New Vegan losing too much weight

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

bradlywin
Finch

#1 Postby bradlywin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Well, after reading "the china study" I decided to give up all of my favorite foods for a life of true health, and gain New favorite foods... I have always been physically fit (used to be a crossfit junkie) and no matter how "in shape" I was, my internal health (cholesterol) has slowly gotten worse. Well, I am 5'10" and was around 190lbs when I became vegan only a little over a month ago. Not trying to lose weight, I am now 175lbs (what I walked around at when I was a boxer over 10 yrs ago). I feel great, but am tired of coworkers telling me I look "emaciated" because of how fast I have dropped weight. Is this okay or am I missing something in my diet? I am not trying to be a body builder (maybe I'm in the wrong forum) but I was attracted to this site because I still want to maintain a muscular build. Do vegans still take protein powder? I have been only eating natural veggies, fruits, grains, etc... not really paying much attention to calories and protein intake. Thanks for any advice, and I look forward to becoming part of this!

chewybaws
Elephant

Re: New Vegan losing too much weight

#2 Postby chewybaws » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:17 pm

It's quite simple, you're probably not eating as many calories as you were before you went vegan.

If you want to put on weight, eat more calories than you're expending.

chrisjs
Elephant

#3 Postby chrisjs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:07 pm

bradlywin wrote:not really paying much attention to calories and protein intake.
If you're really having problems gaining/maintaining weight then start paying attention. There are good vegan protein powders out there if you want to go that route. The most popular are soy, pea, rice, and hemp, though there are others as well.

jungleinthefrunk
Gorilla

#4 Postby jungleinthefrunk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:58 pm

I hope you like peanut butter. And I wish I had the same problem!
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

chrisjs
Elephant

Re: Re: New Vegan losing too much weight

#5 Postby chrisjs » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:04 pm

jungleinthefrunk wrote:I hope you like peanut butter. And I wish I had the same problem!
Peanut butter is my weakness as well, a delicious weakness. :)

bradlywin
Finch

#6 Postby bradlywin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks, I think where I'll start is paying attention and make sure I am getting enough calories. I would really like to not take any powder, and I guess I will have some peanut butter with breakfast!

MattSxvx
Gorilla

#7 Postby MattSxvx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:22 pm

EAT MORE

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#8 Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 am

bradlywin wrote:Thanks, I think where I'll start is paying attention and make sure I am getting enough calories. I would really like to not take any powder, and I guess I will have some peanut butter with breakfast!

Yeah just record your calorie counts for a few days and see if you are getting enough cals, protein, etc.
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

robert
Site Admin

#9 Postby robert » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Welcome!

Hope all is going well.

RC

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Lean and Green
Elephant

#10 Postby Lean and Green » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Mmmmmmm peaaanut butter :)

Whole foods diet is the wtg.

Protein pow is definitely an option.

this is a forum for vegans into a healthy minded lifestyle more than anything. :-).

Lots of food advice here already. Just wanted to say hello, welcome and that I'm so happy you're coming by to check out the forum. See ya around ;)
Where do you get your protein?
http://www.VeganProteins.com

Joelk wrote:But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Return to “Introductions”