New to the board.

ForwardConcern

I just ordered Robert's book looking forward to getting it.

I'm 30 years old, and have been vegan for 16 years since around the age of 14. Once in a blue moon (a year or so) I may let myself ingest a bit of dairy but my diet has been 99.9999999999999..% animal free if I had to do the math.

I went vegan first for health purposes and love all the other aspects that go along with it. If it wasn't for punk rock or more specifically a band called Propagandhi the idea would have never crossed my mind, good thing records have liner notes.

I've always exercised a little, getting more into it in my late 20's (I use to be way too skinny). I've been focussing on weight lifting and running the past year, even took a personal trainers certification course to take it all in a bit more.

This month I've finally started sitting down and counting the calories and looking at my macronutrient levels. In three days I've already balanced my diet with what I have set for my self. 45% Carbs, 30% Protein, 25% fat, (Thank Steve Jobs for iPhone apps). My protein intake has never been this high and I'm already feeling a huge difference (180-200g on off days up to 300+ on heavy training days). I'll probably be posting some questions and looking for suggestions.

Feel free to check out my training blog I've kept for the past year http://survivalofthestreet.tumblr.com

Thanks

-Stacy

Stacy I agree with you on the benefits of increased protein intake for training purposes and our macro levels look good too!

Dont forget to give your body a break for a couple of months each yr on protein though as it is harder to digest.

Like how you became vegan also, cool story . Inserts rock!

Looking forward to seeing your journal.

Well I'm a week in to my new diet and it already feels like it's gonna make a difference. My recovery time was lacking prior and once I started getting to heavy weight last May I had to dial it back and work on bringing it up again because I was sacrificing my form.

Hopefully diet will make the difference I'm just starting to get back up to the heavier weight. My protein intake is almost double what I did before on a heavy day. Prior I'd just eat whatever and have a few Vega Shakes throughout the day.

I suppose I feel like my lifts are lacking still but here's hoping diet helps with that. I've just started reading Roberts book I'm basically on a Maintenance Diet / Leaning out diet right now. Somewhere between. I'm not trying to do any of this professionally just for my self so I'll save the bulking up mode for another day. Not to mention I'm trying to find a balance between Weight Training and Running (I run barefoot with those funny shoes so I'm still slowly easing myself into distance after two injuries for doing too much too soon) and I want to get into boxing when I have the time.

I get my protein from pretty much everything I can, Powders, Tofu, Veggies, Nuts, Seeds, Legumes, Grains my diet was already broad. I have the good fortune to work at a health food store so I have easy access to every thing I need. And if I'm in a bind for time prepared options to choose throughout the day. On top of that I live in a neighborhood here in Toronto called Kensington Market (for 11 years now) which is incredibly diverse when it comes to food and has stores that cater to my every need mostly at affordable or discount prices. It's also home to 5 Veg/Vegan Restaurants, including a vegan burrito place heavy on the seitan as well as Vegan donuts (though I haven't let myself have on in a while). A ton more restaurants with vegan options. And I have another 8 or so Vegan restaurants in walking distance. Not to mention a pizza place that'll deliver and will use Daiya Cheese.

Short answer I get my protein from pretty much everything. Right now since I'm restricting the intake of certain macronutrients I have been relying on powders to help me balance them. There's a great new product made here called Vegan Harmonized Protein. I also use Vegan Proteins Plus, Vega Meal Replacer, Vega Sport (Protein), Brown Rice protein, and another product called Complete Vegetarian Protein I turn to on days I'm going to need an extra scoop (this is the only powder I use with soy in it). My only frustration with most powders are there sodium content.