Samantha the Noob :)

MadamePhilosophy

Hi everyone! My name is Samantha. I'm a vegetarian transitioning to veganism. (Only thing left is cheese my friends.) I've been a vegetarian since the 7th grade, and been battling ignorant people uphill ever since. I'm sure you're all aware of what I'm talking about "Vegetarians don't get enough protein!" "Vegetarians are all tree-huggers." (Which I am, proudly.) "Vegetarians have weak immune systems." "Animals were meant to be eaten." You get the point.... Anyway, a particularly ignorant comment has always irritated me, "Vegans look sickly". I've never seen a "sickly" looking vegan. It got me thinking though, I'm considered obese. I really try to advocate vegetarianism, and I feel like people would take me a lot more serious about nutrition if I were in shape! Plus, no one likes to be told "You have a pretty face..." Anyway, my goals are as follows:

1: Become Vegan

2: Loose Fat!

3: Unofficially become a poster child for the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle

I think sometime next week I'm going to go to the gym and talk with a personal trainer.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/sammie_joe/DSCN1130.jpg

That's My Boyfriend (Michael) and me. This is the most recent photograph of myself.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/sammie_joe/DSCN1017.jpg

That's me as well

Welcome!

I love your avatar and that was a great intro! Your eyes are also wonderful, so deep blue!

I actually think we have some vegans here who look "sick" but only in a good way .

Good luck with your transitioning, I'm sure you'll get all the help and info here you might need. You'll also notice we have quite odd humor here but it's all good.

Thanks for the welcome I think the biggest challenge for me to maintaining an exercise regimen is that I work 60 hours a week (5-12s) and go to school full time. I started taking vitamins (that's good, right?). I always read about recipes and exercises, nutrition and whatnot. My biggest downfall is definitely carbs, because for me, that's the staple of my diet. I eat potatoes with almost everything, and it's usually the one thing I know will get me full.

I appreciate encouragement from everyone!!!!

Yo, welcome to the forum, that's great that you're going to make the transition to veganism. That's strange that you say you are considered obese - considered by who(m)? From those photos I don't think you seem obese at all. I know what you mean about getting in shape, it's a cool way to represent animal rights when you're in great shape, because it shuts down some stupid ideas that people have about a vegan diet.

I actually think we have some vegans here who look "sick" but only in a good way .

High five

Yo, welcome to the forum, that's great that you're going to make the transition to veganism. That's strange that you say you are considered obese - considered by who(m)? From those photos I don't think you seem obese at all. I know what you mean about getting in shape, it's a cool way to represent animal rights when you're in great shape, because it shuts down some stupid ideas that people have about a vegan diet.

High five

Via my nutrition class. Everyone always acts suprised when they hear how much I really weigh, and they gasp and go "You don't look it at all!!!!" but I usually think they are being polite.

I weigh 164 pounds! That's a lot! It's considered obese by the BMI. My body weight in high school was a rollar coaster because I swam (gained 30 pounds of muscle, manly looking, couldn't zip up my homecoming dress) then lost 15 pounds (track, had to buy new jeans to fit them over my thighs) then dated an asshole (lost about 20 pounds) and at that point I weighed about 100 pounds. We broke up, I started college, and low and behold! A year later I weigh 64 more glorious pounds of wasted energy and potatoes!

It's really hard to be an overweight female - this comes from someone who used to be superjock.

I'm not going to be fat ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm202/dclover345/adfadfasdfasfsv0.jpg

I don't see how people could even think you were fat. I understand about wanting to be a more fit vegan, and represent this lifestyle better. I am still struggling myself to do this. I don't eat enough greens , and as a vegan I should consume a lot more. Anyway congrats on making the transition from vegetariian to vegan. This is a wonderful place to hang out!

Welcome Madame. I love the way that word rolls off the tongue.

As tuc said your eyes are a 'piercing' surreal blue. I love them. That's retarted, you are def not obese. I also the the bmi index, which is not really related but according to it I am obese and still am, what a joke.

"Vegetarians are all tree-huggers." (Which I am, proudly.)

Reminds me of a shirt I saw a cute little 8 year old girl wearing.... I don't only hug trees, I plant them" I gotta get a shirt like that!

As far as the vitamins thing goes, well since you asked, you want to avoid synthetic vitamin supplements which will initially do good but eventually lead to all sorts of imbalances. Wholefood vitamins are a better option and most aren't.

I'd focus more on the training and diet right now like you said and you have a wonderful background in athletics so you'll have no problem getting back into it. I wouldn't gorge on potatoes or use them as a staple. There are so many other things that are alot more nutritionally dense. I believe that sweet potatoes are healthier and don't they taste so much better? Red Yukon potatoes are supposed to be good too.

Thanks for sharing all of your cool pics with us. I love pics as you may have noticed I tend to post them frequently

In conjunction with seeing a trainer feel free to ask away if you haven't already all around the forum.

Great intro and look forward to having you here

Thanks for the welcome I think the biggest challenge for me to maintaining an exercise regimen is that I work 60 hours a week (5-12s) and go to school full time. I started taking vitamins (that's good, right?). I always read about recipes and exercises, nutrition and whatnot. My biggest downfall is definitely carbs, because for me, that's the staple of my diet. I eat potatoes with almost everything, and it's usually the one thing I know will get me full.

I appreciate encouragement from everyone!!!!

Hello and Welcome from one potato loving person to another.