Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:59 pm 
Manatee

I think the suffering of those animals as they were being put in the bags is less then the suffering living day to day in small cages or crammed into a large warehouse. I think this should be a wake up call that putting these birds in those kinds of living conditions is bad for their health. If 2000 people had live smashed together the same way I bet they would also get sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:31 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hmm... just heard on the news that Chinese scientists that are "experts" in flus apparently are recommending that countries "destroy" all of their domestic bird population and .. you ready..."start over." :shock: In other words, here is the plan: Kill all foul in all affected countries, and then start fresh - start breeding from scratch, and fill the world with new healthy birds so we can either eat them, or destroy the ones that happen to be alive at that point in the future when another animal linked disease threatens our species. Afterall, these animals have worth that is exclusively commercial. They are commodities, to be "destroyed" as we see fit and then re-bred as we see fit.

Un- FUCKING- believable. :evil: I am sick of the lame consciousness of of most humans on this earth. SICK OF IT.

GO VEGAN, WORLD, SO THERE WILL BE NO DEMAND FOR "STARTING OVER" in foul breeding AND NO FURTHER ANIMALS WILL HAVE TO BE PICKED UP VIOLENTLY AND ROUGHLY FROM A WING OR LEG OF NECK AND TOSSED INTO A PILE OF TERRIFIED other BIRDS AND BE "DESTROYED."

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Last edited by compassionategirl on Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:52 am 
Elephant

I believe that poor animal husbandry, whilst not responsible for creating avian flu, is very much responsible for it's spread - extremely cramped conditions, slaughter techniques, overuse of antibiotics etc etc.

It is no coincidence that avian flu is most problematic at present in South-East Asia where animal welfare is practically non-existant....If better husbandry and control measures were implemented I do not believe the virus would be such a threat. I'm sure I read somewhere that they use duck manure as fertiliser on paddy fields and this helps spread the virus.

There is a very strong case to be made that farming methods in South-East Asia are very much putting the world at risk - Sars last year, bird flu this year. I hope the rest of the world will some come down very heavy on this region and demand that better welfare and conditions are introduced to limit the spread of such diseases in the future.

Incidentally I was in South-East Asis last month and the reputation of the markets there is well-deserved. You need a strong stomach to walk around them......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:53 am 
Elephant

I believe that poor animal husbandry, whilst not responsible for creating avian flu, is very much responsible for it's spread - extremely cramped conditions, slaughter techniques, overuse of antibiotics etc etc.

It is no coincidence that avian flu is most problematic at present in South-East Asia where animal welfare is practically non-existant....If better husbandry and control measures were implemented I do not believe the virus would be such a threat. I'm sure I read somewhere that they use duck manure as fertiliser on paddy fields and this helps spread the virus.

There is a very strong case to be made that farming methods in South-East Asia are very much putting the world at risk - Sars last year, bird flu this year. I hope the rest of the world will some come down very heavy on this region and demand that better welfare and conditions are introduced to limit the spread of such diseases in the future.

Incidentally I was in South-East Asis last month and the reputation of the markets there is well-deserved. You need a strong stomach to walk around them......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:25 pm 
Stegosaurus

Tarz wrote:

:cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:45 pm 
Elephant

Until people all over this country start dropping dead from the bird flu there is no reason to even think its even an epidemic. If the death toll reaches 40,000 I'll start to be concerned. The only deaths connected to it sofar were from people that directly handled the birds, and I think it was 60 people...2,000 dead in Iraq, several thousand each year dead from drunk driving. I think this whole thing is just another big scare the media has latched onto and the government will use to their own ends. Before you start justifying the government killing anything for bird flu you should ask if its even there, and then get some proof. Until more info becomes available about the spread of the disease and how best to deal with it I think this article (http://www.lizmichael.com/birdword.htm) is just as accurate and appropriate ,if not more, than what you see on T.V. If I get the bird flu I'll let you all know before I die. Till then keep up your vitamin c, stay out of crowds if possible, and don't watch too much news if any because you probably have better things to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:00 am 
Elephant

i agree, B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:38 pm 
Elephant

Fantastic Madre!....Let me just add I'm not dead yet.

Post subject: bird flu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:25 pm 
Rabbit

As a medical scientist I've been asked to comment a lot in the media in Europe dring the past two weeks as the issue has evolved. It's fast-evolving, for sure. Most people know the risks to humans are low at present, especially in the 'western' world where close contact with live poultry is uncommon. The disease at present (the H5N1-type) virus mainly affects chicks very seriously so it can devastate a poultry unit and the commercial aspects kick up a storm. Imported wild birds as pets were the first to bring the virus to UK and shoddy quarantine facilities were exposed because of that. We now have bans against importing wild birds--a trade severly criticised by animal welfarists, conservationists and many scientists like myself who fill all three descriptions. THEN, the also disturbing issue arises of the quite appalling ways in which poultry have been culled around the world to prevent the spread of the virus. I totally understand the rationale behind measures to stop the spread, and the virus is pretty horrible for the birds when they get it, but the ways these birds are being killed off its extremely worrying--no compassion at all, it seems. The slaughterhouses that would have killed them are highly unpleasant as we all know, so these birds were caught between a 'rock and a hard place' from the start. It's very very distressing to think about the miserable ends to poultry/hens.

The only 'good' thing to come from the bird flu crisis is that we have now in place strong prohibitions of importing and selling wild birds.

Cliffy