Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:10 am 
Site Admin

That's a radical interpretation of what I said Skynny. I don't think it is really a good thing to encourage kids to eat candy, because it is harmful to their health and teeth etc. There are loads of ways to have fun. Eating some candy isn't the end of the world, but I don't see why people see it like a 'right' that their kids 'should' be eating candy. It's obvious that candy is just bad for you, and its consumption should at least be monitored. If I had kids and they said "I don't want to eat candy", I'd be much happier than if they said "I just ate loads of candy and now I feel sick". There is no 'problem' with a child not eating candy, and there are potential problems with them eating candy. Note the word 'potential'. You don't die instantly from eating one piece of candy or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:24 am 
Manatee

Richard wrote:
That's a radical interpretation of what I said Skynny.

I don't see how it's any more of an exaggeration than your equating candy with cigarettes.

Life is tough, and it's getting tougher. The fact that we, as a group, hold ourselves to a much higher standard than the majority is already gonna make things difficult for the children. I see absolutely no harm in allowing this one night of the year to be frivolous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:30 am 
Manatee

I have a four year old and I am going to take him trick or treating. I think it’s very important to not make him feel left out. I also think really no matter how you bring your kids up in the end they are people and will make their own choices. When they grow up and move out they might stick to the health life style they were brought up with or they might pig out because they finally can.
I have known my best friend since I was 4. She grew up in a very religious anti sweets house. I was raised the complete opposite. When her and her brother moved out they both gained a bunch of weight and now are both atheists. Again I am the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Sknydpr wrote:
Richard wrote:
That's a radical interpretation of what I said Skynny.

I don't see how it's any more of an exaggeration than your equating candy with cigarettes.

Life is tough, and it's getting tougher. The fact that we, as a group, hold ourselves to a much higher standard than the majority is already gonna make things difficult for the children. I see absolutely no harm in allowing this one night of the year to be frivolous.

It's not an 'exaggeration' to say that I said that I think having fun is wrong. That's just not what I said at all :idea: And I never said that eating candy should not be 'allowed'. If I was a parent, I don't know what approach I'd take, I certainly wouldn't say "You're not eating any candy god damn it" etc. But I wouldn't encourage the children to eat it either.

What I am saying is, I don't understand why people accept the traditions that exist, without questioning them. People do things for their kids so that their kids 'don't feel left out'. That's not a good reason to do something. Where do you draw the line with this approach to parenting? What the majority of people do is not an indication of what you should do. Candy is a very pedantic thing to talk about like it is a 'right'. Candy is just unhealthy tasty food, that's all it is.