Free to good home.

Sknydpr

Hyperactive, previously neglected, poorly leash-trained, as yet un-neutered, won't-let-me-sleep-more-than-six-hours-at-a-time, eighty pound TONGUE.

AKA this guy:

http://sknydpr.com/images/loki.jpg

I agreed to foster him for "a couple of days" ten days ago.

He's really a sweetie, he just needs some attention. AND I NEED A FULL NIGHT'S SLEEP!

If he does poorly on a leash, try investing in a gentle leader or halti head collar! Mine has worked wonders on my largest pittie mix. She is like a totally different dog. On a flat collar, she could yank me right off my feet if she felt like it, and the head collar doesn't give her that leverage (and prevents her from choking herself like a dummy). It's great for training! And, for me, they're a great alternative to a pinch/prong collar or a (ack!) choke chain.

Dan, what is his story? Katrina victim? Where are his parents?

No, one of my my AR cohorts is also the local representative of Dogs Deserve Better, and his previous guardians voluntarily gave him up to them, as they couldn't or wouldn't interact with him any more than to give him food and water. He was tied up in their backyard 24/7. So anyway, my friend asked me to go out with her to get him since she doesn't know her way around very well outside of her own little suburb. It was a good thing I was there, 'cause I had to pick the little monster up to get him into the car, and he's come close to yanking *me* off of my feet more than once. Afterwards, when she couldn't find someone to take him temporarily (her husband has threatened to leave and divorce her if she brings home any more animals, and I'm not certain that he's kidding), I reluctantly offered to take him for a couple of days.

Somewhat aggravatingly, she only sent out an email looking for a new home for him on Saturday, a full week after he was supposed to be somewhere else. I like him, I really do, I'm just not in a position to really take care of a dog right now, especially one so large and active.

I've renamed him Loki (Norse god of mischief), since he didn't answer to his original (stupid) name, anyway. The new one fits him.

I'm not kidding about not getting a full night's sleep, though. This crap of falling asleep on the couch every evening is getting old, fast.

He looks like the grown-up version of a puppy we fostered earlier this year. Actually, sounds like him, too. We had a lot of fun with that one, during the three or four weeks that we had him before someone adopted him, but he had wayyyy too much energy for my household or for a full night's sleep.

His hyper-activity may be anxiety because of all the changes in his life (I will assume it's a he based on the name Loki). Maybe he will calm down after he gets used to what's going on. (Maybe he sleeps all day and is excited when he sees his new friend (you).) Teach him that at night you and he are supposed to go to sleep and just go to sleep. Do not get up at every movement or sound (just like parents are not supposed to pick up a baby every time it cries). Pretend you are asleep and maybe he will settle down as well.

When Max was a puppy he kept on jumping up and down on my bed every couple of minutes -- it was anxiety -- until he got used to a routine. Good luck with Loki.

Dan,

How is Loki and where is Loki? Please update?

Compash

He's fine. He's standing right next to me, wondering what I'm doing. I should take some more pictures of him today.

I've finally figured out how to ignore him when he tries to wake me up in the morning, so I'm starting to sleep better.

My friend, who inflicted me with him , posted his pic and info on petfinder.com (not that I can find it right now) and a couple of other websites, but the only responses she's gotten so far were from scam artists. Can you believe that someone would try to trick people trying to find a home for animals out of their money?!

He's slowly but surely getting better on the leash, although he still tries to rip my arm out of its socket when there's another dog being walked. He just wants to be friendly (I think), but he gets way too excited. If we can get him neutered, that should make things much easier on me.

Anyway... He's an adorable big ball of slobber, he's teaching me patience, and if we don't find a home for him pretty soon, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to let him go. If I were in a better financial position at the moment, there wouldn't even be any question of it. Right now it's more of a question of how good a home I can provide than of me wanting him.