I am going through a complete shift in my life and have been a vegetarian since 2008 now, which came with a little resistant at first.
I am really into fitness and health, but more importantly love and adore animals...hence the wanting to change to the Vegan lifestyle.
I would love to get my % Body Fat down to 15% as my first goal (currently a 31 year old female at 26-27%) and then down to 12% and my next goal but I am having difficulty working out what to eat when changing to a vegan lifestyle.
I know about eating smaller meals and have read Roberts body building book which was brilliant. Being female, I don't want to bodybuild but develop a slim fitness model body. I find that I start getting chunky legs when training (not sure if this is because of my past sport of competitive tennis and being only 5ft 1" tall. I also did a 21 day vegan and found that my body was getting smaller but was having for lose fat on the body, along with insane cravings for sugar foods and bread, is this part of the body change process and is a case of being patient?
At present I am training 4-5 times a week, a mix between bodyweight and weights, along with TRX.
Cardio I mix in some HITT 2 times per week.
I know I need to really focus on my diet which is getting better slowly apart from mt weakness of chocolate and bread. I started to eat more egg whites and some whey protein (even considered chicken for awhile as people loads of people telling me and stuff I was reading that its easier to drop body fat and maintain muscle), but as I said I am keen to go vegan and train...but be a healthy vegan. Roberts book was a great inspiration for this
Also, there is so much conflicting information from needing more protein and less carbs to drop fat, which can be hard when beans and lentils have high carb content. The you read things that say fruit makes you fat, along with potatoes (but to be potatoes are better than bread and fruit is better than sweets)...So, the whole thing is getting well confusing and causing me to be stuck!!!
Really what I would like is some advice from anyone who knows much about this, even Robert if he's about;
- training for a female fitness body (not bodybuilding)? Cardio/resistances (weights/bodyweight training)
- Nutrition and dealing with cravings
- Putting everything together, as all the info I research is there but putting together is the problem for me. info overload and conflicting info
- how to adapt training as after a few weeks (4 wks) my body seems to find it easy? I add weight, but start gong to heavier weights where its just hard to lift but no real muscle burning affect
- dealing with people's resistance and eating out with out feeling awkward to ask about vegan food? Then there is no option and non-vegans start to feel bad but what to eat there. So then I feel like I should just eat a vegetarian meal! Advice would be great?
Final question; do you think it is possible to achieve a female fitness model body on a ethical vegan diet?
Well for me is it, at 5ft 1", female, weighing around 118lbs, with me being more pear shape and storing a some fat around the ab area (down to too much sugar foods - I read about hormones) as well as thighs???
Any advice, ideas, info, plans I would really appreciate it as I have been wanting to go to a vegan lifestyle for way too long now, and its bugging me!!
Thanks for reading and can't wait to hear from you all soon!!