Signing in from Los Angeles...

_raVen_

Hi, Everyone

I registered on this site a long time ago, posted once and only came back, being reminded by Jay (Hi, Jay ) about this site. I forgot what name I had originally registered!

Anyway, good to be here. I'm vegan, high raw; been vegan, I guess 10 + years and high raw over one year -- actually, I've been 100 % raw (food intake) but don't call myself or want to be really identified as a "raw foodist." And at any time I may fall into cooked food debauchery

My mission is to turn you all into lovers of Green Smoothies

If you don't know what they are read HERE

and HERE

these are *the* most nutritious things you can consume. AND what better way to get all those greens you know you're supposed to be consuming daily? Ha? What better way, I ask?

Nice to meet you All!

Edited by _raVen_

Hey Raven,

Welcome to the group! Great to have you here. Jay, thanks for bringing another member back to join us

Green drinks rule! I am eating a lot more raw foods these days. Ever since I met Tonya Kay and Brendan Brazier I started eating more raw foods and in the past month I've been eating mostly fruit all day at work and cooked foods at night.

But green drinks are for sure being consumed by me a lot now!

Welcome back!

Rob

Thanks so much for the welcomes!

Jay, I'm gonna hold you to that! Try them!

Robert, awesome aren't they?!!! So much better than green juices!

By the way, saw you in Veg News mag this month -- lookin' good!

And Congrats to VeganEssentials (Ryan) for his appearance there as well!

Brendan is great! He's such an inspiration. I love that he's high raw too; he's a credible, respectable source for nutrition and the legitimacy of eating lots of raw.

Seasiren, Phoenix, Richard, Flanders77, thanks, nice to meet you all.

Daywalker, thanks, I fancy meself a raven from time to time . Try the green smoothies!

Thank you Crash!

CrispyQ, hi . Try the smoothies. Make 'em sweet! You'll not be disappointed and you'll feel the energy!

Awesome, exciton, Yay! Lemme know how it comes out and what you think

Recognizing lots of names here...

Hi, Phoenix! I like newbies

Green smoothies are smoothies made with whole leaves of greens and fruit.

The original ratio is 60% Fruit: 40% Greens. You can vary this to taste, most beginners use more fruit if needed to suit their taste or you can add stevia to sweeten like I do.

The links I provided above (in my first post-the blue type) tells all about them; give them a read! They aren't long.

Here is an excerpt for some very simple smoothies; try these or use them as a guide. Eventually, you'll be whipping up your own to your own taste:

Mango-parsley

2 large mangos

1 bunch parsley

Water

Peach-spinach

6 peaches

2 handfuls of spinach leaves

Water

Mango-weeds

2 mangos

1 handful of lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane, etc

Water

Strawberry-banana-romaine

1-cup strawberries

2 bananas

½ bunch romaine

Water

Apple-kale-lemon

4 apples

½ lemon juice

4-5 leaves of kale

Water

Kiwi-banana-celery

4 very ripe kiwis

1 ripe banana

3 stalks of celery

Water

Pear-kale-mint

4 ripe pears

4-5 leaves of kale

½ bunch of mint

Water

Finger banana-spinach

10 finger-bananas

2 handfuls of spinach leaves

Water

Bosc pear-raspberry-kale

3 bosc pears

1 handful of raspberries

4-5 leaves of kale

Water

In a blender (a good powerful one is best, see note below) add your fruit and water. Then, add the green leaves (trim off the tough stalks)

Blend on "high" till super creamy and smooth. Adjust sweetness, if needed.

Drink immediately. Best to drink right away as nutrients are lost as it sits.

If kale, collards, or other greens taste too strong for you (try not to start out using bitter greens ;D) try lettuces or spinach or other mild green.

