A mountain of an idea!!!

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
Jay
Gorilla
Posts: 897
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: West Virginia

#31 Postby Jay » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:34 pm

The people of Nepal are so poor and their government is so corrupt that they have started up a pretty serious communist guerilla movement which the Nepalese government is trying to destroy. 40,000 dollars would buy that government quite a few machine guns.

My father is Nepalese and he will not visit there now because things are so bad.

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#32 Postby compassionategirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:52 pm

I was going to say that just because the people of acountry are poor, that doesnt mean the government of that poor country is poor as well. Corrupt and certainly better off than the masses is what I figure most governments are, inlcuding Nepal's government.

So, like I said before, "damn government."

User avatar
chesty leroux
Elephant
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Norfolk, VA

#33 Postby chesty leroux » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:33 pm

compassionategirl wrote:
chesty leroux wrote:chick you are crazy i read Into Thin Air, everest is a man eating monster....But Mt. Kilimanjaro in tanzania...i want to tackle that baby on a day trip.


okay so that means you are in if so long as the mountain isnt everest? seriously, ash, are you in?


I don't think I'm gonna be in any kind of financial situation or have time to train to mountain climb any time soon.
If I can't dance, I don't want any part of your revolution - Emma Goldman

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#34 Postby compassionategirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:10 pm

so much for my brilliant idea. It seems that this has alraedy been done.

http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv76/vv76vegconq.html

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#35 Postby compassionategirl » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:02 pm

I think I would still like to take this on (if I could find funding for this endeavour like maybe get some ar groups to help finance this) IF I can find at least more one vegan to embark on this journey with.

I would hate to go up there surrounded by a munch of meat eating stranger trolls. How lonely I would feel. :(

Tarz
Elephant
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am

#36 Postby Tarz » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:45 am

I like your idea Nat.

BUT - forgive me if I'm wrong as I may have missed an earlier comment in this thread - have you any experience in climbing? Even if you have, Everest is damned tough even for experienced climbers. It can be very, very dangerous too - we wouldn't want to lose you on the mountains Nat. Don't want to be morbid here, but that is a very real possibility...... The expense aspect has already been covered.

I think a more realistic 'challenge' would be one of these long walks/cycles/swims around a place. Easier to train for, less specialist training needed and probably less expensive too. Of course, these can of things take week or months though, so who could spare the time?? Does anything like that appeal to you Nat?

There are challenges in the UK like climbing five peaks ( mountains ) located very close together in a day. The mountains are obviously moderate, but it is still quite some achievement. Anything like that in Canada?

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#37 Postby compassionategirl » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:10 pm

Tarz wrote: Of course, these can of things take week or months though, so who could spare the time?? Does anything like that appeal to you Nat?



yes, if I could find a couple of more vegans to do it with, I am up for any challenge that will help animals, even Everest. Well, maybe I should play it safe and say "almost any challenge."

No, to date I have no climbing experience (other than climbing into my bath tub), but of course I would train long and hard for any everst type expedition, which wouldnt be for at least a year or two. :D

So, Tarz, are you in? :wink:

So far it may be just me you and Topher, and maybe Michael? :wink:

Tarz
Elephant
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:02 am

#38 Postby Tarz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:28 am

compassionategirl wrote:
Tarz wrote: Of course, these can of things take week or months though, so who could spare the time?? Does anything like that appeal to you Nat?



yes, if I could find a couple of more vegans to do it with, I am up for any challenge that will help animals, even Everest. Well, maybe I should play it safe and say "almost any challenge."

No, to date I have no climbing experience (other than climbing into my bath tub), but of course I would train long and hard for any everst type expedition, which wouldnt be for at least a year or two. :D

So, Tarz, are you in? :wink:

So far it may be just me you and Topher, and maybe Michael? :wink:


Sorry Nat - I have neither the time or the money at present to prepare myself for such a challenge/task. I'd end up falling off Everest - I am notoriously clumsy..... To be honest I have no desire to climb Everest either. :wink:

I dont doubt your commitment and resolve but do you really, really have the spare time and necessary finances to organise an event of this kind? I mean these things are major undertakings. I'm not a doubter and don't want to come across as negative, and I'm sure you can do this if anyone can, but to do something like this should not be undertaken lightly. Please consider and think through carefully. :D

I know you want to do this for the animals, but maybe lots of smaller things - i.e sponsored walks/cycles/runs/swims etc - would be just as, if not more productive in the long term? Plus, you could start doing these things sooner rather than later??

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus
Posts: 3110
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

#39 Postby compassionategirl » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:25 am

Tarz wrote: I mean these things are major undertakings. I'm not a doubter and don't want to come across as negative, and I'm sure you can do this if anyone can, but to do something like this should not be undertaken lightly. Please consider and think through carefully. :D

I know you want to do this for the animals, but maybe lots of smaller things - i.e sponsored walks/cycles/runs/swims etc - would be just as, if not more productive in the long term? Plus, you could start doing these things sooner rather than later??


:( The voice of reason :(

:wink: Thanks for your concern for my well-being. Much moved by it. :D


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests