New Girl

escalopines

Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I used to be a vegetarian, developed anorexia at a certain point (nothing to do with vegetarianism by the way), and then in recovery I got interested in bodybuilding. I mistakenly thought that eating meat was the only way to put on muscle mass, but this site has opened my eyes quite a bit!

I had no problem being vegetarian, but coming back to it I now feel that it is not enough, and so I am determined to become vegan.

My question is, are there any Canadians on this board? I would just appreciate any info on good vegan stores in Toronto, as I am new to veganism and most supermarkets do not carry an acceptable range of animal-free products. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome New Girl!

We have at least 3 or 4 members from Toronto and a number other members from various parts of Canada.

So I'm sure some people from your area will be able to help you out with local places to shop, etc.

Welcome aboard and have fun!

Hello!

I am from Toronto. Jay was right; i would love to help you out. Okay, vegan friendly stores that I shop at:

1) The Big Carrot (on the Danforth, near pape I think).

2) Essence of Life (southeast corner of Lawrence and Warden Avenues)

3) D'Ambrosia (Yonge and Steeles - ish).

4) Whole Foods (somewhere near Avenue Road and Bloor).

The service at D'Ambrosia sucks, but some stuff you can get cheaper there. The people at Essence of Life really know where the vegan products are, and they are reasonably priced. SO if you say, "I am looking for vegan marshmellows , they will take you right to that product. They are very helpful and very nice. So are the people at Big Carrot.

I have never been inside of the Whole Foods because I detest driving downtown.

I found vegan marshmellow topping at D'Ambrosia the other day and I was elated!!!! (I need some junk food once in a while).

100% VEGAN RESTAURANTS: Fressen on Queen Street, and Vegetarian Haven (cant remember the street). Vegetarian Haven is fully vegan and has the most awesome cheesecakes and chocolate cakes.

When I am less busy soon, we can go shopping together and then for some vegan grubb.

wow! Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, and compassionategirl, you gave me exactly what I was looking for. Fressen sounds familiar, and Ambrosia seems to be near my house, so I'll definitely be dropping by there. Looks like I have some shopping to do now.

Again, thanks a bunch to everyone!