Eugene, Or

geode

hi, i've been geeking out on the health and nutrition section a lot, and figured i'd open up a bit.

i grew up over weight, my parental unit's idea of a meal was a 99 cent whopper from the burger king drive through. to her credit though, she can make a mean enchilada and was busy getting herself through school... i eventually got involved with taekwondo, and pop warner football. with a couple of years of this i totally changed my body. when i started playing football in high school i was pretty surprised with myself; i played the line, but could sometimes beat the backs and receivers in sprints.

then i got expelled for possession of some pot.

since then, my activity level has fluctuated and so had my weight (155-190). I'm 5'10" and lately, i've been floating around 172-177.

in '98, i had a bad mountain biking crash, fractured lumbar vertebrae (3), but made a full recovery. then in '03, it caught up with me. after a rollercoaster with doctors and medications, and phases of debilitation; i've managed to rehab myself with exercise instead of surgery. in an effort to maintain the integrity of my back, i strive to maintain optimal health - body, mind, and spirit. i still watch a few too many movies during the break between terms, and i need to get my sugar cravings in check, but i am drug free and pursuing a formal education in health/fitness/wellness.

I first went vegan around '99, when i found a why vegan phamplet in the local library. then i joined the military. i lasted a while in boot camp, but between the gas and low energy levels i went back to omni. then around '02 i went veg after looking at the chicken meat on my kitchen counter. it wasn't long till i bought soy milk and went vegan again. i then got connected to a community of animal rights activists and endured the rest of my enlistment (long story). once discharged, i spent some time with hobos and became an "opportunivore". today though, i'm vegan because of the health, environmental, and ethical aspects.

i'm an avid cyclist. last winter, i started with an old schwinn frame someone gave me and built a fixie that i absolutely love

i do some sprints here and there (great running trails in eugene), a little yoga, some body weight exercises, and i recently started taking kung fu.

Maybe by being more personable, my communication on the board will seem more clear?

this is where i call home:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willamette_Valley

this is a pretty cool band http://www.myspace.com/whopnercounty

Edited by geode

Welcome!

A pamphlet in a library huh? Now that's a cool library! I always wondered how the army and other armed forces would treat those into veganism. I used to be interested in The Marine Corps but then the war started and all and I always thought to myself that the road I was on in regards to veganism and going raw (i'm raw now), would in no way be facilitated at meal times. Did they take care of you in any way? Very curious.....

Glad you recovered after that accident. Nice to have you around and to read such a warm intro.