Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I Can't Believe I'm Joining a Vegan Community!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:26 pm 
Rabbit

Two years ago, I'd have though you were all crazy new-age tree-huggers, but I've since been enlightened, and now I know this is the place where I belong.

Me: Brandon, 29, North Carolina, Computer programer.

I've been without meat for probably 2 months, and without milk and eggs for eight days now. Giving up dairy was harder because it was so omnipresent in my diet, but after the first few days of shock, I've grown used to working around milk/butter/sour cream/ranch dressing, and I feel better for it.

I initially found this site (by a link from what's now stevepavlina.com) a couple of years ago. Just recently, we moved into a new house, and I've created my "Fortress of Solitude" in the basement and started lifting weights again (for the first time in 3-4 years probably). I figured if I was going to get serious about getting fit, I need to make some dietary changes too.

So I'm new to the diet, but pretty experienced with the workout regimen. I've been impressed by all the intelligent, thoughful posts here, and I hope to become a contributing part of the community pretty soon. Thanks for Robert for making a cool site and to all the forum regulars for creating such a good resource.

Brandon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Brandon, good to have you here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:33 pm 
Elephant

Welcome! :hello2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:24 pm 
Elephant

Welcome ! :D

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:54 pm 
Elephant

Welcome!
I'm pro trees. Tree hugger is a bit of a stretch though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:56 pm 
Rabbit

rock on brutha...you're making some smart moves, keep it up. what kind of protein are you getting? I know when I first made the switch 4 years ago I had a serious lack of energy, til I figured it out. lately I make sure to get around 200-300 g. of protein daily - mostly from soy protein isolate, rice and hemp protein. just trying to save you some grief and keep you from getting discouraged, it can be a rough adjustment at first for some. This is my first post here too, seems like there's lots of cool people around here, very kind individuals from what I see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:43 pm 
Gorilla

Welcome to the team :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Brandon, welcome to our awesome team! Thanks for the kind comments and for telling us a bit about yourself.

We do indeed look forward to getting to know you on this site.

Yes, that place of solitude. I know it well. I don't have that area in my basement, but for years I used the gym for that. Now I'm a little high energy and chat too much in the gym, but I love that focus of just grinding it out rep by rep, working toward a goal.

You will find all kinds of support here.

Welcome aboard!

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:15 pm 
Stegosaurus

welcome Brandon. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:50 am 
Elephant

Fortress of Solitude....don't become superman and make us all scower :P

Welcome aboard and glad to hear that you were easily accustomed to the change. Really something ah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:04 am 
Elephant

Welcome Brandon.

Good decision to go vegan, you'll find out all the benefits soon enough :D

Superman fan? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:30 am 
Rabbit

Welcome Brandon.

Post subject: Welcome....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:05 am 
Rabbit

29 year old programmer new to this site? That sounds like my kinda person, but I may be biased, since I fit that description too. :) Welcome aboard. What kinda coding do you do? Glad you made the move to veganism. After a little while you never look back. Thinking how you used to consume animal juices will seem totally ridiculous.

ears switch off to the screams."

- Napalm Death: Food Chains

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:28 am 
Gorilla

Welcome Brandon! Crazy new-age tree-huggers, huh? That's me! :wink:

I think many veggies find it more difficult to give up dairy than meat. So many of our traditional 'comfort' foods are based on dairy, plus it's everywhere! Also, cheese has addictive properties that make giving it up even harder. :shock:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/barn ... uction.htm

snip...

Well, in 1981, Eli Hazum and his colleagues at Wellcome Research Laboratories in Research Triangle Park, N.C., reported a remarkable discovery. Analyzing samples of cow's milk, they found traces of a chemical that looked very much like morphine. They put it to one chemical test after another. And, finally, they arrived at the conclusion that, in fact, it is morphine.

more...

But that was only the beginning, as other researchers soon found. Cow's milk-or the milk of any other species, for that matter-contains a protein, called casein, that breaks apart during digestion to release a whole host of opiates, called casomorphins. A cup of cow's milk contains about six grams of casein. Skim milk contains a bit more, and casein is concentrated in the production of cheese.

If you examined a casein molecule under a powerful microscope, it would look like a long chain of beads (the "beads" are amino acids-simple building blocks that combine to make up all the proteins in your body). When you drink a glass of milk or eat a slice of cheese, stomach acid and intestinal bacteria snip the casein molecular chains into casomorphins of various lengths. One of them, a short string made up of just five amino acids, has about one-tenth the pain-killing potency of morphine.

===

Amazing, huh? It's a very interesting article & a property of cheese that I don't think many people are aware of.

BTW, I too would like to know more about what kind of programming you do. I'm pretty new at it -- 4 years -- but work with software engineers who have been coding since the 80's. Of course, there are some issues with that too! :wink:

Post subject: Re: I Can't Believe I'm Joining a Vegan Community!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:43 pm 
Gorilla

Quest Engine wrote:
Two years ago, I'd have though you were all crazy new-age tree-huggers, but I've since been enlightened, and now I know this is the place where I belong...

Brandon

Hey, I resemble that remark! :) I *love* trees and am a proud hugger. I used to talk to our tree in the back yard as a child :D

Nice to meet you, Brandon; welcome!