My favorites are bok choy, kale, collards, and mache (lamb's lettuce). Also mild and yummy are vegetable tops! The veggies you buy with greens attached can be eaten and are very nutritious; don't throw them away! For example, carrot tops, beet tops, parsnip tops, radish tops, etc. -- all are smoothie-able! See how great green smoothies are? No waste, and you get so much nutrition

Notes:

You can use a regular blender, but a powerful one is best. Have you heard of a VitaMix or a K-tec? They are super blenders. There is a European version at

THIS SITE, and they sell a VitaMix too.

A less expensive American source for VitaMix is HERE or you can go to the VITAMIX SITE.

Less expensive, but nice are the TRIBEST PERSONAL BLENDER or the MAGIC BULLET, both of which are smaller, inexpensive, come with accessories and are convenient and a favorite for folks who like to use them at work.

Personally, I think it's worth it to invest in high-powered blender like a VitaMix, K-tec, or the NewGena; you will find you use it a lot.

Otherwise use your regular blender but add the ingredients incrementally to avoid overburdening it. Add fruit and water first, blend; then add the greens a handful at a time; blend. Works just fine

these are very nutritious. They should be thick (or if you prefer thin add more water) and creamy.

Try any seasonal or favorite fruit. Summer fruits are yummy. You can add other things to this as well, such as a protein supplement or others.

Whew! Are your eyes rolling back into your head yet?!

One more thing: here are a few pics. So no one is confused, use the whole leaves in the blender NOT juiced greens, as the last picture shows.

Did I cover everything? Ask away if you have any questions!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Picture17320x240.jpg-Green Smoothie

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/SmoothiedGreens.jpg-Another...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Picture9320x240.jpg-kale, collards, bok choy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Greens4Smoothie1320x240.jpg-VitaMix blender full of greens

I just did 2 pears with three collard green leaves. It was good. It looked very green yet just tasted sweet. Next time I'll try 4 leaves. Definitely going to add that to my diet. It's very easy to make.

Thanks very much for bringing it up Raven.

Do you think this would be powerful enough:

--Cuisinart SmartPower Premier Blender

A wise choice, the Smart Power blender features a powerful 600-watt motor, 50-oz. glass jar, ice crush and pulse buttons plus count-up timer with continuous beep after 5 minutes of blending time. Cast metal and brushed stainless design. Includes instructions and recipe booklet.--

600 watts would be about 0.80 horsepower so it is about half the power of the Vitamax 4500, which has a 2 horsepower motor.)

I can get the Cuisinart one for $100 at a local store where I have a $65 gift certificate. The Vitamix will be $350.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Jay, I answered in your food thread. The author of the Smoothie article also lists pears as a favorite.

Hi, 9nines

I would save for a vitamix! It's so worth it. That's what I did.

People still have theirs after 25 years.

But, if you can't wait, a 600 watt would work.

Just add the fruit and liquid/water first, blend; add some leaves, blend; add more leaves; etc. This, so you won't overburden the blender.

The point is to completely emulsify the greens so there is no grittiness or tiny pieces so it's totally smooth.

Also, cold or frozen fruit and cold water or ice is good to keep the smoothie from overheating, if you find that happens.

I got my vitamix about 6 years ago and I never made smoothies. I used it all the time, though, for other recipes I'd make. Almost daily. I've been making green smoothies for over a year now. Just so you know the VitaMix is a workhorse, and you'll find you'll use it for other things.

Awesome Tyler, you should meet up with us for the Vegan Vacation that will be a week in L.A. in late July or early-mid August...I'm still figuring it out but should have SET DATES in the next 5 days or so.

Tell your friends from So Cal to join our group too!

Rob

Jay, I answered in your food thread. The author of the Smoothie article also lists pears as a favorite.

Hi, 9nines

The point is to completely emulsify the greens so there is no grittiness or tiny pieces so it's totally smooth.

My old blender does not seem to strain, with about 5 or 6 dark green leaves (chard, kale etc.) but it is gritty and stringy. I run it about 1 to 2 minutes.

How long does the Vitamix take to make it as smooth, as you describe?