New to the board

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

lab0red
Finch

New to the board

#1 Postby lab0red » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Hey everyone,

I have been a vegan for the last 4 years. I am a male, 5' 9" and as embarrassed as I am to admit this, I weighed 330 pounds before I started my vegan diet. I had experimented with vegetarianism/veganism for several years before I finally committed to the diet. I knew I was eventually going to become really sick with my lifestyle. Diabetes, heart problems, etc. In less than two years I went from 330 to 192. I was shooting for 160 pounds and then I would focus on building muscle (though all along I have been lifting weights 3 days a week but several days a week of cardio). The last two years has been a bit of a struggle for me though. I have gone up and down several times, hitting a high of 228 at one point. Now I am about 215 but I have not been down under 200 for about a year now. I'm not making any excuses for myself. I know what the problem is...my portion sizes have gone back up and I have been eating too many vegan treats. Other than that, I am still eating exceptionally well. I am by no means a junk food vegan. I drink a lot of green smoothies, eat salads every day, whole grains, plenty of vegetables and raw foods...some nuts. But I also find myself (lately almost every few days or so) eating an entire bag of vegan cookies, or eating a big plate of brown rice pasta with veggie meat. When I'm at my best, I don't eat any sweets save for some fruits. I hardly touch the veggie meats either, but when I am at my worst, I indulge in both too often.

I joined the forum to network with other vegans and to help myself recommit to what I started 4 years ago. By next summer I want to be at my goal weight (160 or under). Then I want to shift my focus to bodybuilding. For now, do plenty of cardio and I lift 3 days a week (only one exercise per bodypart, 3 sets 12/10/6-8 reps, increasing the weight with each set). I am a bit firmer than I was when I was at my largest, but I don't seem to be able to increase the amount I can lift (my strength). Perhaps I need to focus on the weight loss now and then worry about building muscle.

Anyway, I am hoping to learn some more about fitness and weight loss at the forum. I just purchased Robert Cheeke's book on bodybuilding. I look forward to reading it and learning from it.

That's all from now.

John

Return to “Introductions”