Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:48 pm 
Rabbit

Greetings from across the pond! Welcome aboard! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:10 am 
Elephant

welcome james - sorry that I missed this thread!

Im also from Derby, though I havent lived there for 1 1/2 years now. I wonder if I met you when I was there - Im 6foot 8 so you would probably remember me.

Massive weight gain there mate - I have gained a similar amount over the last 2.5years.

Did I meet you at Lancaster sports centre at Christmas or I am thinking of someone else?

Jonathan

Repeat

Post subject: Re: Hello from Derby
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:57 am 
Rabbit

Animal wrote:
Welcome, James!

James wrote:
Currently weighing in at 225 pounds (recently finished bulking so need to shift a little lard over the next few months!) & was around 160 when I went vegan.

That's quite encouraging. My normal lean weight should be around 170lbs, and now I'm at 175. Your example is very motivating. Even average sized guys like us can get huge, it seems. Can you share your strategy (frequency of workouts and meals, supplements?) I guess genetics would also have an impact. Did this growth from 160 to 225 mostly occur over the last two years?

Hi Animal

According to body mass index my lean weight should also be around 175, so I'm well over that! I think part of the reason I've added so much weight is due to a natural 'filling out' process in my early twenties. When I first went vegan I was only 19 and playing a lot of hockey, hence pretty skinny. When I 'retired' from hockey my weight went up to around 200 but this was purely me filling out and being a lazy fat git.

When I started working out 3/4 years ago I shifted all the flab and went back down to around 175; in the last couple of years I've built back up to 225 through heavy weights and eating properly. I'm certainly carrying extra poundage around the gut but I've added plenty of muscle too.

Bascially I work out 3 times a week. Monday is legs (squats, stiff leg deadlift & other assistance stuff), Wednesday is pull (deadlift, chins, rows, bicep work), Friday is push (bench, overhead press, dips, tricep work). My goals are strength and size, rather than getting cut/ripped, so I stick to a 5x5 routine on everything except the deadlift (usually just heavy singles). I'm restricted slighty by a dodgy back & hip (combination of hockey injury & 'ossification' of the hip), so although I use a powerlifting-style routine I'm nowhere near being a proper powerlifter.

I'm pretty careful about my diet so I try to avoid refined & processed crap as much as possible (not always possible given that my wife is not vegan and not particularly into healthy eating!). I eat lots of tofu, beans, nuts, lentils, wholewheat bread & pasta, brown rice etc. I supplement with pea protein shakes twice a day (always have a shake with some dextrose straight after a workout) and also use creatine sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:02 am 
Rabbit

jonathan wrote:

Im also from Derby, though I havent lived there for 1 1/2 years now. I wonder if I met you when I was there - Im 6foot 8 so you would probably remember me.

Massive weight gain there mate - I have gained a similar amount over the last 2.5years.

Did I meet you at Lancaster sports centre at Christmas or I am thinking of someone else?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Don't think we've met. I've never been to Lancaster sports centre as far as I can remember.

I post over on veganfitness as 'xJimx', where we have corresponded in the past. I'm the guy who works out at the Virgin disco!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:19 am 
Gorilla

Hi, James! Welcome \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:00 pm 
Rabbit

Thanx for the detailed response, James.

I'm following a similar regime, although I often skip the leg workouts due to lack of time (I have naturally strong legs, so I am more concerned about upper body strength).

One thing that annoys me is that I can lift heavier weights than some guys I know who look bigger. Maybe its a byproduct of veganism, but I get more strength increases than visible muscle size.

ears switch off to the screams."

- Napalm Death: Food Chains

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:09 am 
Elephant

James wrote:
jonathan wrote:

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Don't think we've met. I've never been to Lancaster sports centre as far as I can remember.

I post over on veganfitness as 'xJimx', where we have corresponded in the past. I'm the guy who works out at the Virgin disco!

Oh aye - good to see you over here Jim. You confused me for a second with the different name :D

Its just that I went to lancaster sports centre at christmas and met this big strong vegan (benching 95kg for 10reps, albeit to within a couple of inches of his chest) and he said he would sign up to veganfitness or veganbodybuilding. Havent heard from him since :?

Jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:29 am 
Gorilla

jonathan wrote:

Jonathan

6 foot 8. Wow.

Welcome James.

I'm also James from England.

Enjoy the forum.