New here and new to vegan

mlinger4g

Well good day everyone,

I am new to the vegan lifestyle. I am doing a 30 day cleanse sort of speak. I started 3 days ago by cutting out dairy and refined sugar and plan on by the end of 30 days to be on a whole food plant based diet. Maybe earlier, you never know.

A little about myself and the decision to go vegan. I 37, father of 4 daughters and husband to a beautiful wife. I got into weight lifting when I was 12 years old. Just messing around with my uncle's old concrete and plastic weight set. Then I got my hands on a muscle and fitness magazine and I was blown away by what I say. That is what i wanted to do and look like. I never really got the support from my parents and family so i would start and stop. start and stop.Eventually weight lifting became something i did when i was mad and frustrated so i never really stuck with it for long. I built up a nice base of muscle but was never lean . My lowest body weight was around 153 lbs at 6'1" and that was for wrestling.

Flash to the future. Now I'm married with daughters who look up to me. I dabbled here and there but again never really stuck with it. I started a program ( I'm not trying to promote it) called P90x and what i thought I knew about weight training and exercise changed. I made it 6 weeks before a back problem put me out and i was making great progress. Better than I ever had. I tried 3 more times but injury and the death of my grandfather sidelined me.

Now im coming into my sixth week of training and recently watch the documentary Forks over Knives and it solidified all the thoughts that I had that the SAD is slowly killing us and that I needed to go back to what nature had intended me to eat a whole food plant based diet, and this is what I intend to do. Im a little concerned about the volume of food i need to eat to ensure I don't lose what mass i have and to be able to pack on some at the same time. so any advice from anyone would be helpful and appreciated

Find ur like #1 favorite plant based source of protein and your fine. The carbs can still come from all familiar items like rice and bread and potatos etc. I would look at chickpeas, pinto beans, and certain nuts as top choices. veggies are standard. The only part from a bodybuilding perspective is that you get enough protein(which most people use meat for)

• 1 month later...

Welcome and congratulations. I saw that show also as well as Food Inc. and they had an impact. I have been using this forum as a source of knowledge. There are some great people here that know a lot. Read, research and learn. Try some new things and give it hell. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Welcome!

It’s really easy to get all the calories, protein, and nutrition on a whole food plant based diet.

The challenge is finding what foods work for you (taste good, good verity, and easy access, so on..).

The key that made it easy for me was to eat the rainbow, (lots of different colored foods not just brown) cut down on the starches, and increase the veggies and green leafy foods.

Protein is really not an issue, even though we think it is, but if it makes you feel better Vega is a great vegan product with lots of protein.

P90X is a great workout, good luck with it!

-Kenny