Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi from a Raw Vegan Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:01 am 
Rabbit

Hi all! I'm a Vegan Vegan! Been here in Vegas for the past 20 years and I must say I'm enjoying the site so far and wish I had known about this site years ago! Kinda long so bear with me.

I must say I'm new to raw food and I'm not a die hard vegan/vegetarian or bodybuilder. To give you a little background I dabbled in vegetarianism back when I was 14...back when I didn't have anyone to guide me and when I only thought salads and baked potatoes constituted vegetarianism. I'm not going to blame that totally on my weight gain, but it did mess up my metabolism pretty bad and when I started getting sick because I wasn't eating enough and not the right things I had to end it and went to being a "normal' carnivor. Hence my metabolism never really sped up as I wanted it to. I got FAT!

Speeding up to the last few years...I went on the Atkins diet...and had great success...lost 40 lbs in the first 3 months...and then lost another 60 lbs thru excersize (3 1/2 hours/day)over the next 7 months. I gained muscle, felt energized and excited about my new life. About two years ago, I found out I had female medical problems. I researched it and found that the drugs the doctor wanted to put me on were going to cause more harm than good and so looked for a more natural way of curing my problems. I started to eat only organic, cut out all red meat and started in on herbs. The doctor found that my problem was better but not great and I had to go in for surgery. That completed, I then realized that due to lack of excersize and two surgeries in a year...I was back up 60 lbs again. And while I was better medically, weightwise...I kept on gaining even with a completely vegetarian diet (way too much bread, beans, and rice). I went thru the natural phases that most do...I cut out all meat, all chicken, pork, fish, and sparse dairy. I started looking into ways to increase protien thru sprouting rice and removed dairy. But reading on cooked foods verses raw, and after trying it out for a bit, I find that it's just not as vitimine rich as going raw. I have now gone raw. Although I'm not die hard. But I'm trying.

I can tell by some of the postings already, I'm not gonna be the most popular person posting by far as I'm not here for ethical reasons, personally I believe we should be able to eat meat and the such...but with the hormones that are injected into the livestock, the problems with fear of mad cow and the bird flu, with the additives in milk products, and all the other crap companies putting into process foods...I find that for health reasons, it's better to go raw. If only we could also get non-GMO's too! Right now, I'm about 80-90% raw. I'm working out only 3 times a week til I can confidently be back to my old workout schedule. I do like my time in the gym! I'm back on the bandwagon of excersize and hope that within the next 5 years hopefully, I will be back to being slim, strong and cut. I really wanna see abs! But my main goal is not the weight loss(although that would be really nice) but to get stronger and quality of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:09 am 
Site Admin

Hey dude, welcome to the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 am 
Elephant

Welcome, Wonderwoman!
Is your keyboard broken? :D

Thanks for the detailed intro, it's an interesting story!
Great to have you here to share experience with us 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:25 am 
Elephant

Welcome :D !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:26 am 
Site Admin

Hey DayWalker, I just read your Signature. Thanks! It's nice of you to notice 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:34 am 
Rabbit

awww, aren't you all sweet! Oh and I forgot to add...if there is anyone here in Vegas that would like to go to the gym once in a while it would be great to pick up some new ideas rather than my standard workout. You know, it's always easier to train with a partner...keeps you motivated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:57 am 
Elephant

Welcome aboard wnddrrwmnn!

Also, Richard thanks for pointing it out. You go Alex!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:00 am 
Rabbit

Welcome!

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:12 am 
Manatee

welcome aboard

Post subject: Hi Michelle!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:25 am 
Rabbit

I'm not that far form you, But Vegas is a little far to go train...
Hello from Sunny Phoenix, AZ!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Welcome wnddrrwmnn!

Great to have you as part of our team! I've been to Vegas a number of times and really liked it. I attend the Mr. Olympia contest there when I'm able to.

Cool to see another Raw Food athlete as well. I don't know if we have others on here from Vegas but we can try to recruit some :)

Have a great time on the forum, I'm sure you'll make some friends here.

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:08 am 
Elephant

Welcome! :D

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:39 pm 
Gorilla

Welcome!
I was actually born in Vegas, but I haven't been back in years. Maybe soon, but probably not to work out :wink:
Anyway, glad to have you here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:46 pm 
Rabbit

veggymeggy wrote:
Welcome!
I was actually born in Vegas, but I haven't been back in years. Maybe soon, but probably not to work out :wink:

You are the second person I know to have moved to corvalis! What is it about that town?

Well if you are up to painting the town red one night...let me know...I don't get out nearly enough as I should!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:51 pm 
Gorilla

wnddrrwmnn wrote:
veggymeggy wrote:
Welcome!

You are the second person I know to have moved to corvalis! What is it about that town?

Well if you are up to painting the town red one night...let me know...I don't get out nearly enough as I should!

Well, Corvallis is only a temporary residence for me, I'm here ONLY for the university...it's not really my type of town 8)
I actually left Vegas for California, then up to Oregon. Still have family in Vegas though.

And to the other....hehe, I get out far MORE than I should! But hopefully I'll be hitting Vegas with friends in the not drastically distant future. We'll see....if we make it, I'd extend an invite to come out of course. :D The more the merrier!