be some relate health benefits, but I'd say most would be offset by the insulin spike & the problems associated with eating any sugar product. That's just the scientific argument. I also don't like stealing from bees, nor do I like the fact that they kill "excess" bees during the winter (they'd have starved anyway as they've stolen their honey), nor the fact they steal the honey, then often keep the few bees left alive with sugar - honey does have a slightly different make-up to sugar. I persume that's important for the bees or honey would not contain them.
Due to the bee industry foreign parasites have been introduced into the English native bee populations that are killing off wild bees. Oh, I could go on...but you get the idea, honey is bad (unless you're a bee of course :D )

Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook