Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:27 pm 
Rabbit

Hello. I am very new to the vegan/organic lifestyle. I am a female fitness competitor and have decided to change my lifestyle due to a recent bad experience with meat that left me very sick and fatigued.

I am hoping to learn more about this lifestyle and how to construct a correct diet to help with my bodybuilding.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Jeanice,

Welcome to our group! It is great to have you here. Feel free to post any questions you like. We have some awesome athletes here, as well as awesome vegans who can help answer your questions.

Great to hear you are joining the Vegan Fitness lifestyle :D

Feel free to explore the main site www.veganbodybuilding.com as well.

Have a great day and we look forward to hearing from you!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:37 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hi jeanice!

Respect going out to you. I guarantee that being a vegan fitness competitor will be one of your most proudest of accomplishments.

I can assure you that the rewards you will reap for your health, body and spirit will outweigh any potential problems or challenges you may at first come across.

Just stick to it, and when you are there don't ever go back. It is not as hard as non-vegans often think. Just look at some of the hot vegan bods on this website. :wink:

It just takes a little research, planning and disciple. And anything worth doing in life isn't usually easy any way.

We are hear to support you in any way we ca. You rock! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:50 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks guys! Well Currently. Of course like most bodybuilders during this time I am trying to cut fat down. Right now I am on your usual 5-6 meals a day. Consisting mostly of no meat and nothing processed. Mainly protein shakes, nuts and flax. I am looking to turn to Veganisim 100 % with the help of you guys. What I really need to know is what are the best as far maintaning a healthy lifestyle as well as maintaining/gaining muscle and lowering bodyfat. I have searched through the site and am still a bit confused as far as what to eat for breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner. I am small 5'2 and about 120-130lbs weights vary during on and off season muscle gain/muscle lost fat loss ratio.

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:21 pm 
Elephant

Welcome to the site. As for food and what to eat, we would need more information such as Bodyfat, height, and stuff like that to make the adequate calculations. Feel free to ask any questions and we will try our best. You are saving a lot of animals in your transition. Whey Protein is extracted from Animal milk, incase you didnt know. I for one didnt know that till awhile. You could go with Soy Protein if ya like. Although they both have different qualities, such as Whey with BCAA and soy with arginine and glutamine, soy still is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:40 pm 
Rabbit

Well Currently standing I am 5'2 130lbs about. After I got sick from eating meat. I gained a little weight then I lost it. But not tremendous. I pretty much know how to construct a diet. Because I did do it for my competition.

After I got sick, my doctor insisted I higher by BF%. Obviously when you compete it is low. Right now its @ about 18 Percent. 30% is about obese and I am far from that. The only thing I really need to know is the food choices that will help me succeed.!!!!!! Thanks for all your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:16 pm 
Elephant

Hi there again,

Like I said, you can use soy as an alternative for one. What exactly is in your diet right now? Dont forget about fiber, it is the "draino" of foods. Generally have that after a meal so it pushes it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:31 pm 
Rabbit

Well I usually oats and protien for breakfast. I really just dont eat meat anymore. But I want to change 100% to Vegan. Fish and brown rice and veggies for lunch same for dinner minus carbs and the usual snack protein shake or something like that. Soy protein like veggie burgers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:12 pm 
Elephant

Well I was speaking in terms of shakes, because when you said Protein the first time I thought you were talking about protein shakes. As for veggie burgers, they work really good too. I have some vegan ones at home and they are mighty tasty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:44 pm 
Stegosaurus

HI jeanice,

There are many threads that talk about people's favourite foods, what they eat for breakfast, etc. and I think Rob has posted somewhere on this site a list of some of the foods he eats.

Don't really have much time right now but here is a quick list of some vegan protein sources:

Soy milk (I drink a lot of it - mixed with berries and stuff - note that unsweetened soy milk is gross tasting, but I prefer to get it (low in carbs) and then mix lots of berries (which takes care of the carbs).

LOTS of Yves faux meat choices - packed with vitamins, excellent sources of protein. next time you are at the grocery store, just read the nutritional info of some. My favourites include the Yves veggie ground round, and the Yves bologna slices. There are many others.

Lentils, kidney beans. etc.

Nuts and seeds.

Green peas (which I love)

etc.

There are a few people training for competition right now. I think Topher and Robert might be two of them ????

Perhaps they can share there typical diets again on this thread with you. Or just navigate a little more and read all the different threads about health, nutrition, and especially the why vegan on the home page and the "Why not fish" thread .

Make sure you are getting omega 3s by consuming flax seeds or flax seed oil.

Talk to you soon.

Never stop wanting to learn about all this veganism stuff!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:11 am 
Elephant

As for the flaxseed, for vegans, be careful with it. Make sure you read the back. Majority of the time, the pill is made from an animal, such as gelatin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:19 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks all for your help! I plan to compete in October thats why I am so anal about what to eat. Cals etc. Its been a part of my life for the last few years (eating healthy) being vegan is just the next step. More to read up on! :o

Post subject: flax
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:44 pm 
Elephant

a good alternative to flax pills is to eat ground flax seed, or some soymilk has omega 3 in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:26 pm 
Rabbit

Right, I gotcha. Apparently I dont know as much as I thought. Much more reading needs to be done as soon as possible. But definitley need my protein sources. I eat a lot of oatmeal and brown rice, sprouted bread. natural butters etc. What are your fat sources?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 pm 
Elephant

Hi Jeanice,

For fat I eat avocadoes, peanuts, cashew nuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, peanut butter.

I think humuos and vegetable margarine are good sources of fat too.

Definately take flaxseed/linseed in either seed, capsule or oil format

You've got plenty of time until you compete, to try and you will find adjusting easier than you expect.

Your body fat should lower as you have eliminated animal produce from your diet.

I am a big advocae of oats - with soy milk for breakfast, and cooked with water as porridge for supper. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I snack a lot on bananas, prunes, dates, figs, raw carrots. See the thread in the Diets and Nutriiton section to get an idea of what us guys and gals eat regularly.

Matt.