Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:27 pm 
Rabbit

I've tried discussing this with her (I've been vegan since I was 12 and a vegetarian long before that)... she's never been accepting, nor will she listen. She's very closed-minded. She refuses to even discuss veganism with me. It hurts, to be honest. I mean, it's who I am, what I believe in, and what I am passionate about... yet she could care less. Thats kind of the attitude of everyone around here... very closed-minded and unaccepting of anyone's differences. So, I've just learned to accept that my views aren't accepted. It sucks and is rather frustrating. She gets angry whenever I talk about veganism... literally annoyed and agitated (and then procedes to eat more meat!) hmm.. could her actions be a result of guilt? LOL... ugh, i dont know anymore.
Awww.. u'r animals sound SO awesome! What fun personalities they have! My cat is very vocal too.. he sings all the time, as does my frog. My dog is like a 2 year old with a chronic case of ADHD... he desperately needs some doggy-ritalin! He's a blast tho and cheers me up whenever I'm down (like today, lol!)
Thanks for the advice, Nat.. and for letting me vent!

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

"Don't Mess with the 'S'!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:20 am 
Gorilla

Ugh, I'm sorry your mom is so against you. That's gotta be tough. My parents aren't exactly supportive, but they don't attack me either. They just write me off as weird. They do accomodate me though, which is nice.
It's my sister that really thinks I'm a freak!

Last edited by veggymeggy on Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:47 am 
Stegosaurus

Sorry to hear about your mom Shelby and your sister Meg. Do they not "love animals' though like dogs and cats? I am surprised that you guys love animal so much without having been raised in a household that loved at least pet animals? Correct me if I am making wrong assumptions. Especially your sister Meg-- I would have thought that younger generations are more open minded about veganism than our parents' generations. Has your sister viewed Meet your meat? Maybe you can send the link to her via email and asker her to "Make up your own mind after you watch this".

I am lucky because my mom happens to be "an animal lover" -- at least by her standards, though not by vegan standards. So when she viewed meet your meat (she was reluctant to do so but I really pushed and would not take no for an answer) she had somewhat of a change of heart and certainly understood why I fwelt compelled to be vegan.

It is hard not to reconsider your attitude when you see footage like that. :cry:

Have a great day ladies.

And Shelby -- dont let the people around you bring you down. In fact, I suspect that the reason why they attack your ways is beacuse YOU are doing something that they KNOW they should also be doing but just dont want to. In other words, you make them feel guilty because your choice highlights their own lack of compassion, and nobody wants to think of themselves as lacking compassion or mercy. So them attacking you and putting you down for your beliefs is a defence mechanism for them.

Not that that helps you out at all. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:58 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks for the input and support, Meg and Nat! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this. As for my mom, she is not an animal-lover... more like a tolerater. She puts up with my "mini-zoo" but doesn't like the fact that I have animals. (lol, i bet she can't wait for me and my kids to move out!) In fact, she even gave away my old Basset Hound behind my back when I was away one summer. I was SO upset that I didn't talk to her for over a month. (and yes, I am scared to death that she will do the same thing with Simon... hence the reason I almost never leave the house, lol j/k). So, that's how my mom is.. not exactly fun to live with, let me tell ya! I'm praying that this ner Personal Training job will bring in enough money (QUICKLY) so that I can move out--- heck, I'd be happy with the smallest studio apartment available! Ugh... I swear I was adopted! LOL

Thanks again u guys! U all rock!
<3 Shelby

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:06 am 
Elephant

Hi Shelby,

Sorry to hear about your Mum. I get grief from my mum too - tho not as much as I used too. 'I don't know any other vegans' etc etc. Whenever I am a bit ill or rundown all I get 'Is it because of your diet'. I just ignore it. My Mum means well - as I'm sure yours does too - but mums do not always know best, whatever they believe. They have to respect our decision. Even if they are not happy with it, they should not continously nag. They should just leave us to get on with it and let us be happy with the choices we have made.

As for your mum giving your Bassett Hound away behind your back - that's awful..... Very sorry to read about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:24 pm 
Elephant

Hey, Great to have you here! Welcome.

http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate
donate to bike and build in my name ashley berkman!!!!!

Listen to my music...
http://www.myspace.com/selfdestructionishabitforming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:38 pm 
Elephant

Shelby, ty for the info on your PT training. :) The trainers I've known all liked the IC situation because they felt they had a better shot at money that way. And none of the gyms around here would ever give anyone a decent setup as an actual employee :P

I'm studying to teach social studies but I'd like to add a Health/PE license to it after I get done with the stuff I'm doing now. My program goes through July 18.2006. Or there abouts. It's a one year program for a MEd. (masters in education) and a teaching cert/license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:37 pm 
Rabbit

Hey Aaron!
No prob... I hope it was helpful! That's cool that the masters program is a year! Do u want to teach Highschool? Being a PE teacher would be a fun job, but social studies is also an interesting subject. I'm sure u'll excel at teaching!

ttyl!

"Don't Hassel the Hoff!"