Post subject: MMM.........
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:20 am 
Manatee

Thanks my FINE FEATHERED FRIEND..... :lol:
My jaws are watering :essen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 pm 
Stegosaurus

Havent been online much as I have no internet at home these days but welcome to this awesome community. :zunge: :wav:

Looking forward to getting to know you better. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:21 pm 
Gorilla

Raven, what kind of fruit do you like in them? Pears were great but I just tried an apple with collard greens and it really doesn't taste very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:33 am 
Manatee

Do you think this would be powerful enough:

--Cuisinart SmartPower Premier Blender

A wise choice, the Smart Power blender features a powerful 600-watt motor, 50-oz. glass jar, ice crush and pulse buttons plus count-up timer with continuous beep after 5 minutes of blending time. Cast metal and brushed stainless design. Includes instructions and recipe booklet.--

600 watts would be about 0.80 horsepower so it is about half the power of the Vitamax 4500, which has a 2 horsepower motor.)

I can get the Cuisinart one for $100 at a local store where I have a $65 gift certificate. The Vitamix will be $350.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:53 pm 
Gorilla

Jay, I answered in your food thread. The author of the Smoothie article also lists pears as a favorite.

Hi, 9nines :)

I would save for a vitamix! It's so worth it. That's what I did.
People still have theirs after 25 years.
But, if you can't wait, a 600 watt would work.
Just add the fruit and liquid/water first, blend; add some leaves, blend; add more leaves; etc. This, so you won't overburden the blender.
The point is to completely emulsify the greens so there is no grittiness or tiny pieces so it's totally smooth.
Also, cold or frozen fruit and cold water or ice is good to keep the smoothie from overheating, if you find that happens.

I got my vitamix about 6 years ago and I never made smoothies. I used it all the time, though, for other recipes I'd make. Almost daily. I've been making green smoothies for over a year now. Just so you know the VitaMix is a workhorse, and you'll find you'll use it for other things.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:10 pm 
Manatee

My Mom had a vita mix when I was growing up. It had a little tap on the side and I hated using it because that tap was impossible to get fully clean. I think it would be better without the tap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm 
Rabbit

Welcome! I'm from So.Cal as well. Where abouts are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome Tyler, you should meet up with us for the Vegan Vacation that will be a week in L.A. in late July or early-mid August...I'm still figuring it out but should have SET DATES in the next 5 days or so.

Tell your friends from So Cal to join our group too!

Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 am 
Gorilla

Hi :),
I'm in L.A. county. Welcome!

evan, what's a tap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 am 
Manatee

_raVen_ wrote:
Jay, I answered in your food thread. The author of the Smoothie article also lists pears as a favorite.

Hi, 9nines :)

The point is to completely emulsify the greens so there is no grittiness or tiny pieces so it's totally smooth.

:)

My old blender does not seem to strain, with about 5 or 6 dark green leaves (chard, kale etc.) but it is gritty and stringy. I run it about 1 to 2 minutes.

How long does the Vitamix take to make it as smooth, as you describe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:03 pm 
Gorilla

Less than 30 seconds, 9nines. It is 2 horsepower, so it does a very smooooth job.
It varies depending on how much greens I stuff in there, or other things like ice, etc.; but it's about that long.

There is also the k-tec which is even more powerful at 3 horsepower (though it may not be as sturdy/reliable/long-lasting as the vitamix - not sure. I may get one, but I don't need one right now).

How are you doing it? do you put the fruit first and blend, then add greens? I would do that and try to get it smooth. *Then* add any liquid a bit at a time. This may help to get it fully pulverized without too much liquid to move it around and away from the blades. That would be my suggestion.
Otherwise, get the vitamix ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:13 am 
Elephant

Evan wrote:
My Mom had a vita mix when I was growing up. It had a little tap on the side and I hated using it because that tap was impossible to get fully clean. I think it would be better without the tap.

you can order a container for the older model (the one i still use this moment) that does not have a tap (or spigot if you will), which was used for shooting homemade softserve ice cream out of. I have both the old container ( i use for compost) and the newer one, that resembles the one one the newer vitamixes (sp). YOu are right, food would always get stuck in the spigot, and cleaning out was not all that easy.

If you mother still has it, and is not using it, you should grab it and get the new container. I feel that the older design is better, and free is always cheaper!!! :D :D :D :D

combined my mother and I have had ours for about 15 years. :)

though admittedly I am using more often in the last 5 years then she did in the previous 10 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:51 pm 
Elephant

I have been looking at these green smoothies quite a bit lately. I love greens, but it is hard to eat a lot of them, especially raw. These smoothies sound like a good solution. I would like to buy all the fresh I can, but I am in college and cannot splurge so much on it. Would frozen greens be any good at all? Or is it mostly pointless to put these in a smoothie due to nutrient loss from freezing? Bananas are cheap and I love them, so I could use lots of bananas in my smooties.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:52 pm 
Gorilla

I remember you! Welcome back _raVen_! Those smoothie pics are making my stomach growl! I'm gonna try some green smoothies, usually make 'em with just fruit. I eat tons of kale, so why not drink it too!

Cheers!

Trev :drinkers: <smoothie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:32 am 
Elephant

Is it me or am I confused? :?