Hi from Phoenix

saydie

Implanted from Canada,

I am a recent Vegan, and so glad to have found this site

I was beginning to think that I was alone.

I hope to get back into shape and keep the Vegan lifestyle.

I have been told recently that it is imposible to be healthy by being both active and living vegetarian/Vegan lifestyle. And also that Soy milk is poison. It's getting tiring....

This morning, a well known personal trainer told me "I don't do Vegetarians or Vegans in my business"

I just about wanted to cry...

I was just looking for a personal trainer to help me

I want to get help in keeping my focus and wanted to know if there are any who wish to share meal plans. I am confused.

I have been carb-loading and have gained 30 lbs since becoming a Vegetarian, and now Vegan

Thanks for any help

I will need the POSITIVE feedback

Thank You so much for the welcome

Making life changes are not automatic. I've become a lot happier with myself because of the elimination of the toxicity in foods I used to consume. I can't bellieve i didn't do this sooner.

But I haven't been careful about my choice of meals.

I nibble all day.

I am trying to determine what works for me I guess.

I think going on my own will be my best bet. It's hard to talk about this to others. They think I come from another planet, or I just eat salad all day....

Welcome Saydie!

Great to have you here. I used to live in Phoenix. I hope that personal trainer wasn't Troy Alves He is a friend of mine and the bodybuilder who really inspired me to get involved in bodybuilding. He was my trainer back then, so he did work with vegans. So hopefully it's not him.

How is Phoenix? I haven't been there since I moved in 2001.

I'm a Canadian citizen too (I bet most board members didn't know that about me), although I was born in the US. My father and all his family are from B.C.

Welcome and yes, it is true. You will enjoy yourself here, you are not alone and we have some elite vegan athletes here who demonstrate everyday that you can thrive on a vegan diet in sports.

Have fun!

-Robert

Hey,

No, it isn't your friend. This man was in his 60's and pretty much set in his ways. I figured years of experience would make him an amazing trainer...maybe he is, but he gave me an eerie feeling.

Maybe you can tell me a little more about your friend in Phoenix? Does he work in a gym? I would hire a trainer who respects my choice of being Vegan. I guess the Vegan lifestyle is kinda new to trainers...don't know.

I moved here in 2001. I must say, I do miss the snow sometimes. Canada is a gorgeous country.

My sister is the Canadian Bodybuilding Champion of 2004. She placed first and got her pro IFBB card. She looks great and trains really hard. She has helped me so much and I learned a lot from her when I was back home. She inspired me to get my butt in the gym, but she's far now, and it's tough. I lost motivation...She's the one who pushed me into finding a good trainer who will work with me, regardless of my eating preferences.

I'm glad to have found you guys.

I really need a kick in the butt.

Thanks for the warm welcome

I have been told recently that it is imposible to be healthy by being both active and living vegetarian/Vegan lifestyle.

Hasnt the person who told you this ever heard of extremely successful athletes like Brenden Brazier, Alex Dargatz, and Robert Cheeke among many others? All these people are vegan and have won competitions at some point or another. I think you need to be armed with some of these names and some website info like this one and Brenden's to give to ignorant people when they make ignorant comments like that. I am always ready to direct people to those sites if they question whether you can be a top vegan athlete.

anyway, welcome! So many athletes here will be more than pleased to give you specific detailed info so stick around and soak up as much info as you can from them. Then go out there and prove the people in your life flat out wrong.

Hello Saydie, and welcome!

Your sister doesn't happen to be Mariam Power is she? Hope you get in good top shape and find a good trainer. There is a lot of educated people on this board (maybe trainers too) that I don't think would mind giving some insight to your goals. Good luck and welcome!

Welcome Saydie,

How unfortunate that you have encountered this mindless personal trainer.

As legendary (and vegetarian through 35 years) bodybuilder Bill Pearl points out in "Getting Stronger ...."there's nothing magic about eating meat that's going to make you a champion bodybuilder. Anything you can find in a piece of meat, you can find in other foods as well".

But as Daywalker said, you really don't need a personal trainer, so no worries

Cheers!v

I'm very happy about all your responses. Thanks.

I know I'll do fine here, there's lots of neat sites I'd like to check out

I'm very overwhelmed with the ignorance, so I pretty much try to keep my eating preferences personal. I feel Safe here...lol

~I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to respond to a specific person in this forum, so my answer to one that asked about my sister's name, Louise St-Pierre. She has her own site too, I think it's louisest-pierre.com... something like that.

And She works in a gym in downtown Toronto, I know one of you ladies lives there, maybe you can go say hello to her

I gotta go shopping for food today, I'm trying to figure out what it is I need to get, because I'm going to the gym this morning, and officially getting my butt in gear. I want that bikini body by summer

*I also have to figure out how to post a picture here.

Thanks for all your positive feedback !!

hi there! I'm near phoenix. I am in flagstaff, arizona

I can train you if you want to travel up here.

I've trained quite a few people already.

also i might decided to officially get my certification and PT at the local gym

-topher

Welcome Saydie!

I think you will find lots of misinformed people when it comes to veganism. I've had to educate my doctor regarding veganism!

Ask lots of questions -- this is a well informed group with lots of experience & a desire to make the path eaiser for others! So glad you found us!

I have been told recently that it is imposible to be healthy by being both active and living vegetarian/Vegan lifestyle.

Who told you that, your local butcher? That's so wrong it's bizarre. I, for one, have never felt healthier this past year after going from veggie to vegan. And the 30% reduction in my cholesterol level had my doctor shaking his head (and smiling). And my high bp has become low bp, tho other factors (way more fruit, less alcohol) may have helped that. Most importantly, tho, is that I just feel "lighter" - like my body is easier to be in. Don't know why that is, but I like it.

Anyway, welcome Saydie!