Oi from Detroit, MI

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Valente
Rabbit

Oi from Detroit, MI

#1 Postby Valente » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi. I'm Valente and I've been a vegan for about 18 months. My journey to a vegan diet was gradual. First the severe lactose intolerance since teenagery, then a few years later, the disgust for the taste of red meat, the tiring of poultry and fish, and finally a girlfriend raised vegetarian with which to take the final step. I'm now much more conscious of the environmental and moral benefits of a vegan lifestyle.

I'm so fortunate to have found this community after searching for ways I could optimize my diet, and gain more core strength for my favorite activity, Capoeira!

I had no idea there were so many vegan athletes; especially body builders! This forum is rich with education and love. I look forward to learning and sharing a lot.

robert
Site Admin

Re: Oi from Detroit, MI

#2 Postby robert » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks for joining us! We're happy to have you. Have a great time and enjoy the community. All the best and welcome aboard!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

markc7
Gorilla

#3 Postby markc7 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Welcome aboard!
"He not busy being born is busy dying" - Bob Dylan "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"
"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose" - Kris Kristofferson "Me and Bobby McGee"

SeaSiren
Elephant

#4 Postby SeaSiren » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:03 pm

Welcome from Harrison Township MI! :) I just moved to the area, great to see more vegan people who live near me.

I'm Your Man
Elephant

#5 Postby I'm Your Man » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi Valente and welcome !
"Do your best, don't worry, be happy" - Meher Baba

Gaia
Elephant

#6 Postby Gaia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Hello from Oxford, MI (north of the Palace of Auburn Hills)! It is great to see another Michigander on the forum!

cubby2112
Elephant

#7 Postby cubby2112 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Welcome, Valente! If I remember right, there are plenty of member into Capoeira. Check the General fitness/other sports section for the martial arts threads.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

VeganGirl2006
Gorilla

#8 Postby VeganGirl2006 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:49 pm

Welcome! Although I have never tried capoeira, I am into Tae Kwon Do. It's nice to meet another martial artist! :)
Courtney

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians."
-Linda McCartney

flanders77
Elephant

#9 Postby flanders77 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Welcome aboard! :D
Bigbwii wrote:The force is strong on the fruity side.....

http://www.david-schulz.com
Life Science
Got Milk?

tuc
Elephant

#10 Postby tuc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:12 am

Welcome Valente!

Capoeira is so much fun! I can do some moves like au batido... you should post pics here of you doing capoeira!
Y.E.A.H. B.U.D.D.Y. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
(citation of Lean & Green) Click here for more yeah buddies!

I run a vegan food webstore and retail store chain in Finland. Please check http://www.vegetukku.fi for more information (sry, only in Finnish)!

Valente
Rabbit

#11 Postby Valente » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 am

VeganGirl2006 wrote:Welcome! Although I have never tried capoeira, I am into Tae Kwon Do. It's nice to meet another martial artist! :)

Nice to meet you, VeganGirl! I'm a closet TKDoan. My best friend trained TKD when we were kids and would always teach me what he learned from class. My family couldn't afford the classes, but I learned a bunch, just from him! I even apply some of what I learned from him about using my hips and breathing into my Capoeira training.

tuc wrote:Welcome Valente!

Capoeira is so much fun! I can do some moves like au batido... you should post pics here of you doing capoeira!

au batido is a pretty slick move, you must be pretty flexible. I tried it a few times, but haven't mastered it yet. I'll get some pics up soon!

hsorlando
Elephant

#12 Postby hsorlando » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:21 pm

Welcome!!
The devotion of thought to an honest achievement makes the achievement possible.

DV
Elephant

#13 Postby DV » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:24 am

Welcome!
Do what you always did, get what you always got.

Lean and Green
Elephant

#14 Postby Lean and Green » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Welcome Valenta. If it wasn't for the movie 'Meet the Fockers' I would have never even heard of Capoiera :lol: Funny how things work out right? :D Welcome to this humble yet intense community; with your wonderful and bright personality, I am certain you will enjoy your time spent reading/posting here....

Awesome hearing about your transition to veganism over the years ;)
Where do you get your protein?
http://www.VeganProteins.com

Joelk wrote:But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Valente
Rabbit

#15 Postby Valente » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Lean and Green wrote:Welcome Valenta. If it wasn't for the movie 'Meet the Fockers' I would have never even heard of Capoiera :lol: Funny how things work out right? :D

Yeah, funny indeed. Capoeira is one of those arts that is all around, but often escapes notice. In the movie Oceans 12, the main villain was a thief and did a set of Capoeira moves to avoid tripping off motion detection lasers. If you search youtube, you'll probably find it.

Return to “Introductions”