Greetings to all...newbie here!

Kathryn

Since I just registered and posted to another thread (had to put in my two cents about mock chicken salad!), I thought it would be polite to introduce myself.

I'm Kathryn (as you can see, I don't have much imagination--or memory--when it comes to user names). I became a vegetarian ( cold turkey, or "cold tofu," if you prefer) in 1976, and have been almost vegan since then. Went all-the-way vegan (with a few lapses) in 1990 after attending an AR conference in Milwaukee, WI, where I attended sessions by Neal Barnard and Ingrid Newkirk.

I am an avid "home exerciser" aka "vidiot" (weight training, kickboxing, step, functional fitness) and belong to a couple of other fitness forums that I visit daily. On one, I've been giving out a lot of info on veganism (the other bans 'diet' talk) and turning some people to "the light side"! Yay! I'm always on the lookout for info to help convince others and support their transition to veganism. Some people on other forums are way into the low-carb, eat lots of animal parts diets (we don't "talk" to each other that much, and it seems to work out fine).

From seeing everyone's avatar pics, I have a feeling that I'm going to be one of the older folks here (not rickety yet, though! and one of my goals is to never be that way!) !

Hello Kathryn!

Welcome to our forum. Awesome to see that you have vegan for a very long time. Great stuff!

Thanks for the bio and history about what you've been up to. It is great to get to know other vegans from all over the world and this is a really friendly place to chat.

Have a great time here and we all look forward to getting to know you better.

All the best,

Robert

Hey welcome to the site Don't pay attention to photographs, they can be misleading, for example, in rob's photo it looks like he has a really small left hand, but that's just perspective

HAHAHA,

I never noticed that before. I guess it's time for me to change photos. My website guy put this one up and I'm not even totally sure I'd be successful changing photos, based on my computer usage track record. It would probably just end up with a huge X and no image

I'll work on getting a super awesome image up soon with a BIG left hand!

-Lefty

in rob's photo it looks like he has a really small left hand, but that's just perspective

LOL!

Maybe a vestigial limb? Looks kind of like the appendages on the aliens in the new "War of the Worlds" movie. Definitely needs to be changed, because some non-vegan cruising this site will attribute it to your diet!

(Just LOOK at what a vegan diet will do to you! Fine if you only want ONE good bicep!).

Welcome, Kathryn!

I'm a vidiot too! I love my exercise vids & I love working out at home. What's your fave cardio & what type of weight equipment do you have at home? I like step the best & we have a nice home gym setup for weights. Now I just need to get more consistent in using all of it!

BTW, I'm older too, but sure don't feel my age!

I'm a vidiot too! I love my exercise vids & I love working out at home. What's your fave cardio & what type of weight equipment do you have at home?

Hi, CrispyQ!

My favorite cardio is kickboxing (Powerkicks, which will be coming out with some new workouts soon!), and I also do step, rebounding (though it haven't had it out for a while) and various hi-lo. I have a spinning bike, but haven't use it for a while.

I have soooo much equipment, but no actual workout room (my living room is also my workout room! Or maybe I should say I have a sofa and a TV in my workout room!. I have a full compliment of dumbbells, from 2# (rehab weights) to 35# (one of those, for lat rows). Barbells. Bands. Medicine balls. A rebounder. A Bodywedge. A chin-up tower. A Soloflex Rockit. A Wavemaster heavy bag. Weighted gloves (for kickboxing). A high step. (My "Fanny Lifter" became a computer table quite a while ago!). And a bunch of other stuff that's not currently in view, so I'm forgetting it.

I'm a vidiot too! I love my exercise vids & I love working out at home. What's your fave cardio & what type of weight equipment do you have at home?

Hi, CrispyQ!

My favorite cardio is kickboxing (Powerkicks, which will be coming out with some new workouts soon!), and I also do step, rebounding (though it haven't had it out for a while) and various hi-lo. I have a spinning bike, but haven't use it for a while.

