Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:00 am 
Finch

Jay wrote:
flowerdale,
Veg sources of omega 3's are pretty much only in walnuts, hemp seed and flax seed. And only flax seed really has enough to balance out all the omega 6's people get in other foods.

Thanks Jay. I think I'll get some flax oil so I don't have to worry - cause I certainly don't want my bitch factor to rise again lol. Unfortunately hemp seed and all like products are banned here in Oz so I can't get any of that. Wish I could - it sure is a great high quality protein.

Quote:
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I don't think rice is good for diabetics. I think the glycemic index is too high? (It digests too fast, makes too great an insulin rush??)

I only eat brown rice Jay and only 1/2 cup cooked daily. The GI of brown rice is 55 so it falls just under the low GI category and white rice is classified medium GI at 58. So there really is not much of a difference is there. Anyway, I'm just going to see how my blood sugar readings go while eating vegan with the brown rice and then make a decision whether to stop eating the rice or not.

Quote:
Also please know that vegans need a B-12 supplement. I'd recommend a liquid supplement, although without it, it can take a few years) or many decades) for problems to develop.

I am taking a B12 supplement in tablet form but I have noticed that the soy milk I have has B12 in it. It unfortunately doesn't say how much but I'm going to find out so I may not need to take the supplement. So what difference is there between tablet form and liquid form?

I appreciate your advice Jay thank you.