Signing in from Los Angeles...

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Phoenix
Manatee

MMM.........

#16 Postby Phoenix » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:20 am

Thanks my FINE FEATHERED FRIEND..... :lol:
My jaws are watering :essen:
Do not let the endless possibilities blind you to your one true path.

compassionategirl
Stegosaurus

#17 Postby compassionategirl » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 pm

Havent been online much as I have no internet at home these days but welcome to this awesome community. :zunge: :wav:

Looking forward to getting to know you better. :D
People reviled today for their activism will be tomorrow's angels, and people respected today for their power will be tomorrow's demons. History will absolve us and condemn them. ~ Paul Watson

Jay
Gorilla

#18 Postby Jay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Raven, what kind of fruit do you like in them? Pears were great but I just tried an apple with collard greens and it really doesn't taste very good.

9nines
Manatee

#19 Postby 9nines » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:33 am

Do you think this would be powerful enough:

--Cuisinart SmartPower Premier Blender

A wise choice, the Smart Power blender features a powerful 600-watt motor, 50-oz. glass jar, ice crush and pulse buttons plus count-up timer with continuous beep after 5 minutes of blending time. Cast metal and brushed stainless design. Includes instructions and recipe booklet.--

600 watts would be about 0.80 horsepower so it is about half the power of the Vitamax 4500, which has a 2 horsepower motor.)

I can get the Cuisinart one for $100 at a local store where I have a $65 gift certificate. The Vitamix will be $350.

What do you think?

Thanks.

_raVen_
Gorilla

#20 Postby _raVen_ » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Jay, I answered in your food thread. The author of the Smoothie article also lists pears as a favorite.

Hi, 9nines :)

I would save for a vitamix! It's so worth it. That's what I did.
People still have theirs after 25 years.
But, if you can't wait, a 600 watt would work.
Just add the fruit and liquid/water first, blend; add some leaves, blend; add more leaves; etc. This, so you won't overburden the blender.
The point is to completely emulsify the greens so there is no grittiness or tiny pieces so it's totally smooth.
Also, cold or frozen fruit and cold water or ice is good to keep the smoothie from overheating, if you find that happens.

I got my vitamix about 6 years ago and I never made smoothies. I used it all the time, though, for other recipes I'd make. Almost daily. I've been making green smoothies for over a year now. Just so you know the VitaMix is a workhorse, and you'll find you'll use it for other things.

:)

Evan
Manatee

#21 Postby Evan » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:10 pm

My Mom had a vita mix when I was growing up. It had a little tap on the side and I hated using it because that tap was impossible to get fully clean. I think it would be better without the tap.

Tyler Durden
Rabbit

#22 Postby Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm

Welcome! I'm from So.Cal as well. Where abouts are you?

robert
Site Admin

#23 Postby robert » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:20 pm

Awesome Tyler, you should meet up with us for the Vegan Vacation that will be a week in L.A. in late July or early-mid August...I'm still figuring it out but should have SET DATES in the next 5 days or so.

Tell your friends from So Cal to join our group too!

Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

_raVen_
Gorilla

#24 Postby _raVen_ » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 am

Hi :),
I'm in L.A. county. Welcome!

evan, what's a tap?

9nines
Manatee

#25 Postby 9nines » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 am

_raVen_ wrote:Jay, I answered in your food thread. The author of the Smoothie article also lists pears as a favorite.

Hi, 9nines :)

The point is to completely emulsify the greens so there is no grittiness or tiny pieces so it's totally smooth.

:)

My old blender does not seem to strain, with about 5 or 6 dark green leaves (chard, kale etc.) but it is gritty and stringy. I run it about 1 to 2 minutes.

How long does the Vitamix take to make it as smooth, as you describe?

_raVen_
Gorilla

#26 Postby _raVen_ » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:03 pm

Less than 30 seconds, 9nines. It is 2 horsepower, so it does a very smooooth job.
It varies depending on how much greens I stuff in there, or other things like ice, etc.; but it's about that long.

There is also the k-tec which is even more powerful at 3 horsepower (though it may not be as sturdy/reliable/long-lasting as the vitamix - not sure. I may get one, but I don't need one right now).

How are you doing it? do you put the fruit first and blend, then add greens? I would do that and try to get it smooth. *Then* add any liquid a bit at a time. This may help to get it fully pulverized without too much liquid to move it around and away from the blades. That would be my suggestion.
Otherwise, get the vitamix ;)

pazios2002
Elephant

#27 Postby pazios2002 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:13 am

Evan wrote:My Mom had a vita mix when I was growing up. It had a little tap on the side and I hated using it because that tap was impossible to get fully clean. I think it would be better without the tap.

you can order a container for the older model (the one i still use this moment) that does not have a tap (or spigot if you will), which was used for shooting homemade softserve ice cream out of. I have both the old container ( i use for compost) and the newer one, that resembles the one one the newer vitamixes (sp). YOu are right, food would always get stuck in the spigot, and cleaning out was not all that easy.

If you mother still has it, and is not using it, you should grab it and get the new container. I feel that the older design is better, and free is always cheaper!!! :D :D :D :D

combined my mother and I have had ours for about 15 years. :)

though admittedly I am using more often in the last 5 years then she did in the previous 10 :D
If I am "the man", then where is "the woman"?

cubby2112
Elephant

#28 Postby cubby2112 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:51 pm

I have been looking at these green smoothies quite a bit lately. I love greens, but it is hard to eat a lot of them, especially raw. These smoothies sound like a good solution. I would like to buy all the fresh I can, but I am in college and cannot splurge so much on it. Would frozen greens be any good at all? Or is it mostly pointless to put these in a smoothie due to nutrient loss from freezing? Bananas are cheap and I love them, so I could use lots of bananas in my smooties.
Cubby's Fitness Log

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

-offense74

Trev
Gorilla

#29 Postby Trev » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:52 pm

I remember you! Welcome back _raVen_! Those smoothie pics are making my stomach growl! I'm gonna try some green smoothies, usually make 'em with just fruit. I eat tons of kale, so why not drink it too!

Cheers!

Trev :drinkers: <smoothie

finbarrio
Elephant

#30 Postby finbarrio » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:32 am

Is it me or am I confused? :?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

Return to “Introductions”