Gasp, not a vegan

ljk11

Hi there,

If seafood were a vegetable I could be vegan. I love my salmon, canned tuna and shrimp...mmmm....shrimp. I am not a dairy fan nor do I care for much of it as it causes me to feel like crap.

I'd love to hear some reasons for giving up fish and I'm open to change...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

If seafood were a vegetable I could be vegan. I love my salmon, canned tuna and shrimp...mmmm....shrimp. I am not a dairy fan nor do I care for much of it as it causes me to feel like crap.

I'd love to hear some reasons for giving up fish and I'm open to change...

That's a great quote. I could really mess around with it. Like: If potato chips were a vegetable, I would be skinny. Or: If cookies were a vegetable, farmers would be filing bankruptcy. Or even this: If human flesh was a vegetable, um....wait, that one doesn't work.

Glad to have you here. Hope we can encourage you to adopt a vegan lifestyle!

Welcome aboard ljk, even if you aren't vegan, but if you try to do so, it's no big deal.

Theres lots of reasons as mentioned for not eating fish. They also feel pain, so thats another good reason. I see it as "Why make them suffer, just to satisfy 20 minutes of eating?". Doesn't make us any better than other people who people condemn for other acts.

here is a thread entitled

"Why not fish". It is under the Nutrition category. I hope you will reconsider your perspective on fish. Click here to read it: viewtopic.php?t=199&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And here is what I wrote in Aurovan's intro thread entitled " I eat meat". I will reproduce some bits and pieces here for your ease of reference, but you might want to read his introduction:

so true, they are. I have seen fish that are like dogs. For example, when there "owners" came home from work, they would swim up to the side of the tank closest to the door and stay there, as if to greet. I think pet fish, especially with no other fish adn in small tanks, is horribly cruel. Fish get bored too, swimming endlessly in circles in a small tank.

"Did you know, for example, that lobsters are very loyal mates and usually stick to one mate for life!!!! THAT IS AMAZING!! How many humans can you say the same of? Not many, unfortunately.

I can go on with fish facts and stories that would raise your consciousness of these amazing marine life forms, and generate respect for them. The bottom line for me, though, is not that creature is loyal, or smart of whatever. The point for me is that I dont need to kill a fish (or support its killing) to eat, so I choose compassion/life/mercy over taking another living things life, merely to please my tastebuds. "

"You mean you want to find a lobster (i.e. a loyal mate that will never leave you, just like lobsters are loyal and monogomous -- only to be boiled alive and thereby taken away from their life partners and for what? For somebody's few minutes of cullinary pleasure? no joke, this is all lobster fact ). "

so true, they are. I have seen fish that are like dogs. For example, when there "owners" came home from work, they would swim up to the side of the tank closest to the door and stay there, as if to greet. I think pet fish, especially with no other fish adn in small tanks, is horribly cruel. Fish get bored too, swimming endlessly in circles in a small tank.

I have a fish that is like a dog. It's a 9 inch long goldfish in an 80 gallon tank. I do feel bad about having him in a tank. I used to have a beautiful pond. I got a huge tank but it's still just not the same.

Anyway the pond fish were so tame I could pet them and this one tank fish is like a dog. He has facial expressions. He gets a pouty look and big puppy dog eyes when he wants food. And then when I get the food out, he wiggles back and forth fast just like a dog. I think he's mostly depressed though. Even an 80 gallon tank just isn't big enough.

So anyway the argument for not eating fish is pretty much the same as for any other animal. Except fish are healthier than red meat, without fish the only real source of essential omega 3's is flax seed oil which many vegans don't seem to bother with.

I have a fish that is like a dog. It's a 9 inch long goldfish in an 80 gallon tank. I do feel bad about having him in a tank. I used to have a beautiful pond. I got a huge tank but it's still just not the same.

Anyway the pond fish were so tame I could pet them and this one tank fish is like a dog. He has facial expressions. He gets a pouty look and big puppy dog eyes when he wants food. And then when I get the food out, he wiggles back and forth fast just like a dog. I think he's mostly depressed though. Even an 80 gallon tank just isn't big enough.

Jay,

Who is the guy in your avatar? he looks like a movie star.

On your fish story- Do you think your fish would maybe want some more fish to socialize with? Maybe that would make him feel less bored?

and on the second one . Yup, fish are amazing amazing creatures that are WAY more intelligent and amazing than people even realize. They definitely have some dog like qualities -- I have seen with my own eyes as well.

[having said that, it goes without saying that the degree of intelligence or amazingness should not be what determines the degree of compassion with which animals should be treateed]

Jay,

Who is the guy in your avatar? he looks like a movie star.

On your fish story- Do you think your fish would maybe want some more fish to socialize with? Maybe that would make him feel less bored?

and on the second one . Yup, fish are amazing amazing creatures that are WAY more intelligent and amazing than people even realize. They definitely have some dog like qualities -- I have seen with my own eyes as well.

[having said that, it goes without saying that the degree of intelligence or amazingness should not be what determines the degree of compassion with which animals should be treateed]

It's Aldous Huxley, one of my favorite writers. (That pic to me is the face of reason scowling at an insane world.) Actually he was almost totally blind not that it shows in that pic.

I have a second fish to give him company. But when I got the second one, the first acted like he wanted to get as far away as possible for a couple weeks before he finally got used to him. The second fish is pretty dumb though. Maybe he/she will mature with age.

Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm happy to not get flamed for admitting I do eat fish.

one other question - I eat free-range, cruelty-free (from a local farm where the chickens roam and get to eat what they want) eggs...how is this a bad thing?

Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm happy to not get flamed for admitting I do eat fish.

one other question - I eat free-range, cruelty-free (from a local farm where the chickens roam and get to eat what they want) eggs...how is this a bad thing?

I personally would say that this is WAY better than the other alternatives that you could choose out there, so thanks for going with this than the factory farmed ones, those are just terrible it brings tears to my eyes.

I am not sure if there is anything wrong with this, but there are people here that are more knowledgeable on that subject so I will keep my mouth shut.

Hey, here's what I said in another thread about eggs, which includes free-range:

- Chickens are kept in captivity

- Egg farming is linked with slaughter; male chickens often (usually) killed straight away because there is no use for them.

- Chickens have been bred / engineered to make far more eggs than their bodies are naturally equipped to make.

- They're not allowed to have sex - they're cut off from males altogether to avoid fertilization. While necessary in the industry, it is just another thing that shows how shitty the chickens lives are.

- You can't get consent from the chickens to take their eggs