I have soooo much equipment, but no actual workout room (my living room is also my workout room! Or maybe I should say I have a sofa and a TV in my workout room!. I have a full compliment of dumbbells, from 2# (rehab weights) to 35# (one of those, for lat rows). Barbells. Bands. Medicine balls. A rebounder. A Bodywedge. A chin-up tower. A Soloflex Rockit. A Wavemaster heavy bag. Weighted gloves (for kickboxing). A high step. (My "Fanny Lifter" became a computer table quite a while ago!). And a bunch of other stuff that's not currently in view, so I'm forgetting it.

LOL - funny about your workout room having a sofa & TV in it!!

A few questions: Is a rebounder a mini-tramp? What the heck is a bodywedge & what type of workout do you do with it?

Have you used a stablity ball? I have some new tapes that use them for weights & general flexibility exercises. Any recommendations on the type of ball to consider?

I have a nice bench to use for high step work. Do you have any vid recommendations for such a workout? Do you frequent Video Fitness?

BTW, you are the only other person I know who has a Rockit! We've had ours for years - actually I don't think they make them anymore. In fact, is Soloflex even in business anymore? It's a great way to do squats though, huh?

So glad you are here! You can turn me onto new vids -- I've been out of the loop for about 5 years.

>>>Is a rebounder a mini-tramp?

Yes, but higher quality than the cheap ones you can get at Walmart, etc. (bigger springs, some fancy material in the mat, folds for storage). I like to use it to do high impact moves on that I don't want to do on the floor. Or to jog and sprint on (which I can't do normally because I screwed up a knee doing it years ago).

>>What the heck is a bodywedge & what type of workout do you do with it?

A body wedge is a heavy foam wedge with a cover on it that acts as an incline bench. There are 21 exercises illustrated on it. There's a cheaper, inflatable version of it (bright yellow!) available as well.

>>Have you used a stablity ball?

Oops! I forgot those (I have two: a Core Secrets ball and a Dura Ball pro).

>>Any recommendations on the type of ball to consider?

Definitely get a burst resistant ball (if it gets poked with a sharp object, it slowly deflates instead of bursting. Especially important if you're using weights on it. www.fitterfirst.com sells only burst resistant balls. As I said, one of mine is the Dura Ball pro, but I'm peeved with Paul Chek at the moment (see my post in " General Discussion" so won't recommend it.)

>>I have a nice bench to use for high step work. Do you have any vid recommendations for such a workout? Do you frequent Video Fitness?

I'm over at VF all the time (and not hard to find: I'm pretty unimaginative when it comes to user names ).

Cathe Friedrich uses the High Step a lot (and she kind of invented it). She uses it primarily for step-ups. The Firm uses a high step as well for step-ups/leg presses.

>>BTW, you are the only other person I know who has a Rockit! We've had ours for years - actually I don't think they make them anymore. In fact, is Soloflex even in business anymore? It's a great way to do squats though, huh?

I haven't seen the Rockit advertised for ages, but I've seen other Soloflex products (like the new Treadclimber) advertised, so they are still in business. I think they still make the Rockit, but maybe don't advertise it much because it doesn't appeal to a wide audience? It's a great way to do squats at home, and I can really heavy up without worrying about killing myself without a spotter! I also like to use mine as an incline bench for incline bicep curls and reverse shoulder flyes (when there's not laundry drying on it...eek!)

>>So glad you are here! You can turn me onto new vids -- I've been out of the loop for about 5 years.

Then you probably don't know about "P90X" by Beachbody? My best fitness video purchase last year, and probably for several years. It's an entire system for strength and muscle gain, with 12 workouts: four upper body (two splits: chest/back and shoulders/arms and back/biceps and chest/shoulders/triceps), one lower body (mostly unweighted or light weight work), a plyo workout, a core workout (both very unique), an ab workout, two cardio workouts (the weakest of the system, but it's not meant to be cardio heavy), and abs workut, a stretch and a long and tough yoga workout. They set up a whole 90-day rotation (which I took 110 days to do! More rest days!) that is excellent, IMO.