Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New here, almost vegan...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 am 
Rabbit

PlantBasedCaveman wrote:
Yes, perhaps I should start making a list of B12 sources. I understand that there is B12 in algae, but I don't know about its bioavailability... and yes, i understand that in the "ol days" we used to get B12 from soil that was still attached to vegetation. I didn't understand it to mean that the plants absorbed the B12 and then the B12 was transferred to whoever ate the plant. Is this so?

Where do wild animals get their B12? Is it an essential nutrient for them or is it a non-essential nutrient for them? Do they produce it like we produce cholsterol? Do they even need it? Sorry for the silly questions but I am trying to understand this B12 issue.

I think B12 grew in bacteria *on* the plants but I'm not certain that that's how it worked.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 am 
Rabbit

You may also find this book helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Freak-Being ... 344&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 pm 
Rabbit

Thank you for the replies. I have been trying to create a doubt about the "B12 must come from animal products" issue belief since I started exploring plant-based diets. I have managed to find that everything a human needs can be obtained “naturally” from fruits, vegetables, beans and nuts - except B12. It is an essential nutrient for humans so I am trying to figure out how we maintained a supply of B12 before the advent of vitamin supplements. The answer always seems to come full circle back to animal products. Of course, today it is a very different type of food supply of animal products than it was 100 years ago. Today these food sources are polluted with steroids, antibiotics, preservatives, etc and are produced in a way that should bring great shame to humans.

In any event, these are my questions so far:

1. If we get our B12 from animals, where do they get their B12 from? In other words, the animals we get our B12 from are mostly vegetarian ie; cows, pigs, chickens, etc. Are they getting it from vegetation or do their bodies produce B12?

2. If they are getting it from vegetation, why can’t we get it from vegetation, especially being on a plant-based diet?

And further, with respect to number 1 above, it’s interesting that most humans are not getting B12 from animals that are meat eaters i.e. lions and tigers, but rather from animals that are vegetarians/vegans. It’s all very thought provoking and interesting. I don’t know what it all means.

Thanks for the replies. And yes, I'll take any links you have that can shed light on this.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:25 pm 
Rabbit

Bonn1997, I'll put that on my "to read" list... Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 pm 
Rabbit

PlantBasedCaveman wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I have been trying to create a doubt about the "B12 must come from animal products" issue belief since I started exploring plant-based diets. I have managed to find that everything a human needs can be obtained “naturally” from fruits, vegetables, beans and nuts - except B12. It is an essential nutrient for humans so I am trying to figure out how we maintained a supply of B12 before the advent of vitamin supplements. The answer always seems to come full circle back to animal products. Of course, today it is a very different type of food supply of animal products than it was 100 years ago. Today these food sources are polluted with steroids, antibiotics, preservatives, etc and are produced in a way that should bring great shame to humans.

In any event, these are my questions so far:

1. If we get our B12 from animals, where do they get their B12 from? In other words, the animals we get our B12 from are mostly vegetarian ie; cows, pigs, chickens, etc. Are they getting it from vegetation or do their bodies produce B12?

2. If they are getting it from vegetation, why can’t we get it from vegetation, especially being on a plant-based diet?

And further, with respect to number 1 above, it’s interesting that most humans are not getting B12 from animals that are meat eaters i.e. lions and tigers, but rather from animals that are vegetarians/vegans. It’s all very thought provoking and interesting. I don’t know what it all means.

Thanks for the replies. And yes, I'll take any links you have that can shed light on this.

Joe

This is an issue I've lost interest in since vegan forms of B12 are highly available. That said, I'm sure you can find lots of information quickly with a Google search. PETA, Vegan Outreach, Compassion over Killing, and many other groups have FAQ sections. Animal Liberation Front has a bad reputation in many circles but they have a gigantic FAQ section that I'd definitely expect would address this issue. You might want to look at their whole FAQ section actually.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:45 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks I'll take a look...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:16 am 
Finch

I'm a newbie here! It's so great to be here..