Older beginner

Introduce yourself. Tell us about your training history, how long you've been vegan, share some of your goals and some of your interests.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

pawnjuggler
Finch

Older beginner

#1 Postby pawnjuggler » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been a vegetarian for about 18 years, and just recently started moving toward vegan.
I've also just started working out at a gym about a month ago after being sedentary for quite a few years. I'm 59 years old so it's a bit of a challenge starting a fitness program at this age. However it is going very well and I'm looking forward to making good progress. I don't think age is any excuse. I started learning to play classical guitar at age 48 when many people said I was "too old". Nonsense.
Any suggestions from anyone on training and transitioning to vegan are welcome.

Joseph

jungleinthefrunk
Gorilla

Re: Older beginner

#2 Postby jungleinthefrunk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:06 pm

dont take crap from anyone regarding protein. you can easily get 200-300 grams a day with rice protein and eating correctly. what specifically are looking to learn about? not like im qualified to tell u lol...although i went from last year being a 180lb lacto-ovo-pescatarian who rarely exercised to a 130lbs vegan who can lift more than a lot of guys at the gym. ...
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

bba
Finch

#3 Postby bba » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 am

Welcome to the forum, I am new here too :)

juliancw
Rabbit

#4 Postby juliancw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:40 am

Ive seen guys your age in the gym who could easily out lift and out run many of my friends in their early 20's! So I totally agree with your view!

pawnjuggler
Finch

#5 Postby pawnjuggler » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm trying to get a better handle on my workout routine. Right now I do upper body one day, and legs the next day. I workout 5 days a week. I do aerobics daily. How often do I change up the routine? I've heard that at my age (59) rest days are more important; true or false? I feel fine with my current routine, with plenty of energy etc. I have been adding new exercises a little at a time. I'm just not sure how to structure my workouts for maximum effectiveness.

pv vegan
Rabbit

#6 Postby pv vegan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi Joseph,

Welcome. I am also new here. A little older myself (51) and getting back in shape but a long time vegan. Oh and I'm a female. We oldies can do it too!

VeganDougie
Rabbit

#7 Postby VeganDougie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:51 am

Hi,
sorry if this late but I just wanted to add my thoughts. I am 41 and just getting back into things after a long lay off and severe back problems. Just go for it is my advice, maybe you could become a role model for the "older fitness fanatics". also i am learning classical guitar after playing rock guitar since age of 14 so another reason why i had to post a response. (You heard of pumping nylon?)

Lean and Green
Elephant

Older beginner

#8 Postby Lean and Green » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Wanted to say welcome and love your can do attitude!!
Where do you get your protein?
http://www.VeganProteins.com

Joelk wrote:But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

Return to “Introductions”