New to Vegan and still new at working out.

Jolfer

So I'm new to being a vegan, third day, still learning little things that qualify what I can't eat, but I'm really eager to make it work.

Just curious, if anyone else went from regular vegetarian to vegan, is there anything I should know about bodybuilding, dieting, etc.? Since I'm still new to a proper diet, and learning day by day, and I'm learning that diet is probably the most important part of looking and feeling good, and lowering body fat.

Thanks guys, really glad I found this site!

Welcome!

Congratulations on the lifestyle switch! That is fantastic!

Search through the forum and main website and you'll get lots of questions answered. On the forum look for sticky posts or announcement posts for important topics and answers to frequently asked questions.

All the best and welcome aboard! We're pleased to have you here.

Welcome!

Yes, I was veggie for two years, and then switched over to veganism. Been vegan for 6 years now, and am still learning new things! (But the things are far apart and spaced out now. You are probably learning something new everyday! Such a fun time! And the journey begins . . . . ).

It helps if you ask specific questions about what you need to know. There are alot of replies on this forum that covers the basics, so use the search option, but if there is something you need to know specifically then ask and Ye shall recieve!

Welcome!

Please start your excercise with moderation and sustainable consistancy.

After being lacto-vegetarian for 10 years, I've been vegan for 5. In the first couple of months I lost 35#. While I did great when I replaced cheese with steamed veggies, over the years I reduced veggies and increased pb, bread, oil, corn chips, bread, salt, etc. and slowly 20# came back. If I can make one dietary suggestion, I'd suggest getting a bag of whole mung beans and one of lentils and growing sprouts to eat every day.

Edited by John V

Welcome. You'll find plenty of info here. Just remember to keep your protein intake moderate. You don't need massive amounts of 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight as stated on most of the other bodybuilding sites. However, as weight training athlete you need more than the minimum 10-20 g that some Vegans recommend. Yes, you can probably eat that little protein, but you will not gain muscle unless you are a genetic freak, or think that Tim Van Orden has a "lot of muscle".